What I need to do from the starting point.

ForumCommissar

What I need to do from the starting point.

Postby ForumCommissar » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 pm

I currently have a 3.6 GPA. I plan on graduating with a 3.8, and have calculated that this is within the realm of possibility for me (I have gotten past the hard stuff and can now steadily coast on As). In order to get significant scholarship, I am aiming for at least a 171 on the lsat, because then I can get significant scholarship at a lower T14 or maybe even a better one at a mid-level T14.

Mylsn and LSP also states that Harvard is not out of the question with a 174/175, but I simply find that hard to believe no matter what the numbers tell me. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I just took a diagnostic test and a got a 160. Absolutely bombed Logic Games, did well on one logical reasoning, quite a bit less so in the other (got nervous about time), and did fantastic at reading comprehension.

I'm currently a junior and plan on taking the June LSAT, since I heard the February LSAT has some issues with determining what you did wrong, and the earlier start the process the better retaking will go.

So here are my main questions:

What materials should I start with? Should I buy drilling materials and start with that, or take more tests firsts? Or should I go on to 7sage first, or get the pwergames bible?

Right now I have 10 months, am I starting too early? I planned it this way so the first 4 months can be relaxed studying and ramp it up starting the 6-month mark. However; would I run out of materials by the LSAT date?

Also I am on full undergrad scholarship and make 21k/year so I don't have to worry about finances.

Thank you guys for your help and support.

maybeman

Re: What I need to do from the starting point.

Postby maybeman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Prioritize getting that 3.8. A lot of tls thinks 2-3 months is sufficient, and it probably is if you study hard enough. I still think you should take advantage of the whole 10 months bc you never know how long it'll take you to improve. I liked 7sage a lot, though haven't tried powerscore. You have so much time it really doesn't matter. Do both. Figure out what you like more. 160 is a very decent diagnostic. HTH

ForumCommissar

Postby ForumCommissar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 am

maybeman wrote:Prioritize getting that 3.8. A lot of tls thinks 2-3 months is sufficient, and it probably is if you study hard enough. I still think you should take advantage of the whole 10 months bc you never know how long it'll take you to improve. I liked 7sage a lot, though haven't tried powerscore. You have so much time it really doesn't matter. Do both. Figure out what you like more. 160 is a very decent diagnostic. HTH

Thanks. I'm only taking four courses, and it's all fairly easy for me. That''s be the same thing every semester.

I'll definitely start the free trial of 7sage, get into and see whats going on since I have a good amount of time.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 am

ForumCommissar wrote:I currently have a 3.6 GPA. I plan on graduating with a 3.8, and have calculated that this is within the realm of possibility for me (I have gotten past the hard stuff and can now steadily coast on As). In order to get significant scholarship, I am aiming for at least a 171 on the lsat, because then I can get significant scholarship at a lower T14 or maybe even a better one at a mid-level T14.

Mylsn and LSP also states that Harvard is not out of the question with a 174/175, but I simply find that hard to believe no matter what the numbers tell me. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I just took a diagnostic test and a got a 160. Absolutely bombed Logic Games, did well on one logical reasoning, quite a bit less so in the other (got nervous about time), and did fantastic at reading comprehension.

I'm currently a junior and plan on taking the June LSAT, since I heard the February LSAT has some issues with determining what you did wrong, and the earlier start the process the better retaking will go.

What materials should I start with? Should I buy drilling materials and start with that, or take more tests firsts? Or should I go on to 7sage first, or get the pwergames bible?

Right now I have 10 months, am I starting too early? I planned it this way so the first 4 months can be relaxed studying and ramp it up starting the 6-month mark. However; would I run out of materials by the LSAT date?

Also I am on full undergrad scholarship and make 21k/year so I don't have to worry about finances.

Smart thinking!

Utilize the whole 10 months. Your goal is that 171; not a date. With a 160 diagnostic, you'll be in good shape.

I'd say do the 7Sage curriculum first. Then I would say get The LSAT Trainer and follow the 12-Week study schedule. If you feel you need a bit more help or a different perspective even after 7Sage + Trainer, I'd recommend then checking out Powerscore or Manhattan Prep. big fan of both.

You won't run out of material if you do things the right way. If you got a 160 out of the gate I wouldn't be surprised if you could go through the 7Sage curriculum and come out ready to do PTs and kill it.

So here is what I'd buy as of now:

7Sage course (Ultimate + is the best it has drills, problem sets, video explanation, etc.) You can always start off with the free 2 weeks trial to make sure it's for you though. I love 7Sage, but for some things I prefer books sometimes to endless hours of videos. This will be good for you because with lessons being on video you can watch at your pace for the first few months.

The LSAT Trainer (use free study schedule)

All the prep tests you can get 41-78 are for sale on Amazon for decent prices and the earlier ones can be found but can be expensive.

Good luck man! Congrats on a sick diagnostic. RC is the hardest for a lot of people.

ForumCommissar

Postby ForumCommissar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:05 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:I currently have a 3.6 GPA. I plan on graduating with a 3.8, and have calculated that this is within the realm of possibility for me (I have gotten past the hard stuff and can now steadily coast on As). In order to get significant scholarship, I am aiming for at least a 171 on the lsat, because then I can get significant scholarship at a lower T14 or maybe even a better one at a mid-level T14.

Smart thinking!

Utilize the whole 10 months. Your goal is that 171; not a date. With a 160 diagnostic, you'll be in good shape.

I'd say do the 7Sage curriculum first. Then I would say get The LSAT Trainer and follow the 12-Week study schedule. If you feel you need a bit more help or a different perspective even after 7Sage + Trainer, I'd recommend then checking out Powerscore or Manhattan Prep. big fan of both.

You won't run out of material if you do things the right way. If you got a 160 out of the gate I wouldn't be surprised if you could go through the 7Sage curriculum and come out ready to do PTs and kill it.

7Sage course (Ultimate + is the best it has drills, problem sets, video explanation, etc.) You can always start off with the free 2 weeks trial to make sure it's for you though. I love 7Sage, but for some things I prefer books sometimes to endless hours of videos. This will be good for you because with lessons being on video you can watch at your pace for the first few months.

All the prep tests you can get 41-78 are for sale on Amazon for decent prices and the earlier ones can be found but can be expensive.

Good luck man! Congrats on a sick diagnostic. RC is the hardest for a lot of people.

Thanks for the advice! 7sage is definitely going to be a primary resource; I've heard nothing but good things about it and I definitely learn better from videos than I do from book study. The only thing I'm wary about is the $749 pricetag - I can afford it, I just don't want to spend it if not necessary. The hard questions though are definitely looking valuable.

Thanks again for the advice, it's good I can get so much preparatory info ahead of time.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 am

ForumCommissar wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Smart thinking!

Thanks for the advice! 7sage is definitely going to be a primary resource; I've heard nothing but good things about it and I definitely learn better from videos than I do from book study. The only thing I'm wary about is the $749 pricetag - I can afford it, I just don't want to spend it if not necessary. The hard questions though are definitely looking valuable.

Thanks again for the advice, it's good I can get so much preparatory info ahead of time.

Happy to help!
I had the same concern - let me tell you; it is 100% worth it. Especially for LG/LR.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”