2 weeks away

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
teecup

New

2 weeks away

Postby teecup » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:14 am

I have been studying for the LSAT for a solid two months. I'm at a 142. Although I have increased my accuracy I have sacrificed my speed and am worried about taking the test on 9/24. Does anyone have any insight or advice as to what i should do? I would be the most appreciative.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: 2 weeks away

Postby Mikey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 am

Postpone. What's your target score?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am

teecup wrote:I have been studying for the LSAT for a solid two months. I'm at a 142. Although I have increased my accuracy I have sacrificed my speed and am worried about taking the test on 9/24. Does anyone have any insight or advice as to what i should do? I would be the most appreciative.

Yeah, there is no situation where it's worth taking the test in September.

Congrats, you're self aware enough and hard working enough to postpone and try later. You're making the first step towards a better future. Be proud, and good luck with the rest of your studying!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 am

teecup wrote:I have been studying for the LSAT for a solid two months. I'm at a 142. Although I have increased my accuracy I have sacrificed my speed and am worried about taking the test on 9/24. Does anyone have any insight or advice as to what i should do? I would be the most appreciative.

What's your target score? I think you should postpone taking it because if you're at a 142 now, I think you should switch up your studying methods and prepare for a later exam; I can't see how you couldn't get in the 150s or even 160s if you took another couple of months of PTing and BRing. Plus, you'll feel more confident with a couple of more months of studying under your belt.

Best of luck! You got this

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 am

Two months is certainly not necessary for a high score, but it is not entirely sufficient, either.

Review your conditionals; that will help in the long run for both LG and LR.
Strengthen those strengthen questions, patch up weaknesses, and just study more in general.
It's easier to get in the 160s, but if you're eyeing the 170 zone, you should put in a fair share of work.

teecup

New

Postby teecup » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks everyone! My target is 160. I work full time which leaves me with limited time, but I know my score can improve. I need to re-strategist.

Frustrating. :evil:

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Ah, I feel for you. Working full time and studying for LSAT, which is basically a part time job in and of itself, is tough. Consistency is your best friend - sticking to a schedule that has you doing some prep nearly every day, rather than big chunks on certain days. One option is to take a course or get tutoring, which will set up a lot of scheduling for you. If you want to go the self-study route, there are plenty of resources on here to help you draw out a plan. At the level you're currently scoring, you should focus on learning the material - learning strategies for each question type and section, practicing them by drilling questions. Don't incorporate any time limits into your prep yet, that'll only be counteractive at this point.

Going up 18 points in a few weeks is not going to happen, though. I think you should withdraw from this take (I believe it's too late to postpone), and plan for a later test. I know it's frustrating, but don't give up! You'll be making a much better decision for the long term.

teecup

New

Postby teecup » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:07 pm

What will it take to get to a 160?

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:18 pm

How do you fare in each section?

teecup

New

Postby teecup » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:30 pm

LR: I’m at the point where I’m getting the easiest questions correct. I’m able to make the connections and see how they premises relate to each other by separating them and analyzing the argument. Begin ~question 12-13 is where the difficulty starts to kick in and I am getting a lot of questions incorrect. Not only are they longer but I start to feel pressure due to timing with about 15 minutes remaining. **Assumption questions have pretty tough for me to tackle.

LG: I do very well with sequencing and I’m pretty good with grouping. I don’t have grouping completely mastered. Typically I can get through the first two games and some of the third.

RC: Huge time crunch. I typically only get through two of four passages. I’m not even getting all of the answers right. I have noticed as I get better at some of the LR I notice that cross between LR and RC and understand how to better attack the passage, but I’m still getting hung up on timing and attached to questions I can’t find the answer to. Really struggling against the clock here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?