Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Csta5315

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby Csta5315 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 am

Hello everyone!

I want to ask for some advice. I am not sure if I should sit for this September's LSAT since I have not yet hit my goal score of 170+. I am currently in the low-mid 160's (up from a low 150's diagnostic back in February) and am just finishing up an accelerated course through Manhattan Prep.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is it better to take the test only once? Or should I sit for it in a couple of weeks and retake in December if I don't get above a 170 the first time around? I'm not sure if it makes too much of a difference in your application.

Just a little bit of background, I have a 3.3 GPA, non URM, and want to get into a T-14 so I am leaning HEAVY on my LSAT score.

Thanks !

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby maybeman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:20 am

Wait. Considering your goals, no question

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 am

You can take the test 3x and it's not "better" or "worse" to take it once or three times. Take it until you hit your score and only waste a take when you're ready.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:24 am

maybeman wrote:Wait. Considering your goals, no question



Postpone. You aren't ready. Don't sign up for another take until you are ready.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gsy987

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby gsy987 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:55 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
maybeman wrote:Wait. Considering your goals, no question



Postpone. You aren't ready. Don't sign up for another take until you are ready.


100% agree. Honestly studying for the LSAT isn't very effective when you're rushed anyways. Just postpone and give yourself some more time to really understand the material. Just because the LSAT can be learned doesn't mean it's particularly easy to do so!

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 am

Csta5315 wrote:Hello everyone!

I want to ask for some advice. I am not sure if I should sit for this September's LSAT since I have not yet hit my goal score of 170+. I am currently in the low-mid 160's (up from a low 150's diagnostic back in February) and am just finishing up an accelerated course through Manhattan Prep.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is it better to take the test only once? Or should I sit for it in a couple of weeks and retake in December if I don't get above a 170 the first time around? I'm not sure if it makes too much of a difference in your application.

Just a little bit of background, I have a 3.3 GPA, non URM, and want to get into a T-14 so I am leaning HEAVY on my LSAT score.

Thanks !


Wait and take a later exam when you're ready. As somebody who took the exam 3 times, I can say that it's not worth using up one of your 3 takes to "feel it out." I did that for my first take, and wish I could've saved it for when I was completely ready to maximize my score potential.

User avatar
Shemp

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 am

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby Shemp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:06 am

The date change deadline has already passed, so it's too late to change your registration to a later date. Your $170 is a sunk cost at this point and cannot be recovered. You have only three options: withdraw, take the test, or just not show up on test day. If you don't show up, it counts as one of your three attempts, so absolutely do not do that. If you withdraw, it does not count as an attempt, so you would still have three tries left. All you lose is $170, which is already spent anyway.

However, you should definitely not withdraw yet. You can withdraw without penalty at any time up to midnight EST the night before the test. You should spend the next two and a half weeks studying diligently, and it is possible that you will have a breakthrough and you may be able to achieve or come close to your goal score by test time. It's unlikely, as noted in the other replies to this thread, but not impossible. Since there is no additional penalty for withdrawing at the last minute, you should give yourself every chance to improve before deciding. Good luck!

Csta5315

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Re: Not yet at my target score - registered for Sept

Postby Csta5315 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am

Shemp wrote:The date change deadline has already passed, so it's too late to change your registration to a later date. Your $170 is a sunk cost at this point and cannot be recovered. You have only three options: withdraw, take the test, or just not show up on test day. If you don't show up, it counts as one of your three attempts, so absolutely do not do that. If you withdraw, it does not count as an attempt, so you would still have three tries left. All you lose is $170, which is already spent anyway.

However, you should definitely not withdraw yet. You can withdraw without penalty at any time up to midnight EST the night before the test. You should spend the next two and a half weeks studying diligently, and it is possible that you will have a breakthrough and you may be able to achieve or come close to your goal score by test time. It's unlikely, as noted in the other replies to this thread, but not impossible. Since there is no additional penalty for withdrawing at the last minute, you should give yourself every chance to improve before deciding. Good luck!


Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll PT and review my course material over the next two weeks and a few days before the test I'll make the decision and withdraw if I haven't hit my goal score at least a few times. Thanks for the input !!



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests