Prep Test 21, Game # 4

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
scalawag

Bronze

Prep Test 21, Game # 4

Postby scalawag » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:09 pm

I have a question for this Prep Test 21, game 4. https://7sage.com/lesson/sequencing-gam ... ard-setup/

I read that this comment is the easier way to solve the game and my question is why does the HJ block have to go in the 1 2 position?

I solved this game a bit differently. First, instead of placing the pairs side by side, I stacked them in pairs. Doing so made it easy to distinguish between pairs that go together on each week (vertical block G and J/O) vs which variables needed to be in sequence next to each other on consecutive weeks (horizontal block JH).

I tried splitting this board based on the HJ block, assuming it would give me 3 total game boards, as it looked initially like there would be 3 possible options for the HJ block. In fact, as I moved the HJ block to the second and third positions, moving left to right, I realized that HJ had to stay in the position I thought would be my first game board: H1 J2.

I then went down my rules and saw that G had only two options if it needed to stay with O or J: Week 2, or Week 3. So I split at that point and wound up with 2 basic game boards.

It did take me a while to make the inferences needed to set up the boards (7 minutes, hopefully will be faster once I get more practice in), but once I had them I was able to answer all the questions very quickly.

I started setting it up this way and wrote out 3 game boards, but I never made the inference that HJ has to go in the 1 2 block.

Thanks, if someone answers this they will really save my ass.

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Prep Test 21, Game # 4

Postby Instrumental » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:09 am

Oh I remember that game, it was a tricky one. So for why H and J have to go in the one and two spot, we have to take in to consideration the fact that first and foremost, all of the game pieces are going to be used once and only one game piece is going to be used twice as there are seven pieces and eight slots.

So we already know J can't be in slot one because then H would be off the board.
We know J can't go into slot 3 (with O) because G has to be played with O or J and that would mean repeating O or J. But the rules explicitly state that the item that repeats can't repeat in week three so that's out.
So then we get to week 4. Seems alright at first, you put OH in week three and a J in week four. Well we know that J can't repeat because that would mean we'd have to have H repeat as well and there is only one item repeated. We can't put G with J because that would mean G has to be repeated and in repeating G, you'd also have to repeat J which we just saw can't be done. Or we would have to repeat O, which can't be done because it's in week three and the repeat item can only be in weeks 4 and 1 or in weeks 4 and 2. What about putting another letter with J in week four though? Well, let's say we put L. Well, if L repeats that's fine, but we still need G somewhere. Can't be in week three because OH is already there so that means in week 1 or 2, we'd have to repeat J which isn't possible for the aforementioned reason or repeating O which also isn't possible for the aforementioned reason, so J can't go in week four. All that leaves is week 2.

scalawag

Bronze

Re: Prep Test 21, Game # 4

Postby scalawag » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:48 am

Instrumental wrote:Oh I remember that game, it was a tricky one. So for why H and J have to go in the one and two spot, we have to take in to consideration the fact that first and foremost, all of the game pieces are going to be used once and only one game piece is going to be used twice as there are seven pieces and eight slots.

So we already know J can't be in slot one because then H would be off the board.
We know J can't go into slot 3 (with O) because G has to be played with O or J and that would mean repeating O or J. But the rules explicitly state that the item that repeats can't repeat in week three so that's out.
So then we get to week 4. Seems alright at first, you put OH in week three and a J in week four. Well we know that J can't repeat because that would mean we'd have to have H repeat as well and there is only one item repeated. We can't put G with J because that would mean G has to be repeated and in repeating G, you'd also have to repeat J which we just saw can't be done. Or we would have to repeat O, which can't be done because it's in week three and the repeat item can only be in weeks 4 and 1 or in weeks 4 and 2. What about putting another letter with J in week four though? Well, let's say we put L. Well, if L repeats that's fine, but we still need G somewhere. Can't be in week three because OH is already there so that means in week 1 or 2, we'd have to repeat J which isn't possible for the aforementioned reason or repeating O which also isn't possible for the aforementioned reason, so J can't go in week four. All that leaves is week 2.

Thanks man. These double layered sequencing games are my weakness. Need to drill more of them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�