Take LSAT in September or December?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ssmite

New

Take LSAT in September or December?

Postby ssmite » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I am signed up for the September lsat. I have barely studied, due to the sudden illness and death of a parent. I just took a full practice test and scored a 162. This is the first time I have really be able to focus on studying. My GPA is a 3.8. I am trying to get into the best school I can while also trying to get some scholarship money. Will a December test be way too late for fall 2017 admissions and scholarship opportunities? Am I better off just biting the bullet, accepting my score and taking it now? What would you do?

ebouchard

New

Re: Take LSAT in September or December?

Postby ebouchard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:38 pm

My condolences.

Since you said you barely studied, I think you will be able to get a much higher score if you study more until December. I honestly think that jumping from low 160s to low 170s is very doable with some hard work (whereas going from low 170s to high 170s requires much, much more work). My vote is that you take it in December, IF you think that you'll be able to focus and work hard for the next 3 months.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 pm

I am a big advocate of just studying for the LSAT and not worrying about applying in general, and with your GPA and high diagnostic, I definitely think this should be the case.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Nope not too late to take in December.

Absolutely do not take in 22 days. That's pretty obvious at this point being that you haven't studied, lol.

Great GPA and great diagnostic. Put in a few hours a day 5-6 days a week and set a score goal. Get the idea of a date out of your mind for now and worry about reaching that goal and then sign up and take the LSAT. I never got why people sign up and then give themselves a set amount of time to study rather than just working towards a number. I guess some people can't find motivation with just self-imposed deadlines, but don't rush to take in December either if you haven't met your goal.

Good luck and great start!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 pm

December... At the EARLIEST.

Your current score is good, but it sounds like 170+ is your goal;
not saying you can't reach that within a month, but I think we can agree it's best to play it safe.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:24 am

December isn't too late. Wait and take it then after putting in the work. I'm sorry for your loss.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�