September test takers beware!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

September test takers beware!

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 am

Been a long time since I posted but *cracks neck and flexes out hands to crack knuckles before typing* I figured I'd drop another gem.

Get off this website from here until your September LSAT. Seriously.

"but but James, why would I leave the Holy Grail of LSAT/law school resources?"

Because you don't need to be consumed by the panic, fears, anxiety, paranoia and general over analysis of every minute detail of this exam just weeks before it.

If anything, this is when you should be unplugging and focusing solely on your LSAT.

If you were going out on the weekends, dead it. Favorite TV shows coming on? DVR it for September 25th. Friends wanna hang out or watch a movie? Sorry nope, can't I'm busy. Got a girlfriend? Tell her to pretend like you've been sent off to Afghanistan for a month. Got a boyfriend? Same thing.

This is the final frontier at this point. This isn't time to panic, get discouraged or lose your cookies. This is when you need to block out all distractions and just focus. Uninhibited.

Am I saying you can't have any joy in life? No. Sure you can watch something occasionally ... But YOU know YOU better than anyone else ever could. If you know that taking a 30 minute break is going to turn into a Netflix marathon, then maybe you shouldn't take that break or just spend that time going on a walk. Same with social media or any other time suck. Don't bullshit yourself, be honest about what consumes your time or engrosses you to the point that you can't disconnect and avoid those things like the plague. If you know your boyfriend/girlfriend can't spend 20 minutes with you without consuming your entire day, say "sorry babe I gotta study."

This is your time to be selfish. Ruthlessly selfish about your time. This is your time to tell people you don't have time to hear their frivolous life drama, help them with their minor issues, give rides, or whatever. You're working on something that has the potential to alter the rest of your life.

I know that last line is scary, but don't let it unsettle you. You have a lot of time. Some days will be good. Some days will be long and shitty and you'll crave nothing more than to throw your study materials out the window on the highway and go home and eat Ben & Jerry and binge on Netflix while drinking and calling all your friends, browsing through social media. But you can't. RESIST. It sucks now and even though it's just a month, that's a long time to be unplugged from this world of nonstop updates, trending topics and controversy. But DO IT.

And don't get IN YOUR HEAD about this. Ok, scenario: You've been PTing in the 170s for the last week or so and things are going great. All of a sudden you get a 164 on an exam. Panic ensues. What if I fuck up the exam like that? Were those 170s even real? Did I suddenly forget how to LSAT? Has my brain finally gave way?

No. Be calm. It happens. For those of you who watch sports, I'll use this analogy: Steph Curry is arguably one of the best shooters in NBA history. We've seen this dude make fade away 3 pointers from the baseline with defenders in his face and drain it. He's a 2 time MVP. But all those accolades and skills aside, he STILL HAS BAD GAMES. Every once in a blue moon, he has a game where he goes out and shoots 12% from the field (very very bad for any player if you don't watch NBA). It's natural. It doesn't mean he forgot how to play basketball, or he sucks or that all those good games were just luck. It just means he was off one night. In the same way, you were off on one practice exam. The absolute worst thing you can do is modify your entire study strategy on the basis of one bad exam. That's panicking. Don't start over cramming and burning yourself out to compensate for the bad score in an effort to convince yourself you really are that smart because you'll just frustrate yourself even more. This is not a time to panic. Be calm and let fate take her course. The only thing you can do is try the best you can and let the cards fall where they may. Stop comparing yourself to what people up here say or how much this person or that person studied. All that counts is what you're doing and scoring. Same with law school apps, but that's another topic I won't delve into right now. Just keep studying and focus and you will be ok come September 24th. I promise.

I hope this has encouraged someone and this is giving you a little push to do well next month.

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: September test takers beware!

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:Been a long time since I posted but *cracks neck and flexes out hands to crack knuckles before typing* I figured I'd drop another gem.

Because you don't need to be consumed by the panic, fears, anxiety, paranoia and general over analysis of every minute detail of this exam just weeks before it.

If anything, this is when you should be unplugging and focusing solely on your LSAT.

If you were going out on the weekends, dead it. Favorite TV shows coming on? DVR it for September 25th. Friends wanna hang out or watch a movie? Sorry nope, can't I'm busy. Got a girlfriend? Tell her to pretend like you've been sent off to Afghanistan for a month. Got a boyfriend? Same thing.

This is the final frontier at this point. This isn't time to panic, get discouraged or lose your cookies. This is when you need to block out all distractions and just focus. Uninhibited.

Am I saying you can't have any joy in life? No. Sure you can watch something occasionally ... But YOU know YOU better than anyone else ever could. If you know that taking a 30 minute break is going to turn into a Netflix marathon, then maybe you shouldn't take that break or just spend that time going on a walk. Same with social media or any other time suck. Don't bullshit yourself, be honest about what consumes your time or engrosses you to the point that you can't disconnect and avoid those things like the plague. If you know your boyfriend/girlfriend can't spend 20 minutes with you without consuming your entire day, say "sorry babe I gotta study."

This is your time to be selfish. Ruthlessly selfish about your time. This is your time to tell people you don't have time to hear their frivolous life drama, help them with their minor issues, give rides, or whatever. You're working on something that has the potential to alter the rest of your life.

I know that last line is scary, but don't let it unsettle you. You have a lot of time. Some days will be good. Some days will be long and shitty and you'll crave nothing more than to throw your study materials out the window on the highway and go home and eat Ben & Jerry and binge on Netflix while drinking and calling all your friends, browsing through social media. But you can't. RESIST. It sucks now and even though it's just a month, that's a long time to be unplugged from this world of nonstop updates, trending topics and controversy. But DO IT.

And don't get IN YOUR HEAD about this. Ok, scenario: You've been PTing in the 170s for the last week or so and things are going great. All of a sudden you get a 164 on an exam. Panic ensues. What if I fuck up the exam like that? Were those 170s even real? Did I suddenly forget how to LSAT? Has my brain finally gave way?

No. Be calm. It happens. For those of you who watch sports, I'll use this analogy: Steph Curry is arguably one of the best shooters in NBA history. We've seen this dude make fade away 3 pointers from the baseline with defenders in his face and drain it. He's a 2 time MVP. But all those accolades and skills aside, he STILL HAS BAD GAMES. Every once in a blue moon, he has a game where he goes out and shoots 12% from the field (very very bad for any player if you don't watch NBA). It's natural. It doesn't mean he forgot how to play basketball, or he sucks or that all those good games were just luck. It just means he was off one night. In the same way, you were off on one practice exam. The absolute worst thing you can do is modify your entire study strategy on the basis of one bad exam. That's panicking. Don't start over cramming and burning yourself out to compensate for the bad score in an effort to convince yourself you really are that smart because you'll just frustrate yourself even more. This is not a time to panic. Be calm and let fate take her course. The only thing you can do is try the best you can and let the cards fall where they may. Stop comparing yourself to what people up here say or how much this person or that person studied. All that counts is what you're doing and scoring. Same with law school apps, but that's another topic I won't delve into right now. Just keep studying and focus and you will be ok come September 24th. I promise.

I hope this has encouraged someone and this is giving you a little push to do well next month.

Surely you meant well by this post, and that's great. However, I don't think you're giving very good advice.

I think the month before the LSAT should be about tying up any loose ends with your test taking, and maintaining balance and a clear head when not LSATing. You can't just "focus solely on the LSAT" and not "get IN YOUR HEAD". Don't get me wrong, you can grind intensely for 8 hours a day, but there's absolutely no reason why the LSAT has to become your life. You will burn out, overwhelm yourself, and likely not do as well as you would with a clear healthy mind.

Also, don't try to limit your time with your SO to 20 minute intervals. Jesus.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 am

MyNameIsntJames, you haven't actually taken the LSAT yet, right?

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:MyNameIsntJames, you haven't actually taken the LSAT yet, right?

Not this cycle. This is my second time taking the LSAT though. Scored 161 on the September '14 LSAT.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:MyNameIsntJames, you haven't actually taken the LSAT yet, right?

Not this cycle. This is my second time taking the LSAT though. Scored 161 on the September '14 LSAT.

Ah, my bad.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:42 am

Clemenceau wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:Been a long time since I posted but *cracks neck and flexes out hands to crack knuckles before typing* I figured I'd drop another gem.

Surely you meant well by this post, and that's great. However, I don't think you're giving very good advice.

I think the month before the LSAT should be about tying up any loose ends with your test taking, and maintaining balance and a clear head when not LSATing. You can't just "focus solely on the LSAT" and not "get IN YOUR HEAD". Don't get me wrong, you can grind intensely for 8 hours a day, but there's absolutely no reason why the LSAT has to become your life. You will burn out, overwhelm yourself, and likely not do as well as you would with a clear healthy mind.

Also, don't try to limit your time with your SO to 20 minute intervals. Jesus.

I agree you don't have to be a robot but this is the final stretch. If your SO can't give you just a month to really put your nose to the grindstone then that says a lot about them lol. I'm not saying do this all the way through, just the final month!

And I definitely don't think someone should 8 hour/day this stuff. Have room for leisure, but that leisure shouldn't be something that needlessly eats hours and hours of your time and attention. Time is the most valuable commodity you have when it comes to the last 4 weeks of the LSAT. If you're going to bullshit for 4 hours, you might as well make it worth your while and go to an amusement park or go do something out of the ordinary.

That's all I'm saying.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Ah, my bad.

All good! I mean I hope I'm not coming off like I think I'm some guru of this exam lol. I just made this post because I think a lot of people have this mentality that by the time they're within 3 weeks of the exam they've gotten as good as they're ever gonna get at the LSAT and I think that couldn't be further from the truth.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:55 am

I actually think this is great advice. Love the Steph Curry reference :)

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 am

Wholeheartedly disagree with most of this, but you do you!

New_Spice180

Bronze

Postby New_Spice180 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 pm

This is a great post, except for the fact that I found myself woefully depressed when I did do some sort of socializing activity every week (ex: going out with friends on a Saturday) . Cutting off all social and entertainment lifelines is acceptable to an extent. Additionally, I've found that balance can really help you deal with the stress of the LSAT. My point being that those 164 mess ups after weeks of hitting 170+ will seem more trivial than when you've been putting all your gas into the LSAT, making it appear as though life depends on the LSAT. This sort of thinking put me at my nerves end when I took the February 2016 administration resulting in me scoring horrendously below average. So, please I advise you all, I know a lot of you are aiming for the glorious top 15, but that does not mean place yourself in an insane asylum in the process!

Balance is key!

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Clearly wrote:Wholeheartedly disagree with most of this, but you do you!

x2. My score has been going up the more I relax my prep. Depends on where you're at.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:03 pm

MYnameisntjames back at it again with the crazy posts, lol.

I love you, James! I get what you're saying, but the LSAT like anything else is going to be different for everyone. The problem with LSAT advice and most advice on this forum, in general, is how dogmatic it is. There isn't always one answer for everyone when it comes to this stuff. But I think the general advice put forth is inspiring, to say the least!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:MYnameisntjames back at it again with the crazy posts, lol.

I love you, James! I get what you're saying, but the LSAT like anything else is going to be different for everyone. The problem with LSAT advice and most advice on this forum, in general, is how dogmatic it is. There isn't always one answer for everyone when it comes to this stuff. But I think the general advice put forth is inspiring, to say the least!

Haha my man. I appreciate that! You ready for this month coming up? Only the rest of our futures riding on this exam. #NoPressure

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:MYnameisntjames back at it again with the crazy posts, lol.

Haha my man. I appreciate that! You ready for this month coming up? Only the rest of our futures riding on this exam. #NoPressure

:) No prob buddy! I miss your inspiring posts when you don't come on for a while, lol.

I'm actually not taking this year. I've decided to wait until I'm scoring in the 170s without a problem. I'm hoping by next June, but I'll prep as long as it takes. I've decided I am going to be HYS or bust so I really want a 175+ to lock it down.

What about you? I know you're gunna kill it!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:17 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

:) No prob buddy! I miss your inspiring posts when you don't come on for a while, lol.

I'm actually not taking this year. I've decided to wait until I'm scoring in the 170s without a problem. I'm hoping by next June, but I'll prep as long as it takes. I've decided I am going to be HYS or bust so I really want a 175+ to lock it down.

What about you? I know you're gunna kill it!

Scoring in the low 150s at the moment so in looking at Cooley rn as my #1. Let's goooooo !

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�