Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby LawTweet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Folks on 7Sage are saying that, as of the September 24 test date, all individuals with an extended time accommodation will be required to take the experimental section of the LSAT. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, that would be pretty frustrating because all of my studying has been built around the assumption that I would only have 4 sections...

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Wouldn't the experimental section defeat the purpose of the whole extra time thing? I don't think those on the 7sage forums are giving true information. Just went to LSAC's site and couldn't find anything so far about this. Call up LSAC and ask them yourself to be sure.

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby LawTweet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:44 pm

Sent them an email but they have two weeks to respond. Also nervous looking at my accommodation letter and I see there's NOTHING stated about not taking the unscored section.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:47 pm

It's good that you emailed them about it, but I think you should call them instead. If it's something that is true, you (and everyone else in the situation) should know ASAP so that you can be aware and start adjusting.

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:20 pm

The letters are different this time around, and they make no mention of a 4-section booklet, s that may be correct. It would make for one LONG test though - let me know what you find out.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 pm

LawTweet wrote:Folks on 7Sage are saying that, as of the September 24 test date, all individuals with an extended time accommodation will be required to take the experimental section of the LSAT. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, that would be pretty frustrating because all of my studying has been built around the assumption that I would only have 4 sections...


Only one person said this, not "folks"

I know it seems stupid to point out, but I don't want people thinking there are multiple people giving false information. Or perhaps unconfirmed.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby LawTweet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:38 am

Fair enough, but I've got a bad feeling about it given the language of the accommodation letter.

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby LawTweet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 am

TheMikey wrote:It's good that you emailed them about it, but I think you should call them instead. If it's something that is true, you (and everyone else in the situation) should know ASAP so that you can be aware and start adjusting.


Called. They said they can't give me the information over the phone and I have to wait for an email response. Awesome...

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby Mikey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 am

LawTweet wrote:
TheMikey wrote:It's good that you emailed them about it, but I think you should call them instead. If it's something that is true, you (and everyone else in the situation) should know ASAP so that you can be aware and start adjusting.


Called. They said they can't give me the information over the phone and I have to wait for an email response. Awesome...

Hmm.. I figured they'd tell you since it's a simple yes or no. Wow lol

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby LawTweet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:23 am

Guess I'll start taking 6 hour practice tests with one 15 minute break!

pandaempire212

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby pandaempire212 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:48 pm

I called them as well and they were being super cryptic and said they couldn't reveal any info over the phone... Which is odd cuz i'm 99% sure I've called them before and they straight up told me that accommodated test takers don't take the experimental section. Also, their confirmation email has a change that reads "all sections" .. it never said that before; prior to this confirmation e-mail they listed each section of the test.

Fuck. :|

If it is true, they need to get ready for another war from the ADA... I would love to lead the charge.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Presumably if this change has happened, it's because they want to include people with accommodations so they can get an accurate read on the experimental section? When almost no one was getting accommodations it didn't matter. But now that they have to give accommodations and the accommodated scores aren't separated out presumably they want to be able to evaluate the experimental section across all test-takers.

Plus if you don't take the experimental section then it's obvious from your score sheet that you got accommodations, which defeats the purpose of not marking scores as accommodated. (Thinking about it, the latter makes more sense.)

(I don't know anything at all about whether they are changing their policy, to be clear.)

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:34 pm

pandaempire212 wrote:If it is true, they need to get ready for another war from the ADA... I would love to lead the charge.

Maybe that can be my summer internship in the future :D .

I read the 7Sage discussion and the OP would not provide any evidence, but incited some anxiety, so Dillion locked it for now.

I noticed the change in the letter, and the removal of mentioning a "4 test booklet," but it is what it is. I really do not see it as a big deal - I've done some 5 section PTs in the past. Just get in the marathon mindset, rather than a sprint, if you have extra time and you'll be fine. Don't sweat it, b/c it's not something that you can change by September.

pandaempire212

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby pandaempire212 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Presumably if this change has happened, it's because they want to include people with accommodations so they can get an accurate read on the experimental section? When almost no one was getting accommodations it didn't matter. But now that they have to give accommodations and the accommodated scores aren't separated out presumably they want to be able to evaluate the experimental section across all test-takers.

Plus if you don't take the experimental section then it's obvious from your score sheet that you got accommodations, which defeats the purpose of not marking scores as accommodated. (Thinking about it, the latter makes more sense.)

(I don't know anything at all about whether they are changing their policy, to be clear.)


How would law schools see an "experimental sheet?" They don't factor or see your experimental score to my knowledge. But you do bring up a valid point with accommodated scores no longer being separated out. However, if they do that, they better give accommodated test takers a percentile score as well now.

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 pm

pandaempire212 wrote: they better give accommodated test takers a percentile score as well now.

Umm... they do...

pandaempire212

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby pandaempire212 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Really? I was pretty sure that prior to the consent decree law schools didn't see accommodated test takers' respective percentiles

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 pm

pandaempire212 wrote:Really? I was pretty sure that prior to the consent decree law schools didn't see accommodated test takers' respective percentiles

But the whole point is that schools aren't supposed to know that the test is accommodated, right? So not having percentiles would defeat the purpose. (Re scores - I assumed schools had access to someone's answer sheet.)

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:10 pm

pandaempire212 wrote:Really? I was pretty sure that prior to the consent decree law schools didn't see accommodated test takers' respective percentiles

Yes, I know for a fact that accom test takers receive their percentile rank for the respective LSAT.

29qwerty29

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby 29qwerty29 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:36 am

does accommodated mean that you get more than 35 min's per section?? is this disclosed to the schools?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:27 am

Yes, if more time is the accommodation you need due to your documented disability (as opposed to taking it in a room by yourself but with no extra time or taking it in Braille or so on). No, it's not disclosed to schools.

If you don't have a documented disability with a history of previous accommodations, especially (IIRC) on previous standardized tests, you are very unlikely to be granted accommodations.

pandaempire212

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby pandaempire212 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm

.
Last edited by pandaempire212 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:34 pm

pandaempire212 wrote:It's official. LSAC is that evil to the point where they wouldn't even give a warning. If you're an accommodated test-taker, you've just been screwed. And it's too late to request a revision in accommodations. They really went out of their way to screw everyone over this time... impressive, even for their standard shady practices.


Beginning with the September 2016 test, all administrations of the test include five sections and a writing sample. Please see a description of the test at http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat and http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... f-need.pdf. Your accommodations for the June and September test are identical. The only thing that has changed is the format of the test. "Email recipient" were not previously granted a waiver of the non-scored section as an accommodation nor are you entitled to one now.

Accommodated Testing
Visit our website http://www.lsac.org for detailed information about LSAC’s Accommodated Policies and Forms. All documentation and inquiries should include your name and LSAC account number. Please provide the last 4 digits of your social security/social insurance number, if you do not have an LSAC account number.

We advise candidates to submit documentation well in advance of the published registration deadlines. The receipt deadline for all information regarding a request for accommodations is the deadline associated with a candidate's registration for an administration of the LSAT. If you wait to request testing accommodations until the late registration deadline, it may affect your ability to appeal any denial of accommodations in time for that test date.

If your request is not approved in full, a decision letter will be posted to your online account that explains the rationale for LSAC’s decision. You will have 24 hours after this letter is posted to your online account to notify LSAC that you intend to appeal. You will have four calendar days after the letter is posted to your online account to submit an appeal to LSAC. The result of the appeal will be provided within one week of the submission of the appeal.

Candidates should visit their LSAC online account for the current status of his/her request for accommodations; it is available under Account Status

It's not some crazy thing made to screw ya... it's really not a big deal, a non-factor. Be grateful that you discovered this with still a month till the test... it's much better than showing up for the exam and finding out that way, when you have been practicing for a 4 section test. It is what it is, I wouldn't worry about it or let it stress ya.

pandaempire212

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby pandaempire212 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Dude, do you work for the LSAC? "It is what it is?!" I dont know about you, but I'm trying to score a 170+. Adding another section is mentally draining, and for my disability a damn near death wish. This isnt to be taken lightly, and trust me there is gonna be a hugggee uproar. There is no excuse for not making an official announcement. People have spent months, some years, prepping for a FOUR section test. You cant just spring this on to everyone without any warning what so ever. The status quo changed, it was never the case that accommodated takers had to take the experimental... An official notice is warranted at the very least. They'll get whats coming to them...

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby bmathers » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Ok, stress yourself out about it - whether you stress or not, the outcome will be identical for September.

User avatar
scalawag

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Postby scalawag » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:00 pm

pandaempire212 wrote:Dude, do you work for the LSAC? "It is what it is?!" I dont know about you, but I'm trying to score a 170+. Adding another section is mentally draining, and for my disability a damn near death wish. This isnt to be taken lightly, and trust me there is gonna be a hugggee uproar. There is no excuse for not making an official announcement. People have spent months, some years, prepping for a FOUR section test. You cant just spring this on to everyone without any warning what so ever. The status quo changed, it was never the case that accommodated takers had to take the experimental... An official notice is warranted at the very least. They'll get whats coming to them...


Dude, you've got a month. Start taking 5 section practice tests.

Shit like this or worse will just happen when you're a lawyer and you'll just have to man up and get it done. This is not an unreasonable demand but you picked the right profession for those.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests