What is the best way to take advantage of a tutor?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
29qwerty29

New

What is the best way to take advantage of a tutor?

Postby 29qwerty29 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:08 am

So, how do you guys best utilize time with a tutor? I am scoring low 160s and have the "basics" down but am looking to get to a 170. I will generally pick a topic to go over, i.e. in/out games; I will do the game in the session, we will go over answers, he will make any corrections etc. I will also discuss questions from previous PTs that I had trouble with.

Any other suggestions?

Mikey

Platinum

Re: What is the best way to take advantage of a tutor?

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:11 am

Continue to do PT on your own, and whatever questions you're getting wrong the most, have them help you largely with those. If you're familiar and ultimately a genius at a certain question type/game, then don't waste tutoring time with those.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:11 am

well, you have her alone that is the #1 step in taking advantage of her. candles r key too

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am

LeDique wrote:well, you have her alone that is the #1 step in taking advantage of her. candles r key too

The tutor is a dude, though... But I suppose it can still apply.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm

29qwerty29 wrote:So, how do you guys best utilize time with a tutor? I am scoring low 160s and have the "basics" down but am looking to get to a 170. I will generally pick a topic to go over, i.e. in/out games; I will do the game in the session, we will go over answers, he will make any corrections etc. I will also discuss questions from previous PTs that I had trouble with.

Any other suggestions?

Ask to focus on your weak areas. If a student says to me that they need help with Flaw questions, I'll start the lesson with a quick overview and a review of the strategy for those questions. We'll work through a couple of examples together, with me explaining my thought process at each step of the way. Then I'd start to let them attempt the questions on their own, after which I'd ask them to explain what they did. I'd make any corrections if necessary and give further advice. Afterwards, I'd assign a bunch of problems for them to drill as homework, and we'd review any tricky ones during our next session.

Tutors can also be great for more general advice, like being mentally ready for test day, advice on a routine, etc.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�