Mid-170s 5 weeks before September LSAT, what to do now? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barrett45

New

Mid-170s 5 weeks before September LSAT, what to do now?

Post by Barrett45 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:27 pm

I realize again that my second post here is just about as ridiculous/unimportant as my first, but I would really appreciate some advice from those who have done this before. I started about 10 weeks ago with a diagnostic at 161; three tests later I had advanced about 10 points to 170. In the last three weeks, I've taken four tests (175, 172, 174, 175). I've mostly been missing on LR and RC, with some exhaustion coming in when I have to do RC at the end of a test. I've been simulating testing conditions, with a fifth experimental section taken from older tests.

The September test is about five weeks away and I am not quite sure how to go about these next few weeks. I'm pretty happy about getting mid-170s, and I can't motivate myself by trying for perfection because it just doesn't mean enough for me in LS admissions. I don't want to just take tests to take them, and I don't have a good mission statement to drive my practice these next three weeks (obviously I'll prepare somewhat hard the last two weeks). I'm thinking about just taking a break from my studying; reviewing my mistakes and just not thinking about the test til September.

Thoughts?

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Mid-170s 5 weeks before September LSAT, what to do now?

Post by Instrumental » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:52 pm

If I were you, I'd continue taking tests regularly to keep your skills consistent. Who knows what you could lose in terms of ability by dropping off for a month. At the very least I'd take a few practice tests the week of the actual.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Just come up with some sort of maintenance plan. Personally, I would do some light drilling from each test section 2 - 3 times a week, and then take a full practice test once a week. That shouldn't be too exhausting, and will keep you sharp. I would do that for the first three weeks and then in the final two weeks I would ramp it up a bit more. If you notice any drop-off go back to your original schedule.

As an aside, I scored 173, and took a few days off before the actual test to recharge. That might also be helpful for you.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Barrett45 wrote:I realize again that my second post here is just about as ridiculous/unimportant as my first, but I would really appreciate some advice from those who have done this before. I started about 10 weeks ago with a diagnostic at 161; three tests later I had advanced about 10 points to 170. In the last three weeks, I've taken four tests (175, 172, 174, 175). I've mostly been missing on LR and RC, with some exhaustion coming in when I have to do RC at the end of a test. I've been simulating testing conditions, with a fifth experimental section taken from older tests.

The September test is about five weeks away and I am not quite sure how to go about these next few weeks. I'm pretty happy about getting mid-170s, and I can't motivate myself by trying for perfection because it just doesn't mean enough for me in LS admissions. I don't want to just take tests to take them, and I don't have a good mission statement to drive my practice these next three weeks (obviously I'll prepare somewhat hard the last two weeks). I'm thinking about just taking a break from my studying; reviewing my mistakes and just not thinking about the test til September.

Thoughts?
it depends on what tests you're taking and what your section-wise scores? your last couple scores are at your target but you may want to account for test day drop and consistency over a range of pts.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Barrett45 wrote:I realize again that my second post here is just about as ridiculous/unimportant as my first, but I would really appreciate some advice from those who have done this before. I started about 10 weeks ago with a diagnostic at 161; three tests later I had advanced about 10 points to 170. In the last three weeks, I've taken four tests (175, 172, 174, 175). I've mostly been missing on LR and RC, with some exhaustion coming in when I have to do RC at the end of a test. I've been simulating testing conditions, with a fifth experimental section taken from older tests.

Thoughts?

Damnnnn diag at 161. Must be nice to be a fucking genius...

I guess my advice would be don't suffer any traumatic brain injuries in the next 5 weeks...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Thoughts?

Serious answer though, might as well shoot for the 180. Why not? You already started high and then made an exponential leap from there so it stands to reason that you're probably not even at your peak yet. Might as well lock up HYP.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Don't change how you have been training.

Keep at it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Barrett45 wrote:The September test is about five weeks away and I am not quite sure how to go about these next few weeks. I'm pretty happy about getting mid-170s, and I can't motivate myself by trying for perfection because it just doesn't mean enough for me in LS admissions.
You don't try for perfection because you need a 180; you try for perfection because it gives you some margin for error: if you're generally perfect or close to perfect, you can screw up a RC passage or a LG and still get in the low-to-mid 170s.

Look through old "LSAT score day" threads. They're full of these posts like this: "I don't know what happened. I was consistently PT'ing at 173-176 but I got a 167."

If I were you, and if I cared about ensuring that I scored at least a 170 on test day, I would keep trying to improve.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Barrett45 wrote:The September test is about five weeks away and I am not quite sure how to go about these next few weeks. I'm pretty happy about getting mid-170s, and I can't motivate myself by trying for perfection because it just doesn't mean enough for me in LS admissions.
You don't try for perfection because you need a 180; you try for perfection because it gives you some margin for error: if you're generally perfect or close to perfect, you can screw up a RC passage or a LG and still get in the low-to-mid 170s.

Look through old "LSAT score day" threads. They're full of these posts like this: "I don't know what happened. I was consistently PT'ing at 173-176 but I got a 167."

If I were you, and if I cared about ensuring that I scored at least a 170 on test day, I would keep trying to improve.
Agreed. Never mind scoring below your personal best. My best in practice was a 179. I got a 174 on game day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”