LSAT Motivation and Focus... How do you keep it strong?!?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cm4998

New

LSAT Motivation and Focus... How do you keep it strong?!?

Postby cm4998 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently about 2 and half months into my prep and I've noticed a pretty good improvement. However, it seems as if mentally I'm beginning to lose energy, or as if I'm growing lazier. I show up every day to study at similar times, and I usually aim for a 4-hour minimum. In the beginning, going 4 hours was no problem. I would take a few breaks in between and I could make it to the end with ease, feeling accomplished. Now, however, my focus is beginning to dwindle, and I can't seem to stick it out for all the four hours. I still try to nonetheless, but it's become a lot tougher.

I think, alongside my mental state, my prep itself isn't as focused and I feel that I'm lacking specific goals which in turn leave me doing unfocused practice and not deliberate practice. This could also be affecting my motivation. A few other reasons I believe this is happening: I have not been eating as well (probably not drinking enough water), and my sleep patterns are a bit off. Maybe I'm burning out?

In terms of motivation and burn out, what are some methods you guys have used to stick it out to the very end of your LSAT prep? For those of you have done exceptionally well, which requires serious, rigorous and fully dedicated practice (not talking about those naturally brilliant test takers), how did you guys manage to maintain the necessary focus and motivation needed to do so? Also, aside from testing strategies, what kind of physical habits did you guys adopt when prepping for your tests? (Sleep, eating, resting, amount of study hours weekly, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and best of luck!!

P.S - I'm not one to take smart drugs, Adderall, Ritalin, or any similar drug for that matter. Never been one to use stimulants (I don't even drink caffeine). I know some people swear by it, but I'm not interested in anything that alters chemicals in the brian.

RamTitan

Silver

Re: LSAT Motivation and Focus... How do you keep it strong?!?

Postby RamTitan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:55 pm

It may be time for you to take a break. Taking a week off every few months can actually help your score increase. Let the principles sink in and what not.

I always try to get at least 8 hours of sleep and lift 6 days a week, as well as go on a long walk every single day (apparently walking is good for the brain and helps facilitate thinking).

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Classic symptoms of burn out straight out of the book. Take a week or so off. Do NOTHING LSAT related and I bet you'll feel better.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasellewoods

Bronze

Postby texasellewoods » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Chiming in to support the other posters - you really need some time off! Sleep, protein, water, and regular exercise will do you wonders. You really don't want to get stuck in a negative spiral where you are stressed so you perform worse, which makes you stressed, which makes you perform worse, etc.
I followed a more relaxed schedule and still felt very prepared for my retake in September. Study every other day, or study for less time per day. At this rate you will likely run out of motivation (and maybe prep materials) by test time. I would make a study schedule that includes rest days and exercise and try to stick to that. Taking care of your body and your mind is critical!!

Best of luck to you!!

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:27 pm

texasellewoods wrote:Chiming in to support the other posters - you really need some time off! Sleep, protein, water, and regular exercise will do you wonders. You really don't want to get stuck in a negative spiral where you are stressed so you perform worse, which makes you stressed, which makes you perform worse, etc.
I followed a more relaxed schedule and still felt very prepared for my retake in September. Study every other day, or study for less time per day. At this rate you will likely run out of motivation (and maybe prep materials) by test time. I would make a study schedule that includes rest days and exercise and try to stick to that. Taking care of your body and your mind is critical!!

Best of luck to you!!

Thank you everyone for the responses! TLS is such a great tool for this kind of stuff. Yea exercise seems like an important factor to add back in. I've actually cut it out completely these past few weeks to make time for more prep. Perhaps not the greatest idea. I'll have to add that back in.

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:28 pm

RamTitan wrote:It may be time for you to take a break. Taking a week off every few months can actually help your score increase. Let the principles sink in and what not.

I always try to get at least 8 hours of sleep and lift 6 days a week, as well as go on a long walk every single day (apparently walking is good for the brain and helps facilitate thinking).

I've heard wonders from multiple people about walking daily. I'll have to try it. I also have to get back into my lifting routine as well. Making gains on the LSAT and the gym lol

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Running is incredible. When I was running 7 miles a day I was drilling 6-8 hours a day and I wasn't burned out.

If you can do 4 miles without stopping and you are consistent there will be a change in your psyiological makeup.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Motivation? How about this: your score will have a high correlation with how much money you will make upon graduation

and the difference could be on the order of $100,000 ANNUAL

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:42 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:27 pm

Voyager wrote:Motivation? How about this: your score will have a high correlation with how much money you will make upon graduation

Holy Shit! It's the legendary Voyager! Thank you so much for the RC guide, has been really helpful! And yes you're right, $100,000K extra sounds like a great reason to keep hitting the books hard.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:23 pm

cm4998 wrote:
Voyager wrote:Motivation? How about this: your score will have a high correlation with how much money you will make upon graduation

Holy Shit! It's the legendary Voyager! Thank you so much for the RC guide, has been really helpful! And yes you're right, $100,000K extra sounds like a great reason to keep hitting the books hard.

Where is this thread? I'm going to have to give it a read....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�