LSAT Prep

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsatisfunbro1996

New

LSAT Prep

Postby lsatisfunbro1996 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Hello,

I am an aspiring law school student and was wondering the best way to start prepping for the LSAT. I have bought the PS bibles (LR and LG) and am going through the LG section and seem to be having difficulties making the necessary assumptions and implying the not laws. Is this normal and how could I fix it? I have trouble learning from the PS LG section. My diagnostic was -7 LR, -7 LR, -9 RC, and -15 LG. I was wondering if that is a good diagnostic? I have hopes to go to a t7 school and I currently have a 3.9+ gpa from a top 100 public state school majoring in accounting. Any help is appreciated!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: LSAT Prep

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:04 pm

lsatisfunbro1996 wrote:Hello,

I am an aspiring law school student and was wondering the best way to start prepping for the LSAT. I have bought the PS bibles (LR and LG) and am going through the LG section and seem to be having difficulties making the necessary assumptions and implying the not laws. Is this normal and how could I fix it? I have trouble learning from the PS LG section. My diagnostic was -7 LR, -7 LR, -9 RC, and -15 LG. I was wondering if that is a good diagnostic? I have hopes to go to a t7 school and I currently have a 3.9+ gpa from a top 100 public state school majoring in accounting. Any help is appreciated!

Your username is a riot. I think you can find the answers to all of your broader questions, plus a lot of other useful insights, if you peruse some of the stickied topics on this board, and some of the articles here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/admissions.html

Which year of college are you in? Your GPA is really high, and your alma mater and major don't matter very much - they're miniscule compared to the importance of GPA and LSAT score. Your diagnostic is solid. I lost around that many points on my first LG section as well - it's very tough when you have no game plan, but it's the most learnable section. Focus on mastering diagramming - learn all your rules, and practice making setups and deductions.

lsatisfunbro1996

New

Postby lsatisfunbro1996 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Your username is a riot. I think you can find the answers to all of your broader questions, plus a lot of other useful insights, if you peruse some of the stickied topics on this board, and some of the articles here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/admissions.html

Which year of college are you in? Your GPA is really high, and your alma mater and major don't matter very much - they're miniscule compared to the importance of GPA and LSAT score. Your diagnostic is solid. I lost around that many points on my first LG section as well - it's very tough when you have no game plan, but it's the most learnable section. Focus on mastering diagramming - learn all your rules, and practice making setups and deductions.

I am a junior. I go to a top 100 state school and was also just wondering if a W will count in my LSDAS GPA despite the fact that i retook the class. It is tough learning those inferences from the bible. I find myself watching 7sage and it makes a lot more sense than trying to find every not law possible like the bible tries to do.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:16 pm

lsatisfunbro1996 wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I am a junior. I go to a top 100 state school and was also just wondering if a W will count in my LSDAS GPA despite the fact that i retook the class. It is tough learning those inferences from the bible. I find myself watching 7sage and it makes a lot more sense than trying to find every not law possible like the bible tries to do.

Think about getting a 7Sage course if you like the free videos. I started missing -20 on LG and now I miss 2-3 per section after 1.5 months of 7Sage. There is a free 2 week trial, so there is nothing to lose :)

I think the bible is alright, but they are partly a relic of a bygone era. Recently they have been changing their methods to match 7Sage a bit more so it seems.

And yeah, I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal. But make sure you find something that fixes it, because you don't want to develop bad habits.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Also, I think you should check out The LSAT Trainer if you haven't already. I think it is the best LSAT book out there. However, I think 7Sage is objectively better for LG. I found the LG in The Trainer good, but not when you are just starting out. It is a bit of a high level approach in some regards. Still though, it is worth getting if you already haven't.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 am

I personally didn't pay for the 7sage course but it might be worth it. I find the free videos extremely helpful and the course is relatively cheap compared to others. Don't be afraid to just do what works best for you! I've adopted the method that works best for me by taking parts from the bibles and parts from 7sage. There are certain methods that just more naturally led me to the correct inferences and I used those without trying too hard to ascribe 100% to any paticular method. I went from an average of -10 in LG to almost always going -1/2 now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�