Best way and time to review practice tests? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OtisRedding24

New

Best way and time to review practice tests?

Post by OtisRedding24 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:06 pm

When do you all review the practice tests you completed? When I was studying for the test the first time I would review right after taking the test, because I thought it would be helpful for it to be fresh in my mind, but I think I was often fatigued and didn't give the review the attention I should have.

This time around I'm thinking about reviewing the following day. Any thoughts? Is there a commonly accepted "best way" to do this?

Thanks

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Best way and time to review practice tests?

Post by Instrumental » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:30 pm

I review shortly after I finish the test. Sometimes immediately after if I'm feeling up to it, sometimes after taking a bit of a break so that I can get in the right mood and mindset for review. I don't care to wait a day mainly because I'm eager to know what I did wrong and how I can improve, also because I feel that the more time I have to review the questions, the better I can do to learn. I doubt there's a single best way to do it, just find what method helps you best retain what you've learned from your mistakes.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:56 pm

OtisRedding24 wrote:When do you all review the practice tests you completed? When I was studying for the test the first time I would review right after taking the test, because I thought it would be helpful for it to be fresh in my mind, but I think I was often fatigued and didn't give the review the attention I should have.

This time around I'm thinking about reviewing the following day. Any thoughts? Is there a commonly accepted "best way" to do this?

Thanks
I think it's largely up to preference, but I'd recommend either later in the same day, after you've spent a few hours doing something other than LSAT, or the next day. It's really important to be careful and methodical when reviewing your preptests - take the time to go over each question you got wrong or found challenging, and make sure you know why each wrong answer for that one doesn't work, not just the one that you picked. I think it's smart to tally up the question types that you got wrong on LR, as well, so that you can track any potential weaknesses.

I would generally do them the next day, because my mind would be fresh, and I could take my time reviewing without feeling rushed or fatigued. In the last month and a half of my prep, I was taking PTs almost every other day and then reviewing on the off days. After reviewing, I might do a section or two, or drill an area where I wanted to improve. Reviewing was a really good way to start a prep session, IMO.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Mithun seems like a pretty sharp dude. Agree again.

I'd add one other thought: I also liked retaking the questions I got wrong without the answers in front of me (after grading myself)

Merely practicing the approach I read in the solutions earlier helped me learn those approaches.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”