Getting Past Plateaus

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SunDevil14

Bronze

Getting Past Plateaus

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Is it worth getting a tutor if you're cant get past a plateau?

I am not sure a tutor is worth the money once you are scoring in the high 160's. Perhaps if after a few sessions I could crack into the 170's I would much more likely consider making the investment. Although, is that even a reasonable assumption. Last thing I want to do is sink a lot of money into a tutor and not be much better off after several sessions. I am of the mindset that the benefit one receives from a tutor gets marginally less and less and the higher you score, tough I admit I may be wrong.

34iplaw

Gold

Re: Getting Past Plateaus

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:46 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Is it worth getting a tutor if you're cant get past a plateau?

I am not sure a tutor is worth the money once you are scoring in the high 160's. Perhaps if after a few sessions I could crack into the 170's I would much more likely consider making the investment. Although, is that even a reasonable assumption. Last thing I want to do is sink a lot of money into a tutor and not be much better off after several sessions. I am of the mindset that the benefit one receives from a tutor gets marginally less and less and the higher you score, tough I admit I may be wrong.

Depends. A good tutor can probably better identify bad habits or mistakes that preclude you from scoring a 170. That said, that sort of depends on relying on others' feedback.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 pm

Haven't used a tutor, but I've heard the opposite, actually. The higher your score gets, the more precisely you have to pinpoint where you have to improve/switch strategies up. A tutor may be able to help with that. Obviously, they vary in terms of skill, teaching ability, etc. It's so expensive (though cheap relative to a few points gained on the test) that it may not be worth it if you could just use 7Sage analytics to determine your weaknesses (or do it manually).

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:48 pm

opposite of OP's thought, not above poast

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:56 pm

maybeman wrote:Haven't used a tutor, but I've heard the opposite, actually. The higher your score gets, the more precisely you have to pinpoint where you have to improve/switch strategies up. A tutor may be able to help with that. Obviously, they vary in terms of skill, teaching ability, etc. It's so expensive (though cheap relative to a few points gained on the test) that it may not be worth it if you could just use 7Sage analytics to determine your weaknesses (or do it manually).

Agreed ^ Identify your problem areas, drill like crazy, understand the reasoning behind the questions you get wrong or don't understand, and you WILL get better.
I have no experience with tutors so I can't say they'd be unhelpful, but they're certainly not necessary.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Alexandros wrote:
maybeman wrote:Haven't used a tutor, but I've heard the opposite, actually. The higher your score gets, the more precisely you have to pinpoint where you have to improve/switch strategies up. A tutor may be able to help with that. Obviously, they vary in terms of skill, teaching ability, etc. It's so expensive (though cheap relative to a few points gained on the test) that it may not be worth it if you could just use 7Sage analytics to determine your weaknesses (or do it manually).

Agreed ^ Identify your problem areas, drill like crazy, understand the reasoning behind the questions you get wrong or don't understand, and you WILL get better.
I have no experience with tutors so I can't say they'd be unhelpful, but they're certainly not necessary.

nor are they sufficient!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 pm

That is an interesting point. Perhaps with fewer areas of deficiencies, the more precise and thorough a tutor can be. I use 7 Sage analytics, now that I have enter 10+ PT's into the system I feel like a have a solid grasp of where I struggle. Recently, as in the past several days, I have been doing much more question typing and LG drilling rather than PT followed by review.

I get 167's and 168's fairly often, though have the occasional slip up or off day (Average 166). Hypothetically, once I get into the low 170's on my own is it worth getting a tutor? A 3.83 GPA and 171 gives me a good chances of getting every I want to go. Presuming a tutor could lead you to get a 173 or 174 I'd say it would be worth the investment, though I do not believe it is that black and white.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:

That is an interesting point. Perhaps with fewer areas of deficiencies, the more precise and thorough a tutor can be. I use 7 Sage analytics, now that I have enter 10+ PT's into the system I feel like a have a solid grasp of where I struggle. Recently, as in the past several days, I have been doing much more question typing and LG drilling rather than PT followed by review.

I get 167's and 168's fairly often, though have the occasional slip up or off day (Average 166). Hypothetically, once I get into the low 170's on my own is it worth getting a tutor? A 3.83 GPA and 171 gives me a good chances of getting every I want to go. Presuming a tutor could lead you to get a 173 or 174 I'd say it would be worth the investment, though I do not believe it is that black and white.

If this helps at all - I was at 167 for a while, took two weeks off from PTs and drilled through all of Manhattan's by type LR questions (+drilling other sections at the same time) and I haven't gotten below 173 in a month (knock on wood :P )

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Alexandros wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:

If this helps at all - I was at 167 for a while, took two weeks off from PTs and drilled through all of Manhattan's by type LR questions (+drilling other sections at the same time) and I haven't gotten below 173 in a month (knock on wood :P )

Thanks for mentioning this. It actually helps a lot. It confirms my hunch as of late (more drilling/question typing and less PT's) at least for a week or 2.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Alexandros wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:

I think I'm going to start doing this

OP, I did get a tutor (just 3 hours), and it did not help me whatsoever.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:08 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:

I think I'm going to start doing this

OP, I did get a tutor (just 3 hours), and it did not help me whatsoever.

Thanks for the input. I have just been drilling games and question types non-stop for the past week. Will likely take a PT or 2 on later this week and see how much I improve.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�