Studying the sections simultaneously vs. individually

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
earlyfrost

New

Studying the sections simultaneously vs. individually

Postby earlyfrost » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and I've finally decided to make an account. I will be taking the LSAT next June, but I've already started studying.

I've begun with the The LSAT Trainer (I've already purchased the Manhattan texts as well). The Trainer wants us to learn the sections simultaneously (RC, LR, LG), but I'm more comfortable breaking these sections down and learning them deeply individually, but the Trainer doesn't advise that.

Which method would be better?

Thank you!

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Studying the sections simultaneously vs. individually

Postby Deardevil » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Personally, I like getting familiar with the sections one at a time.

Starting with The LSAT Trainer and then transitioning to the Manhattan Prep books is a good plan,
as the former will give you a head start since the latter assumes you already have basics down, helping you refine your skills.

In the end, there's no right or wrong. Best of luck!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:45 am

I'd do RC individually. LR and LG have enough in common that you do individually or simultaneously. Personally doing the sections individually is my preference.

earlyfrost

New

Postby earlyfrost » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Alright, thank you, you two!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:38 pm

earlyfrost wrote:Hi, everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and I've finally decided to make an account. I will be taking the LSAT next June, but I've already started studying.

I've begun with the The LSAT Trainer (I've already purchased the Manhattan texts as well). The Trainer wants us to learn the sections simultaneously (RC, LR, LG), but I'm more comfortable breaking these sections down and learning them deeply individually, but the Trainer doesn't advise that.

Which method would be better?

Thank you!

I started seeing major improvements when I started doing one section at a time. I don't think it makes sense to try to do them simultaneously, especially when learning. Now once you have the foundational stuff down, if you want to drill LG/LR at the same time, I think that can be OK, but still I think it is best one by one.

I focused on LG for 3 weeks straight got them down to -4 This was from a horrid -18 on my diagnostic.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

earlyfrost

New

Postby earlyfrost » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

^ Thanks, Barack. That's what I am planning to do then! I don't know why Mike/the Trainer is so adamant about studying everything at once.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 pm

earlyfrost wrote:^ Thanks, Barack. That's what I am planning to do then! I don't know why Mike/the Trainer is so adamant about studying everything at once.

Well, I love The LSAT Trainer and think that is a great method, but when you follow the study schedule you are never studying two things at once, but they cycle. So one day you'll be doing LR, then the next a lesson on LG, etc. The reason I think this works is because he doesn't really balkanize the sections the same way other companies do. He sort of builds off of flaws in arguments and then segues into other question types where flaws are important to notice.

Also, I think when you are learning the fundamentals, jumping around is OK. It is when you start drilling that I think it makes much more sense to stick with one thing until you have a mastery of it. I also think that we tend to study for the LSAT like a regular test. That is going section by section and memorizing the important stuff. But with the LSAT it is important to realize you don't need to memorize little tid bits of shit, because you can always just go back and look it up. Eventually you will get it down through problems sets and practice tests. Understanding is going to be more important then memorizing. I think it is part of the reason they use the LSAT to see who will be qualified for law school due to law school being more application based as opposed to rote memorization.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earlyfrost

New

Postby earlyfrost » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
earlyfrost wrote:^ Thanks, Barack. That's what I am planning to do then! I don't know why Mike/the Trainer is so adamant about studying everything at once.

Well, I love The LSAT Trainer and think that is a great method, but when you follow the study schedule you are never studying two things at once, but they cycle. So one day you'll be doing LR, then the next a lesson on LG, etc. The reason I think this works is because he doesn't really balkanize the sections the same way other companies do. He sort of builds off of flaws in arguments and then segues into other question types where flaws are important to notice.

Also, I think when you are learning the fundamentals, jumping around is OK. It is when you start drilling that I think it makes much more sense to stick with one thing until you have a mastery of it. I also think that we tend to study for the LSAT like a regular test. That is going section by section and memorizing the important stuff. But with the LSAT it is important to realize you don't need to memorize little tid bits of shit, because you can always just go back and look it up. Eventually you will get it down through problems sets and practice tests. Understanding is going to be more important then memorizing. I think it is part of the reason they use the LSAT to see who will be qualified for law school due to law school being more application based as opposed to rote memorization.

Thank you for such a thorough response. The Trainer stresses understanding over memorization as well, and I am going to be really working on that.

Mousebandit

New

Postby Mousebandit » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 am

When you're ready to start drilling, would you attack you weakest section type first, or go with the strongest section first, and knock it out before moving on? I'm weakest right now in LG and thinking of starting there (I'm working with the bibles and SuperPrep), but then I thought it might go smoother and provide more motivation, if I start with my strongest section. What sayeth the more experienced?

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 pm

Think about it like learning a sport. You don't learn how to play tennis by playing matches all day.

You focus on different techniques using drills.

Same idea. There are lots of guides on here to help you develop a study plan.

The trick is to invest the hours... and making sure they are quality hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�