February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Law2020hopeful

New

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Law2020hopeful » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Checkin in, just in case I tank December and need to retake in February.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 am

CMac86 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Anyone here feeling massive anxiety there's not enough time to study for this on top of working full time?

I don't think I'm at the point of massive anxiety, but it is a bit intimidating. I feel your pain on working full time. I'm a military musician, so my schedule varies dramatically week to week, sometimes day to day. It is when I let the thought of work demands, school demands (6 credit hours at a time, 8-week sessions), and my desire/need for a strong LSAT that I get a bit anxious. The thing that helps with that anxiety is having a schedule, and knowing when I am nearing burn out. I just came back from about two weeks away from hitting the material hard. The break gave me time to focus on finals, the twice a year BCA (body fat composition assessment...and I'm a large guy), and some fires (not in the literal sense) at work.

Over that break, I also took a hard look at how I was managing my time compared to the goals I want to accomplish. I know that if I don't plan, I'm doomed in all regards. I'm writing this post after completing about 45mins of LSAT study prior to going to work. I'll be getting about an hour of study in over lunch (2hr lunch break). Once I get off work, I'll get another hour in and then workout, after the workout, I'll be getting at least another hour in. So, on a fairly typical non-gig day, I will end up with 3.5-4.5hrs of study time in with no block lasting longer than an hour.

I'm keeping my options open, though. I know that there is a snowball's chance in hell that I would get a few days off in June approved to take the June test (assuming two days off prior to test date and the test date itself). So, if my request to take the February test falls through, or if I don't write a test in the range that I want, I'll be aiming for the Dec 2017 test. The late September/October test would be a crap shoot for me since this year I was on the road during that time frame. I'm not shooting for admission until the 2019-2020 school year, so I figure, that gives me the 2017 (Feb/Dec) and 2018 (Feb) tests to get the score that I want.

Good to hear I'm not the only one working full time and shooting for a high score! Weirdly enough, I started studying at least 3 hours after work every day this week and a lot of my anxiety is slipping away. It's still intimidating but so much more manageable. My planning was to take in February, so if I don't like my score then, then retake in June. By then, I don't have to worry about the LSAT (or I hope I won't have to) because after that I wanted to focus on the applications themselves.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 am

clueless801 wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Anyone here feeling massive anxiety there's not enough time to study for this on top of working full time?

I don't think I'm at the point of massive anxiety, but it is a bit intimidating. I feel your pain on working full time. I'm a military musician, so my schedule varies dramatically week to week, sometimes day to day. It is when I let the thought of work demands, school demands (6 credit hours at a time, 8-week sessions), and my desire/need for a strong LSAT that I get a bit anxious. The thing that helps with that anxiety is having a schedule, and knowing when I am nearing burn out. I just came back from about two weeks away from hitting the material hard. The break gave me time to focus on finals, the twice a year BCA (body fat composition assessment...and I'm a large guy), and some fires (not in the literal sense) at work.

Over that break, I also took a hard look at how I was managing my time compared to the goals I want to accomplish. I know that if I don't plan, I'm doomed in all regards. I'm writing this post after completing about 45mins of LSAT study prior to going to work. I'll be getting about an hour of study in over lunch (2hr lunch break). Once I get off work, I'll get another hour in and then workout, after the workout, I'll be getting at least another hour in. So, on a fairly typical non-gig day, I will end up with 3.5-4.5hrs of study time in with no block lasting longer than an hour.

I'm keeping my options open, though. I know that there is a snowball's chance in hell that I would get a few days off in June approved to take the June test (assuming two days off prior to test date and the test date itself). So, if my request to take the February test falls through, or if I don't write a test in the range that I want, I'll be aiming for the Dec 2017 test. The late September/October test would be a crap shoot for me since this year I was on the road during that time frame. I'm not shooting for admission until the 2019-2020 school year, so I figure, that gives me the 2017 (Feb/Dec) and 2018 (Feb) tests to get the score that I want.

Good to hear I'm not the only one working full time and shooting for a high score! Weirdly enough, I started studying at least 3 hours after work every day this week and a lot of my anxiety is slipping away. It's still intimidating but so much more manageable. My planning was to take in February, so if I don't like my score then, then retake in June. By then, I don't have to worry about the LSAT (or I hope I won't have to) because after that I wanted to focus on the applications themselves.

I think it is that feeling of control that is helping you out. It sounds like you have a plan. Good luck! I'm planning on taking my first practice test since starting 7sage on my next day off (Sunday or Monday).

Once I get an LSAT score that I am content with (whether that is Feb 2017 or as late as Feb 2018), then I'm going to get started on all the fun stuff (PS, addendums, etc), so by the time the applications open in 2018, I'll be set to get them in as soon as possible. From when the applications open in 2018 to start of school in 2019 is my last year of my contract, and I would like to have some of that time to blow off steam. E.g. I'll be finished with undergrad by June 2018, and will be starting my transition out of the active performing units, so I will finally start to explore New England for fun rather than in the context of a gig.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm really conflicted whether I should retake in December or February. I got a low 160s score for Sept and I'm a URM (MA) with a 3.7 gpa. I planned to apply to low T14, but I don't think I can get in with my LSAT. Work is going to get really busy these next few weeks so I'm not going to have a lot of time to prepare for the Dec LSAT, but I was PTing average 165-167 before the Sept LSAT. February would give me a lot more time to reread the Trainer, the Manhattan books, and PT, but I may not be able to apply for Fall 2017.

I really don't want to wait another year to apply, but I also don't want to limit my chances of going to a better school or getting a higher scholarship. I think I'm just going to apply with my current score and retake in February and ask for a reconsideration.

Any advice/recommendations?

Margaret99

New

Postby Margaret99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Checking in for Feb 2017.
I am studying part time, so I should be done with the LSAT in Feb :)

I have got the Trainer and the Bibles. Which one should I start with? Will be grateful for any advice; gonna be my first attempt.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:17 am

Margaret99 wrote:Checking in for Feb 2017.

I have got the Trainer and the Bibles. Which one should I start with? Will be grateful for any advice; gonna be my first attempt.

I'd start with the Trainer and then hit the bibles. Or you could use them in tandem....
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:40 am

Checking in! I had been PTing in the low 170s before September and wound up with a 163 for my second score, including a whopping -11 on RC :? . I was dead set on applying this cycle but after thinking it over I've decided to postpone my third take to February and sit out this cycle. There just isn't enough time before the December exam for me to reach my potential. My mom is pretty pissed at me but it's what's best for my future. Goodluck everyone!

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 am

Taking this test for sure! The practice tests on Amazon were really cheap

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:50 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:

I'd start with the Trainer and then hit the bibles. Or you could use them in tandem....

Hey you! I'm on 7Sage now (same username) - I got most way through the Trainer but I wanted to spend some time really hammering LG down since I'm usually accurate but just slow on time. I've been going through the LG videos but curious what your study schedule is? How much time do you put in each day and what do you spend time doing?

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:12 am

Torres1893 wrote:I'm really conflicted whether I should retake in December or February. I got a low 160s score for Sept and I'm a URM (MA) with a 3.7 gpa. I planned to apply to low T14, but I don't think I can get in with my LSAT. Work is going to get really busy these next few weeks so I'm not going to have a lot of time to prepare for the Dec LSAT, but I was PTing average 165-167 before the Sept LSAT. February would give me a lot more time to reread the Trainer, the Manhattan books, and PT, but I may not be able to apply for Fall 2017.

I really don't want to wait another year to apply, but I also don't want to limit my chances of going to a better school or getting a higher scholarship. I think I'm just going to apply with my current score and retake in February and ask for a reconsideration.

Any advice/recommendations?

I've always had the mindset to be the best applicant you can possibly be. Law school at this point becomes an investment, and if waiting a year means you get into a better school with a higher scholarship, why not wait?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am

Walliums wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Hey you! I'm on 7Sage now (same username) - I got most way through the Trainer but I wanted to spend some time really hammering LG down since I'm usually accurate but just slow on time. I've been going through the LG videos but curious what your study schedule is? How much time do you put in each day and what do you spend time doing?

Hey Walliums,

Nice! I'm happy to hear your progressing and moving on to 7Sage!

So every day is a little bit different in what I do, but I use and roughly stick to the 7Sage study schedule. (The one where you type in start and end date and it generates a schedule for you)

I probably prep about 25-30 hours a week. I think my average is right under 30hrs if I take Sundays off, and I usually do.

Normally after work, I grab dinner and begin prepping by 6pm.

I prep from about 6:00pm - 11:00pm (usually a few 15-minute breaks in there when my girlfriend bothers me) So let's call it 4 hours worth of prep, lol.

I try to spend the first half hour revising the previous day's lesson(s) and doing some additional drill work of that question type to reinforce what I've learned.

Then I will usually watch whatever lesson I have scheduled for that day which varies in time. Sometimes this takes the rest of the night.

If I finish the lesson and previous day's review with time to spare, I like to drill whatever question types I just learned and read the corresponding chapter in Manhattan. If the lesson was so long it spans two days, I'll just pick off where I left off tomorrow.

Saturdays I prep for 8 hours or so doing more of the same.

Right now my prep schedule has been a bit different because I've decided to focus solely on the analytical reasoning section. I am doing a logic games intensive which consists of fool proofing every game from PTs 1-35. I'll probably be working on this for the next 3 weeks or so.

the tl;dr version is I spend like 4 hours a day prepping; 8 on Sat. I review, watch new lessons, drill.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:57 pm

I delayed prepping and ordering the PTs until now. I'm probably going to re-read the LG and LR bibles. How useful is 7sage?

Law2020hopeful

New

Postby Law2020hopeful » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:27 pm

And I officially registered for February, in the event that I hate my December score.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 pm

The fact I have not been made OP is a human travesty

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 pm

PrezRand wrote:I delayed prepping and ordering the PTs until now. I'm probably going to re-read the LG and LR bibles. How useful is 7sage?

I'd do their free trial to give it a shot. After doing their free trial, I ended up buying the Ultimate course...and will more than likely be upgrading to Ultimate Plus by mid-November.

I'm 44hrs into their core curriculum (out of 169hrs). So, I haven't reached how they do logic games or reading comprehension, I have had several "AH HAH!" moments though. I'm missing 1-2 fewer questions per drill block of LR questions (typically 3/5 or 4/5 difficulty). It is rare that I miss a 1/5 or 2/5 LR question now.

I like how the material is presented, the frequency of drilling problem sets, and the overall product. I am used to learning material for school through reading and doing problem sets, yet I am finding the videos very helpful. I feel like it is another mode of getting the material into my head. The explanation videos have helped me quite a bit, whether they are for questions that I got wrong or questions that I got correct, but couldn't explain why the correct answer was correct yet I could explain why the wrong answers are wrong. Their explanation of blind review makes total sense now. I think that is a large part of why my LR skills are improving, even though it was my strongest section. I'm hoping for even better results on LG and RC.

I have read the LG and LR Bibles. It has been a few months since I used them though. If I remember correctly, the Bibles laid a great foundation for me. I went from a 150 diagnostic/cold test to having the final three tests I took while working from the Bibles being 159, 162, 159. Diagnostic was April 30, 2016, the other three tests were: May 15th, 22nd, and 23rd. Granted, those were very old tests (19-24). I took time off from studying (about a month), got back into it (score went back to just above diagnostic level), and about a month later (using LSAT Trainer), was back to scoring 159-160. As you might be able to guess, I then took more time off before starting the Manhattan LR and RC books...score dropped to 155. I'm planning on taking my first prep test since starting 7sage tomorrow. I'll post what I end up writing (it will be the June 2007 test).

That is a long-winded way of saying, check out the trial. See if their method of teaching clicks for you. This is the fourth company that I have tried, and it feels like the various pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together with a schedule that takes me to the week of the test.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:05 pm

CMac86 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I delayed prepping and ordering the PTs until now. I'm probably going to re-read the LG and LR bibles. How useful is 7sage?

I'd do their free trial to give it a shot. After doing their free trial, I ended up buying the Ultimate course...and will more than likely be upgrading to Ultimate Plus by mid-November.

I'm 44hrs into their core curriculum (out of 169hrs). So, I haven't reached how they do logic games or reading comprehension, I have had several "AH HAH!" moments though. I'm missing 1-2 fewer questions per drill block of LR questions (typically 3/5 or 4/5 difficulty). It is rare that I miss a 1/5 or 2/5 LR question now.

I like how the material is presented, the frequency of drilling problem sets, and the overall product. I am used to learning material for school through reading and doing problem sets, yet I am finding the videos very helpful. I feel like it is another mode of getting the material into my head. The explanation videos have helped me quite a bit, whether they are for questions that I got wrong or questions that I got correct, but couldn't explain why the correct answer was correct yet I could explain why the wrong answers are wrong. Their explanation of blind review makes total sense now. I think that is a large part of why my LR skills are improving, even though it was my strongest section. I'm hoping for even better results on LG and RC.

I have read the LG and LR Bibles. It has been a few months since I used them though. If I remember correctly, the Bibles laid a great foundation for me. I went from a 150 diagnostic/cold test to having the final three tests I took while working from the Bibles being 159, 162, 159. Diagnostic was April 30, 2016, the other three tests were: May 15th, 22nd, and 23rd. Granted, those were very old tests (19-24). I took time off from studying (about a month), got back into it (score went back to just above diagnostic level), and about a month later (using LSAT Trainer), was back to scoring 159-160. As you might be able to guess, I then took more time off before starting the Manhattan LR and RC books...score dropped to 155. I'm planning on taking my first prep test since starting 7sage tomorrow. I'll post what I end up writing (it will be the June 2007 test).

That is a long-winded way of saying, check out the trial. See if their method of teaching clicks for you. This is the fourth company that I have tried, and it feels like the various pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together with a schedule that takes me to the week of the test.

And the follow up after taking and BRing a test. Before BR: LG -5, LR1 -5, LR2 -9 (twas a bad one for me), Overall: +69/155RC: -9. After BR: LG -4, LR1 -3, LR2 -3, RC-4. +82/162. I made a lot of mistakes as I got more and more tired/scatter brained. This was my first test in a few weeks, so it went about how I expected, but it was encouraging to see my LR and RC numbers after BR. It was also a better than average LG section for me. I'm excited to see how my score and understanding increase as I get more and more into 7sage.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:42 pm

My dad is letting me use the spare room at his office to use as a study room. I can't study effectively at home so this is good.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

CMac86 wrote:

I have the cheapest 7sage course right now. Would you suggest upgrading to one of their other ones? I was looking through my syllabus at the locked lessons and it looks like the vast majority of the lessons that I don't have access to are just additional problem sets. Does that sound accurate to you?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:39 pm

any tips on increasing speed for Logic games?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 pm

PrezRand wrote:any tips on increasing speed for Logic games?

Drilling. A lot. It will come.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Rigo wrote:

I hope so. I'm really slow with these and its lowering my morale. I get them right but my time is awful

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:31 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Rigo wrote:

I hope so. I'm really slow with these and its lowering my morale. I get them right but my time is awful

Are you watching 7Sage explanations? Those are helpful.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Rigo wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Are you watching 7Sage explanations? Those are helpful.

I have not really looked into that website yet

goblue18

New

Postby goblue18 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 pm

Checking in for February. Will be retaking after receiving my October score result. Good luck everyone!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:39 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:I have the cheapest 7sage course right now. Would you suggest upgrading to one of their other ones? I was looking through my syllabus at the locked lessons and it looks like the vast majority of the lessons that I don't have access to are just additional problem sets. Does that sound accurate to you?

That sounds about right to me.

I think the upgrades just unlock more problem sets at harder difficulty levels and more tests for use from the question bank. The starter package covers the easiest problem sets and video explanations/question bank for PT's 36-44. I currently have the ultimate, which adds the easy and medium problem sets plus videos/question bank for PT's 36-72. I figured if I didn't spring for the additional difficulty levels, I would end up buying more books of questions grouped by type...and I'd rather just get it in this format.

So, I think it depends on if you want the video explanations for the most recent tests or not, as well as the additional problem sets. The core curriculum is the same. I'm finding the video explanations of questions to be tremendously helpful for strengthening my understanding, whether I got the question correct or not.

Eventually, I'll pay the extra $200 to upgrade to the Ultimate + package so that I can get access to the hardest question problem sets as well as the the video explanations for PT's 73-78.

According to my syllabus, I have completed 57/169hrs of the core curriculum so far.

I just started on the Memory Method/RC section (I skipped it to complete the MBT/MBF section), and I think this will be the most frustrating, yet rewarding section. Short term memory is something that I have had issues with in the last year due to medication side effects. It is like when you walk into a room and can't remember why you went in there, except it happens at other times as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?