February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
airwrecka

Silver

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:Just took PT 80 last night. Other than last logic game - actually not very difficult - and some of the reading not too bad: 173. Thoughts?

How did your score (173) compare to other recent PTs you've taken?

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (ETA tomorrow) so I have no thoughts to offer as of yet!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:Just took PT 80 last night. Other than last logic game - actually not very difficult - and some of the reading not too bad: 173. Thoughts?

I'll post about it later tonight. I'm doing PT 80 tonight with my 5th section being the LG from PT 79.

Edit: I just finished scoring PT 80 w/LG from PT 79. I didn't do the time breakdown this time, just ran it as a 5 section test with PT 79 LG as section 1.

PT 79 LG: -5, +18, PT80: LR: -8/+17, RC -2/+25, LG -7/+16, LR: -5/+21. 79 raw, 163 adjusted

I got lucky on PT 79 LG-I hit the virus game with about 5mins to go, and my guessing was nearly perfect. LG for PT 80, I spent too much time redrawing diagrams, so I ended up guessing on the bulk of the last game to mixed results. The RC from 80 seemed far easier than the RC from the 60's-70's PTs that I have completed. According to my spreadsheet, that is the best RC section I have ever completed (completed about 30 PT's).

If I write a 163 on test day, I'm done with the LSAT if I opt to pursue the JD/MBA (might retake if I change my mind about the dual degree). I'm glad that my last 2 PT's before the real thing were in my target range (160+).

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 am

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 am

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (ETA tomorrow) so I have no thoughts to offer as of yet!

It's very much within what I've been getting recently. Unfortunately underperformed on September 2016 with a 164 from a usual 170+ PT. All tests have been at least 172 recently so hopefully that bodes well.

Nice! That's good news. I'm sure you'll kill it on Saturday :D

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Just took a my final PT ever. A retake of 79. Didn't exactly go as well as I would have liked. I got two LG questions and an LR question wrong that I answered correctly the first time I took the test. Overall the first time I ever did worse on a retake. But I'll chalk it up to burnout/the boredom of doing a retake when you know it's pretty much too late to improve your LSAT skills.

I'm still going to do three sections tomorrow, throughout the day, not back to back.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

It's very much within what I've been getting recently. Unfortunately underperformed on September 2016 with a 164 from a usual 170+ PT. All tests have been at least 172 recently so hopefully that bodes well.

Thanks! I certainly hope so. I still have one retake in reserve for June, but I want to finish up now if possible. You're retaking on a 170?

Yup, I know a 170 is really good, but I also did not study NEARLY as much as I could/should have for my first take, so I know I can do better. Also hoping to improve those scholly offers :lol: Right now I'm PTing around 174-175, so hoping for a fairly big jump!

etramak wrote:Just took a my final PT ever. A retake of 79. Didn't exactly go as well as I would have liked. I got two LG questions and an LR question wrong that I answered correctly the first time I took the test. Overall the first time I ever did worse on a retake. But I'll chalk it up to burnout/the boredom of doing a retake when you know it's pretty much too late to improve your LSAT skills.

I'm still going to do three sections tomorrow, throughout the day, not back to back.

I'm sure it's just burnout! No worries!

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Thanks! I certainly hope so. I still have one retake in reserve for June, but I want to finish up now if possible. You're retaking on a 170?

Yup, I know a 170 is really good, but I also did not study NEARLY as much as I could/should have for my first take, so I know I can do better. Also hoping to improve those scholly offers :lol: Right now I'm PTing around 174-175, so hoping for a fairly big jump!

etramak wrote:Just took a my final PT ever. A retake of 79. Didn't exactly go as well as I would have liked. I got two LG questions and an LR question wrong that I answered correctly the first time I took the test. Overall the first time I ever did worse on a retake. But I'll chalk it up to burnout/the boredom of doing a retake when you know it's pretty much too late to improve your LSAT skills.

I'm sure it's just burnout! No worries!

Thanks! I know I'm more prepared than my last two takes (a 167 and a cancel) so that's what matters. If I come across an RC passage that seems incomprehensible, pretty much my problem in the past, I know I can get most if not all of the questions right if I take a deep breath and keep reading.

And nice job with the 170! Are you applying right now or next cycle?

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:12 pm

etramak wrote:
Thanks! I know I'm more prepared than my last two takes (a 167 and a cancel) so that's what matters. If I come across an RC passage that seems incomprehensible, pretty much my problem in the past, I know I can get most if not all of the questions right if I take a deep breath and keep reading.

Wow, iirc you have been scoring MUCH higher than that on your PTs so I'm sure you'll have a HUGE score jump!

I'm applying right now. I've actually heard back from all but three of the schools I applied to (out of 15), so this new score will be only for scholly negotiations (and hopefully an acceptance at HLS or SLS).

AMcJV12

New

Postby AMcJV12 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Man, I'm just hopin' and prayin' that whatever screwball game they throw at us on Saturday isn't too bad. NOT a fan of the recent wonky final game trend. Why can't all the AR sections be like the ones in the late 60's??!!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:44 pm

My PT 80 was just delivered! If only I weren't stuck at work so I could look at it!

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:23 pm

airwrecka wrote:
etramak wrote:

I'm sure you'll have a HUGE score jump!

sure hope so!

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Boarding the train for Munich early tomorrow morning. It may have been cheaper to request a special site after trans/airbnb and such. Oh well, wife and I will get a nice weekend out of it. Abroad takers holla.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Guys, I'm feeling SO discouraged right now. Just got home to open my PT 80 and do the games section because I know that's what I struggle the most with (especially the "weird" games). Well, I BOMBED it. While on a normal games section I can go -0 and have extra time, I went -6 on this one thanks to that horrible last game. I know some people thought it was easier than PT 79's virus game, but I honestly thought the virus game was way easier. I only answered ONE of the questions for the last game (on PT80) :(

I also misread a rule in the first game which caused me to waste time on an easy game.

I would have had to score PERFECTLY on both LR and the RC sections in PT80 to come away with a significantly better score than my June score. Now I am so so stressed about Saturday because all this work I have put in to studying could be ruined by one horrible game.

Ahhhh someone make me feel better this is terrible :( :( :(

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 pm

airwrecka wrote:Guys, I'm feeling SO discouraged right now. Just got home to open my PT 80 and do the games section because I know that's what I struggle the most with (especially the "weird" games). Well, I BOMBED it. While on a normal games section I can go -0 and have extra time, I went -6 on this one thanks to that horrible last game. I know some people thought it was easier than PT 79's virus game, but I honestly thought the virus game was way easier. I only answered ONE of the questions for the last game (on PT80) :(

I also misread a rule in the first game which caused me to waste time on an easy game.

I would have had to score PERFECTLY on both LR and the RC sections in PT80 to come away with a significantly better score than my June score. Now I am so so stressed about Saturday because all this work I have put in to studying could be ruined by one horrible game.

Do you normally practice at night? I used to do PTs at night when I was doing an internship and that could cause a 10 point decrease in my score. At least for me my brain after 8 hours of work isn't able to handle the shock of an unfamiliar game or a hard RC passage. Maybe try reviewing that game sometime tomorrow and it might make a lot more sense. If not, there's the obvious silver lining in that there's virtually zero chance the same kind of game appears on saturday!

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:44 am

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

I spent last night drilling LG's from PT 77, 79, and 80.

I'm feeling pretty good about Saturday, and think that pending a big surprise, I should write within my target range, and if not-I'll be glad I still have two takes left.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am

etramak wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Guys, I'm feeling SO discouraged right now. Just got home to open my PT 80 and do the games section because I know that's what I struggle the most with (especially the "weird" games). Well, I BOMBED it. While on a normal games section I can go -0 and have extra time, I went -6 on this one thanks to that horrible last game. I know some people thought it was easier than PT 79's virus game, but I honestly thought the virus game was way easier. I only answered ONE of the questions for the last game (on PT80) :(

Do you normally practice at night? I used to do PTs at night when I was doing an internship and that could cause a 10 point decrease in my score. At least for me my brain after 8 hours of work isn't able to handle the shock of an unfamiliar game or a hard RC passage. Maybe try reviewing that game sometime tomorrow and it might make a lot more sense. If not, there's the obvious silver lining in that there's virtually zero chance the same kind of game appears on saturday!

Same here - took PT80 on Wednesday and got a 171. Which, on one hand, scared me because I want to do better than that but on the other I'm happy about it because I KNEW when I was done with it that I didn't feel great about it - sure enough, went -4 on RC - and it was still higher than September, despite not starting it until 6:30 or 7. definitely hard to stay sharp after being at work all day, and I think the adrenaline of test day makes me focus more and avoid stupid mistakes like not completely reading question stems.

Also what etra said is true, the probability of there being the same type of game on February is low. I think us going into it with the mentality that there will likely be a weird game is already an improvement of it blindsiding me in September.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Just went -2 on the last complete practice section I'll ever do. Would've been nice to go out perfect but it was a tricky section from the 90s. I know if I stay calm tomorrow and everything goes smoothly that I can get at least a 170 and maybe even a 173+ like I've been getting on the PTs. Look forward to the next month anxiously awaiting our scores!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am

etramak wrote:

Anon.y.mousse wrote:

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:

Thank you all for your encouragement/words/advice :) You've seriously helped me chill out a little bit! I immediately looked up the solution to the game on youtube after I did it, and now that I've seen how it's done, I think I get it, and will be prepared to tackle something similar if it were to show up tomorrow. Also, etramak & anon.y.mousse-- I never usually study/drill after work/in the evenings so I think you guys are right in that it probably threw me off. My husband also pointed out that I was in a bad mood when I got home (even before the PT), so that was probably throwing me off, and I also forgot to turn the light on where I was doing the test, and I had to stop halfway through the section and ask him to turn it on for me because I could barely see the page :lol: (I was working near a window and it was getting dark).

All in all, I will keep up a positive attitude, continue drilling weird games during the day today, do some deep breathing tomorrow morning before the test, and know that I've done all I could to prepare!

Good luck to us all! We've got this :D

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Last edited by 34iplaw on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Did you misread where N (I think?) goes on the first game? I did that too. I was lucky that I caught it by the first question and I ripped through every other game.

No, I accidentally read that O was NOT a facilitator instead of O IS a facilitator...makes a big difference :lol:

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Did you misread where N (I think?) goes on the first game? I did that too. I was lucky that I caught it by the first question and I ripped through every other game.

No, I accidentally read that O was NOT a facilitator instead of O IS a facilitator...makes a big difference :lol:

Haha - I forget which I did... I basically put one variable in the wrong binary group... it could have been the same deal.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?