February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:How do you guys tackle the setup and rules for in/out logic games? I've been using the manhattan prep chart method but my diagrams aren't always super clear, and i'm worried i'm making it more confusing than it has to be after watching the 7sage videos on those games. maybe a logic chain would be more straightforward. Thoughts/advice?


I do whatever the LSAT Trainer suggested, and I think it works for me. I find in/out games to be the easiest, usually. I write all the rules as "if --> then" with arrows and I also write out the contrapositives of all rules because that usually makes inferences a LOT easier.

So I was pretty flippin excited on Saturday because I retook PT 75 (I'm all out of fresh tests :( ) and got a 180!!! Last time I took the test (mid-November I think), I scored a 167...so that's exciting :D Had tons of extra time on all the sections, too.


CONGRATS! that is awesome!! did you order PT 80? I order mine Saturday and hope I get it today or tomorrow so I have one last fresh test before Saturday.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:58 pm

One last week of prep! I've thankfully been hitting above my target score on retakes and, as for the two fresh PTs I was able to take, one above and one equal to my target. The one problem is that I'm still making really silly mistakes. Misreading a rule and getting half the questions on a LG wrong (cost me 4 whole points on a fresh PT!). Looking at the fourth paragraph when the question is about the third. Worst of all, misbubbling. Nothing I can do about the latter but be careful, but I guess on test day if a question really doesn't make sense I'll have to reread all the rules over or make sure I'm not doing something completely wrong. On a more positive note, though, I think my analytical and reading comprehension skills have increased a lot since I took the test last June.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
CONGRATS! that is awesome!! did you order PT 80? I order mine Saturday and hope I get it today or tomorrow so I have one last fresh test before Saturday.


I did not preorder it because I'm afraid it won't arrive before the test and I don't want to waste the $10 :P (I am so cheap :lol:).

etramak wrote:One last week of prep! I've thankfully been hitting above my target score on retakes and, as for the two fresh PTs I was able to take, one above and one equal to my target. The one problem is that I'm still making really silly mistakes. Misreading a rule and getting half the questions on a LG wrong (cost me 4 whole points on a fresh PT!). Looking at the fourth paragraph when the question is about the third. Worst of all, misbubbling. Nothing I can do about the latter but be careful, but I guess on test day if a question really doesn't make sense I'll have to reread all the rules over or make sure I'm not doing something completely wrong. On a more positive note, though, I think my analytical and reading comprehension skills have increased a lot since I took the test last June.


I'm also feeling like my analytical and reading comp skills have improved a lot since June! Go us! :D

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
CONGRATS! that is awesome!! did you order PT 80? I order mine Saturday and hope I get it today or tomorrow so I have one last fresh test before Saturday.


Have you got a notification that it has shipped yet? Whenever you get that notification you can post in here so we all know it's available :lol:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
CONGRATS! that is awesome!! did you order PT 80? I order mine Saturday and hope I get it today or tomorrow so I have one last fresh test before Saturday.


Have you got a notification that it has shipped yet? Whenever you get that notification you can post in here so we all know it's available :lol:


Expected to ship today according to my Amazon account so hopefully that's the case!

CMac86

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby CMac86 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:53 pm

I got the shipped notification at 12:16PM today. Should be delivered on the 1st.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm

CMac86 wrote:I got the shipped notification at 12:16PM today. Should be delivered on the 1st.


Thank you for this update! I'll bite the bullet and order it now then.

metsfan2017

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby metsfan2017 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:37 pm

i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm

metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

Of course! Do you really look that much different? I've taken the LSAT twice at two different test centers. First time the proctors did a pretty thorough check but were still very lenient. One woman had a lsac picture about the size of her thumbnail and was still allowed to take the test after a conversation with an lsac official. The second time I took it the check was much less thorough. Just a quick glance at my ID

metsfan2017

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby metsfan2017 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46 pm

etramak wrote:
metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

Of course! Do you really look that much different? I've taken the LSAT twice at two different test centers. First time the proctors did a pretty thorough check but were still very lenient. One woman had a lsac picture about the size of her thumbnail and was still allowed to take the test after a conversation with an lsac official. The second time I took it the check was much less thorough. Just a quick glance at my ID


no i don't. my license photo was over 6 years ago with less facial hair and no eyeglasses. I guess it's possible that they would deny me. This is my fault no doubt. It's in 5 days so there is no I can update it in this short time.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 pm

metsfan2017 wrote:
etramak wrote:
metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

Of course! Do you really look that much different? I've taken the LSAT twice at two different test centers. First time the proctors did a pretty thorough check but were still very lenient. One woman had a lsac picture about the size of her thumbnail and was still allowed to take the test after a conversation with an lsac official. The second time I took it the check was much less thorough. Just a quick glance at my ID


no i don't. my license photo was over 6 years ago with less facial hair and no eyeglasses. I guess it's possible that they would deny me. This is my fault no doubt. It's in 5 days so there is no I can update it in this short time.

As long as your ID isnt expired I think you'll be OK. Just in case, maybe bring a passport if you have one, even if that isn't recent. School ID too. Even though that won't count as official, it may convince a lazy proctor to not have a 10 minute conversation with LSAC if it came to that. I really don't think you have to worry though

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:10 pm

My copy of PT80 shipped too! Should be here Wednesday. :)

metsfan2017

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby metsfan2017 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm

etramak wrote:
metsfan2017 wrote:
etramak wrote:
metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

Of course! Do you really look that much different? I've taken the LSAT twice at two different test centers. First time the proctors did a pretty thorough check but were still very lenient. One woman had a lsac picture about the size of her thumbnail and was still allowed to take the test after a conversation with an lsac official. The second time I took it the check was much less thorough. Just a quick glance at my ID


no i don't. my license photo was over 6 years ago with less facial hair and no eyeglasses. I guess it's possible that they would deny me. This is my fault no doubt. It's in 5 days so there is no I can update it in this short time.

As long as your ID isnt expired I think you'll be OK. Just in case, maybe bring a passport if you have one, even if that isn't recent. School ID too. Even though that won't count as official, it may convince a lazy proctor to not have a 10 minute conversation with LSAC if it came to that. I really don't think you have to worry though


thanks for the optimism sir. I appreciate it. id photo is over 4 years i mean. I couldn't much information about my testing center.

CMac86

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby CMac86 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Continuing my last week chug to the finish.

I did PT75 with the LG section PT 74 as an experimental (did it first/as section 1). I wrote exactly at the bottom end of my target score range at160. It was higher by 9 raw points and 5 scaled points than PT 77 (that I did two days ago).

Breakdown: LR1: -7/+18, RC: -6/+21, LR2: -8/+17, LG: -5/+18. 74/160.
LG Break Down: G1: -0, G2: -1, G3: -2, G4: -2.
I think it took me too long on G2 figuring out inferences and deciding if I wanted to do it as a grouping or chart game. Overall, it was a better than normal LG section for me.

Time was an issue for me on LG. I ended up having 5mins to do the last game and felt rushed.

I'll be entering this test into 7sage to see what LR questions gave me the most issue.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on watching the 7sage video explanations for both LG sections (PT74 and 75) with particular attention to PT 74 since I did pretty bad on it (-10 and had major time issues), drilling LG from PT's 74, 75, and 77, and as well as reviewing LR question types that I missed on this PT. Next PT will either be PT79 or PT80 on Wednesday, depending on what time PT 80 arrives. I also need to do some course work that is due Thursday, so my before work and lunch time studying will probably be course work as opposed to LSAT.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 am

metsfan2017 wrote:
etramak wrote:
metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?

Of course! Do you really look that much different? I've taken the LSAT twice at two different test centers. First time the proctors did a pretty thorough check but were still very lenient. One woman had a lsac picture about the size of her thumbnail and was still allowed to take the test after a conversation with an lsac official. The second time I took it the check was much less thorough. Just a quick glance at my ID


no i don't. my license photo was over 6 years ago with less facial hair and no eyeglasses. I guess it's possible that they would deny me. This is my fault no doubt. It's in 5 days so there is no I can update it in this short time.


FWIW, I'm using my passport as my ID because I changed my last name on my driver's license (married) and it no longer matches my LSAC info. My passport is more than 6 years old, but I think I look similar enough for it to be fine. Don't fret! Something like glasses shouldn't affect their decision to admit/deny you because you can easily put them on/take them off to match the photo.

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:My copy of PT80 shipped too! Should be here Wednesday. :)


great! now I'm mad I didn't order it sooner...I placed my order yesterday but Amazon is telling me it won't arrive until Friday :'( at least I will still get it before the test!

CMac86

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby CMac86 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:
great! now I'm mad I didn't order it sooner...I placed my order yesterday but Amazon is telling me it won't arrive until Friday :'( at least I will still get it before the test!


If Amazon does the same for you that they did for me, it could arrive early. Initially, they said it would be here on the 1st, but I just got the notification that it has been delivered (I haven't been out to my mailbox in a while).

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:53 pm

CMac86 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
great! now I'm mad I didn't order it sooner...I placed my order yesterday but Amazon is telling me it won't arrive until Friday :'( at least I will still get it before the test!


If Amazon does the same for you that they did for me, it could arrive early. Initially, they said it would be here on the 1st, but I just got the notification that it has been delivered (I haven't been out to my mailbox in a while).


Same thing - initially was saying tomorrow or Thursday but saw it was out for delivery this morning :)

CMac86

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby CMac86 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:43 pm

I just finished off a big confidence boost.

I did two consecutive timed sections (both LG) from PT's 75 and 77. PT 77 is the one that got me on my first take-I went -11 (on the 28th), but tonight I went -1. On PT 75, the first take I went -5, and tonight I went -2. The first takes of each, I had time issues, but this time-I came in well under time (about 33mins per section).

Tomorrow will be my last PT before the real thing. I'll be doing PT 80 with the LG section from PT 79. Continuing the trend that I started in the 70's, I'll be making clean copies/PDF's of the LG section from each of these tests for drilling.

The study plan for the rest of the week.
Wednesday: PT80 w/LG 79
Thursday: Review PT80 w/LG 79, drill LG's from 74, 79, 80. Prep my ziplock bag.
Friday: LG from one of the above PT's, prep my warm up packet (two games, one page of LR, one RC passage), leave for hotel.
Saturday: Warmup pack shortly after waking up, check out of the hotel, and then rock the LSAT followed by a nice dinner...and then home to do homework.
Sunday: rest of homework followed by a day or two of thinking as little as possible.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 am

Again today I got a question wrong because I misread it. Forgot to take my own advice of rereading the question if none of the answers made sense. Posting this here as a second reminder :lol:

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:07 pm

etramak wrote:Again today I got a question wrong because I misread it. Forgot to take my own advice of rereading the question if none of the answers made sense. Posting this here as a second reminder :lol:


Ah that's the worst! The good news about this test being undisclosed is that if we make silly mistakes like that or misbubbling, we won't know and won't hate ourselves for it :lol:

In other news, now Amazon is telling me that PT 80 will arrive on Thursday. Woohoo!

I'm getting nervous for Saturday because my last few weeks of prep have gone really well, and so my expectations are now very high. If I somehow bomb the real I thing I will be so upset :(

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Does anyone know what an "operation game" is. I saw it referenced on the reddit LSAT forum but I don't use reddit so couldn't ask whomever suggested studying them.

airwrecka wrote:
etramak wrote:Again today I got a question wrong because I misread it. Forgot to take my own advice of rereading the question if none of the answers made sense. Posting this here as a second reminder :lol:

I'm getting nervous for Saturday because my last few weeks of prep have gone really well, and so my expectations are now very high. If I somehow bomb the real I thing I will be so upset :(

Understandable but it sounds like you're ready! A good problem to have in a way!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:10 pm

airwrecka wrote:
etramak wrote:Again today I got a question wrong because I misread it. Forgot to take my own advice of rereading the question if none of the answers made sense. Posting this here as a second reminder :lol:


Ah that's the worst! The good news about this test being undisclosed is that if we make silly mistakes like that or misbubbling, we won't know and won't hate ourselves for it :lol:

In other news, now Amazon is telling me that PT 80 will arrive on Thursday. Woohoo!

I'm getting nervous for Saturday because my last few weeks of prep have gone really well, and so my expectations are now very high. If I somehow bomb the real I thing I will be so upset :(


Feeling the same. A 1-2 point increase (or - heaven forbid - same score/decrease) would be hard to stomach after PTing as well as I have over the last 5 tests I've taken. But I'm going into it with a positive attitude, the reassurance that I have and will have great options regardless of how it goes, the familiarity of having been in those testing conditions before, and the outlook that I know I have the potential to get every question right, and it sounds like you're in the same place! Just ready to get it over with though honestly.

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby waldorf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:15 pm

metsfan2017 wrote:i just realized that my driver's license isn't recent compared to my lsac photo. I can't believe I overlooked this mistake. Should I still go on saturday and see if they let me in?


I took the LSAT when I was 21 with the driver's license that I got on my 16th birthday. I looked, honestly, like a completely different person - to the point where TSA agents at airports would sometimes look at my ID for so long that I thought they weren't going to let me on the plane. I mean, my LSAC photo and my driver's license photo literally looked like two different people. Anyway, I had zero problems. They barely glanced at my driver's license and I got in just fine.

User avatar
Neil_Gorsuch

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby etramak » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:Just took PT 80 last night. Other than last logic game - actually not very difficult - and some of the reading not too bad: 173. Thoughts?

Same score as me! Spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't taken it yet:

I was a bit disappointed because on the second game I completely misread a rule. The last rule, iirc, required two pieces be next to each other and I did the whole game as if they couldn't be next to each other! That thankfully only cost me two questions (and a lot of time, no wonder the questions didn't make any sense), four points in total I think. I agree that the fourth game wasn't that difficult compared to previous "weird" games. I actually had more trouble with the third game and had to brute force my way through a few of those questions. I plan on doing that game again either Friday night or Saturday morning.

I heard from a friend who took 80 on test day that the RC was extremely easy and the LR was extremely hard, but I disagree. Seemed to me pretty average LR (a hard section offset by an easier one), fairly difficult LG (maybe a bit harder than 79) and average RC. While the RC had no Tokens or Lacquer passage, it wasn't exactly a breeze. Also had to read the second half of the fourth passage twice to make sense of it. At the end of the day I'd happily take a 173 on Saturday!



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests