February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
airwrecka

Silver

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:13 am

Last night my husband told me that on the day of the test, I should say "I'm definitely going to get 180 on this!", then walk up, do a 180 degree turn, and leave. :roll: His jokes are bad. :P

Anywayyyy spent a lot of time going over game 4 from PT 72 and game 4 from PT 79 last night to really get a handle on how to tackle some of those unusual games in case there is one on this test (I hope not). Getting really excited about getting this over with, but very much dreading the 3.5 week wait for scores :shock:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 am

airwrecka wrote:Last night my husband told me that on the day of the test, I should say "I'm definitely going to get 180 on this!", then walk up, do a 180 degree turn, and leave. :roll: His jokes are bad. :P

Anywayyyy spent a lot of time going over game 4 from PT 72 and game 4 from PT 79 last night to really get a handle on how to tackle some of those unusual games in case there is one on this test (I hope not). Getting really excited about getting this over with, but very much dreading the 3.5 week wait for scores :shock:

RT SO ready to be done with it. We can do it! And I'm hoping the wait will be not as bad the second time around.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Last night my husband told me that on the day of the test, I should say "I'm definitely going to get 180 on this!", then walk up, do a 180 degree turn, and leave. :roll: His jokes are bad. :P

RT SO ready to be done with it. We can do it! And I'm hoping the wait will be not as bad the second time around.

My consolation is that my birthday is Feb 20, so maybe I can drag the festivities out long enough to distract myself :P :lol:

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Do you guys bubble in the answer after each question? I've developed a habit of doing questions out of order which has led me to bubble answers one page at a time, but it led to a pretty bad bubbling error today. Perhaps I should use the next week to change that

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 pm

etramak wrote:Do you guys bubble in the answer after each question? I've developed a habit of doing questions out of order which has led me to bubble answers one page at a time, but it led to a pretty bad bubbling error today. Perhaps I should use the next week to change that

For LR and RC I tend to bubble at the end of a reading passage or at the end of two pages before I flip on to the next page. For LG, where time is more of a concern, I feel better bubbling after every question so at least I have something there should I run out of time before I can return to an answer I'm unsure of. But yeah, definitely need to keep track if you've skipped questions or it could be disastrous. I try to circle on the question itself and on the answer sheet if there is one I'm leaving blank to return to later so there's a visual reminder in both places.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm

etramak wrote:Do you guys bubble in the answer after each question? I've developed a habit of doing questions out of order which has led me to bubble answers one page at a time, but it led to a pretty bad bubbling error today. Perhaps I should use the next week to change that

I bubble in the answer after every question. I've had a few bad bubbling errors, and so I've been training myself to ensure bubbling accuracy for the past couple months haha. I don't want something as silly as bubbles to mess up my score!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:49 pm

I recently started bubbling in LG after every game and after each passage in RC. That seems like it takes less time for me than going question by question. It is at bubble in time that any problems where I either skipped or narrowed it down to two answers where I make that decision. I'm still bubbling per question on LR though. I tend to keep a solid eye on time, and know that if I'm down to the 2mins, it is time to bubble whether I have completed the pages or not.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm to the point now where I don't bubble at all before the five minute warning. I realize I may lose 10 seconds or so flipping pages repeatedly but I think keeping focus through the section has benefited me.

sethnoorzad

New

Postby sethnoorzad » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Checking in.

Wrote the first time in Dec, scored a 163. -5 RC, -1 / -4 LR, -12 LG

Sounds like everyone is doing great with their prep... I've only taken one full timed PT since Dec, scored a 165. I've been drilling specific LR question types in this Manhattan book that has PT's 40-50 organized by type. That has been really helpful. I scored well on LR in Dec but I felt like I was just flying by the seat of my pants.. Now I feel like I'm really getting a solid grasp of the logic of the questions.

As for logic games, I did worse than normal. I normally get to three games, maybe missing the last question or two of the third game. I've been working on it slowly. Just taking full 35 minute sections and doing them one at a time, then BR with unlimited time and I watch the 7sage videos as well. Honestly I can't bring myself to devote hours and hours to this per day.. I'm just doing as much as I can. I figure an average of 30-90 mins per day is better than a bunch of cramming over a short period of time.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the responses to the bubbling question - I think I'm just gonna try to bubble after each question from now on.

In other news, PT 80 is available for preorder on Amazon

Susurrus

New

Postby Susurrus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 pm

etramak wrote:Thanks for all the responses to the bubbling question - I think I'm just gonna try to bubble after each question from now on.

It says it wont be released till Feb 16th? wtf is that.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 am

Susurrus wrote:
etramak wrote:Thanks for all the responses to the bubbling question - I think I'm just gonna try to bubble after each question from now on.

Where did you see this?? rrrr I pre-ordered and was planning on taking it next wednesday as my final PT. I can't find any info on date of release except that tests usually come out a week or two before the next test is administered

ETA -- not posting until feb 4th to maintain the crucial 180 posts lmao. The publishing date is the 16th, but I called LSAC anyway. They will likely not be releasing the test until after feb 4th, though the woman I spoke with wasn't 100% sure. I wouldn't bank on it either way :(

ETA 2 -- got my pre-order estimated for jan 31st this morning ... I guess LSAC doesn't tell its own employees what it plans on doing
Last edited by maybeman on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am

maybeman wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

Where did you see this?? rrrr I pre-ordered and was planning on taking it next wednesday as my final PT. I can't find any info on date of release except that tests usually come out a week or two before the next test is administered

I just saw it too. Amazon lists the publication date as 2/16. But someone a few posts back said LSAC said it would be released before the fourth

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:59 pm

etramak wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

I just saw it too. Amazon lists the publication date as 2/16. But someone a few posts back said LSAC said it would be released before the fourth

I'm not preordering until I know for sure it will be released before test day. I have prime, so if it gets released before Wednesday, I could have it before the test. Because if it comes after the test, I will have wasted $10 and never want to see another LSAT again!

For those of you who have taken before, what kind of pencils do you prefer for the test? I know it's a little nerdy to ask, but pencils really do vary in quality! Specifically, some erasers SUCK.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:
etramak wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

I'm not preordering until I know for sure it will be released before test day. I have prime, so if it gets released before Wednesday, I could have it before the test. Because if it comes after the test, I will have wasted $10 and never want to see another LSAT again!

For those of you who have taken before, what kind of pencils do you prefer for the test? I know it's a little nerdy to ask, but pencils really do vary in quality! Specifically, some erasers SUCK.

I think Ticonderogas are always the way to go. Might grab a magic rub eraser this time as back up in case something goes disastrously wrong on a diagram or I misbubble or something.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
etramak wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

I think Ticonderogas are always the way to go. Might grab a magic rub eraser this time as back up in case something goes disastrously wrong on a diagram or I misbubble or something.

My husband swears by Ticonderogas, too. I think I'll go with them. And definitely a big eraser, too! I'm an erase-a-holic.

gopack24377

New

Postby gopack24377 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:12 pm

PT 79, 165 :( RC is my nightmare section, -8. Ahhhhhh so frustrating, if I could even get it to -5 consistently I would be more than happy. My consistent poor RC performance leaves me absolutely no room for much error on the other sections. -4 on both LRs so probably a couple dumb mistakes, -2 LG.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

gopack24377 wrote:PT 79, 165 :( RC is my nightmare section, -8. Ahhhhhh so frustrating, if I could even get it to -5 consistently I would be more than happy. My consistent poor RC performance leaves me absolutely no room for much error on the other sections. -4 on both LRs so probably a couple dumb mistakes, -2 LG.

PT 79 had a historically difficult RC passage. Early in the section, too.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 am

Looks like PT 80 is shipping out now

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:15 pm

etramak wrote:Looks like PT 80 is shipping out now

Thank you!!! Just ordered it!

Got a 177 on PT 76 today. So excited because I didn't understand the 3rd game right away (like on the September test) and managed to stay more calm and work through it.

T-1 week from now we'll be done guys!!!!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I did PT 77 today.

I did pretty poorly. I wrote a 65/155. This is my lowest PT since October. I did worse than normal on LG and the first LR section. I did this PT in a different room at work than normal (had a radiator), and ended up getting interrupted three times, once during each of the last three sections. I didn't start to feel brain dead till the last 5 questions of section 5.

So here's my breakdown: RC -7/+20, LR1: -10/+15 (ouch), LG: -11/+12 (even bigger ouch), LR2: -7/+19.

I did this one as a 5 section with a repeat LG section for section 1 (PT72), and went -3/+20.

LG break down: G1 went fairly quick for me and I went -1, G2 -2 and is the game I caught myself treating it as a BR-where I proved why every answer was wrong/right, G3:-4 looked at it and thought "WTF" and did my best to guess but I was clueless on how to approach it, G4: -4, I had 5mins to do it and ended up guessing on the last 4 (if I would have stuck with my normal guess letter I would have gone -2 on G4) while rushing the first 2 questions. I was very rushed on G4, and think I should have skipped G3 and took the time for G4 with guessing on G3.

I'm not going to look at LR and RC until I go through it question by question tomorrow.

So,here's my plan for tomorrow: review the test (e.g. go question by question, proving each answer right/wrong), then watch the 7sage explanation for this test, redo the logic games section at least once, and figure out where I went wrong on LR. LR used to be my best section, e.g. for PT's in the 30's-50's, I was going fairly consistent in the -4 range for first LR section and -6 or better in the second LR section.

With this score being so low, I'm banking on having solid review and retention. I'm thinking I'll do PT's on Monday and Wednesday (PT's 75 and 79) with PT review on Tuesday/Thursday, and then keeping Friday a light general review.

I did learn/get a couple of things confirmed to me, though! Off the top, having a soda for my break drink is not a good idea for me. I needed to use the bathroom pretty bad by the time section 5 hit. I'm going to try having one of my self-made drinks during break (85mg of caffeine + B-vitamins+ Vitamin D), and if that fails-I'll opt for Green Tea with half a pump of added caffeine (about 40mg). My snack schedule is getting refined, but I think the foods themselves are set-Clif Mojo bars. With the potential for the test to start late, I'm thinking that I'll eat a normal breakfast, have a snack right before checking in, and then will have a Mojo bar as my snack.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 pm

airwrecka wrote:Anywayyyy spent a lot of time going over game 4 from PT 72 and game 4 from PT 79 last night to really get a handle on how to tackle some of those unusual games in case there is one on this test (I hope not). Getting really excited about getting this over with, but very much dreading the 3.5 week wait for scores :shock:

Did you watch the 7sage explanation for G4 PT72? It seemed to help me with it. I still get tripped up on the wording in that game, though.

I'm on the road for the first few weeks of March, so I'm hoping that will keep my mind off of the wait for scores.

At that point, I will either be DONE with the LSAT or will be submitting a request to work for time off to take it in June (if I'm not on the road that day, it should be approved) or October. I'm going to take at least the week after the test off from studying, if not two weeks.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:11 pm

How do you guys tackle the setup and rules for in/out logic games? I've been using the manhattan prep chart method but my diagrams aren't always super clear, and i'm worried i'm making it more confusing than it has to be after watching the 7sage videos on those games. maybe a logic chain would be more straightforward. Thoughts/advice?

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:How do you guys tackle the setup and rules for in/out logic games? I've been using the manhattan prep chart method but my diagrams aren't always super clear, and i'm worried i'm making it more confusing than it has to be after watching the 7sage videos on those games. maybe a logic chain would be more straightforward. Thoughts/advice?

I haven't looked at 7sage videos in a while but whatever I do was heavily influenced by them. Basically I write out the logic chains that the rules dictate. Then next to that I have a t-chart, in/X on the lefthand column and out/Y on the right.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:How do you guys tackle the setup and rules for in/out logic games? I've been using the manhattan prep chart method but my diagrams aren't always super clear, and i'm worried i'm making it more confusing than it has to be after watching the 7sage videos on those games. maybe a logic chain would be more straightforward. Thoughts/advice?

I do whatever the LSAT Trainer suggested, and I think it works for me. I find in/out games to be the easiest, usually. I write all the rules as "if --> then" with arrows and I also write out the contrapositives of all rules because that usually makes inferences a LOT easier.

So I was pretty flippin excited on Saturday because I retook PT 75 (I'm all out of fresh tests :( ) and got a 180!!! Last time I took the test (mid-November I think), I scored a 167...so that's exciting :D Had tons of extra time on all the sections, too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?