February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tomthecat

New

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Tomthecat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm

AJordan wrote:Have completed all the tests finally. I used to think the tests in the 70s were brutal. Now I think that the tests I took in the 30s are the worst. 40s were the easiest.

I think it's easy to see how the test has evolved. The hardest questions in the 30s tests just don't seem to show up anymore. The ambiguities in some of those questions are just brutal. Went back and reviewed the wrong answers I had on some 70s tests last night and feel like a complete moron for having missed a few of them. Cautiously optimistic for my goal. 1st try but hoping to be done with it after 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Agree. Old LR questions are worse.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Got a 180 (-2) on PT 77!!!! Sooooo stoked right now. Last two PTs were 177, 176. Didn't feel comfortable with the first LR section at all. Can't believe this just happened. Finally feeling totally ready for February

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Just finished PT 73. Wrote a 160. Not great, but not as low as it could have been. I did this test with plenty of distractions-I completed it at work, and someone was practicing in the room next door, so every so often I could hear some loud flourishes.

I've been stalled at 160 +/- 2pts for the last two months. A positive note is that this was one of the better LG sections for me, but it was also one of the worst performances I have had on LR and RC. With this being crunch time, my plan is to do an LR intensive (go back through the 7sage LR curriculum), and do two PT's a week with blind review. That should let me hit 75, 77, and 79 before the Feb test.

If I write sub 160 on the real thing, I'm going to retake in October of this year or February of 2018 (depending on which date I can get off from work). If I write 164 or above, I won't retake. If I write 160-163, I'll have to wait and see how my GPA plays out as well as if the 75ths for my primary target schools goes up much. 75th for my primary target schools is 158/160. My GPA will be just below their 25th of 3.07/3.09 (I'm looking at a 2.85-2.95 LSAC GPA upon graduation in a year). GPA is where I could have really used a clean slate/start over when I restarted classes/switched majors after 8 years.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm

maybeman wrote:Got a 180 (-2) on PT 77!!!! Sooooo stoked right now. Last two PTs were 177, 176. Didn't feel comfortable with the first LR section at all. Can't believe this just happened. Finally feeling totally ready for February

Congrats!! If you don't mind sharing, how have you been practicing?

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
maybeman wrote:Got a 180 (-2) on PT 77!!!! Sooooo stoked right now. Last two PTs were 177, 176. Didn't feel comfortable with the first LR section at all. Can't believe this just happened. Finally feeling totally ready for February

Thanks! My studying is geared towards my personal issues, which are not section-specific or question specific, so I'd only take note of this "strategy" if that sounds like you. I'm generally prone to missing the hardest questions in any given section. Anyway, here's what I've been doing/not doing

I never drill by question type, only section (3 a day, one of each). I take 6-section PTs twice a week. I warm up with 3 RC passages, 3 games, and 10 hard LR questions before each PT. I technically BR, but since I lost my BR partner I haven't been BR-ing properly. I used to do a lot of memory method and swore by it, but realized it wasn't actually helping. I switched to doing RC sections exclusively.

Happy to answer any other questions

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:28 pm

maybeman wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Thanks! My studying is geared towards my personal issues, which are not section-specific or question specific, so I'd only take note of this "strategy" if that sounds like you. I'm generally prone to missing the hardest questions in any given section. Anyway, here's what I've been doing/not doing

I never drill by question type, only section (3 a day, one of each). I take 6-section PTs twice a week. I warm up with 3 RC passages, 3 games, and 10 hard LR questions before each PT. I technically BR, but since I lost my BR partner I haven't been BR-ing properly. I used to do a lot of memory method and swore by it, but realized it wasn't actually helping. I switched to doing RC sections exclusively.

Happy to answer any other questions

That's helpful, thank you!

JessiCAL

New

Postby JessiCAL » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey guys,

Can someone help me review a problem (14.4.22) from some of my LR drilling? I thought that I correctly broke down the reasoning structure and prephrased a (the) flaw, but after looking up the answer and reading explanations, I feel a bit mixed up. Please see below for my breakdown:

Conc: This company will not be training any more pilots in foreseeable future.
P (intermediate conc): there will be no shortage of personnel despite the current upswing in aviation industry.
P: We have 400 trained pilots on our waiting list (as do the other major companies) and the projected requirement is only for an additional 100 pilots.

Flaw/gap: assumes that a shortage of pilots is the only reason to train pilots (for the foreseeable future).

A few questions about my breakdown:
(1) The explanations on other forums say that the conclusion is what I have listed as the intermediate conclusion (about no shortage). Did I misidentify the conclusion here?
(2) I know that we must accept premises as being true. What about intermediate conclusions? Must we accept those as true also since they are used to support another conclusion?

I ended up picking the wrong answer, and I'm wondering if it's because I broke down the stimulus incorrectly or simply for some other reason.

TIA for your help!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:51 pm

175 on PT 59 that I took on a whim today! would be thrilled to actually knock out this score on test day. Only weird part was that my worst section was reading comprehension which I'm fairly sure has never happened before, usually my best section. I'll take it though!

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:175 on PT 59 that I took on a whim today! would be thrilled to actually knock out this score on test day. Only weird part was that my worst section was reading comprehension which I'm fairly sure has never happened before, usually my best section. I'll take it though!

Killin it! Now if you don't mind sharing, how have you been practicing? :D

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 pm

maybeman wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:175 on PT 59 that I took on a whim today! would be thrilled to actually knock out this score on test day. Only weird part was that my worst section was reading comprehension which I'm fairly sure has never happened before, usually my best section. I'll take it though!

:roll: :D like you need any help! but logic games killed me in september (completely bombed the last game) so i have been mostly drilling lg sections and then watching the 7sage videos to make sure my setup and assumptions are as solid as they can be in case of another weird game and to improve time on easier games. in the last week or two adding in other sections for drilling to stay sharp and have been doing at least one full lenth pt on the weekends.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
maybeman wrote:

:roll: :D like you need any help! but logic games killed me in september (completely bombed the last game) so i have been mostly drilling lg sections and then watching the 7sage videos to make sure my setup and assumptions are as solid as they can be in case of another weird game and to improve time on easier games. in the last week or two adding in other sections for drilling to stay sharp and have been doing at least one full lenth pt on the weekends.

Haha sounds like a solid plan! I feel you on the new weird games. Getting extra time from flying through the three normal games is definitely the best strategy

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Got a 175 on PT 76 yesterday! After my 174 on PT 77 last week, I'm feeling pumped. Went -0 on LG on both tests :D :D hoping and praying I can pull off a score like that on test day!

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 pm

I have been hitting my target score in PT land for the last few weeks. I am hoping to see the same success on test day. Fingers crossed!

Anyone else just ready to get it over with (AKA ready to burn all their materials in a bonfire)? I'm slightly nervous and oddly excited. Eeeeeek!

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Hoping to get some advice from y'all - especially the retakers. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to take it, and that with enough time I'll be more than set for the June administration. Is sitting for February worth it at all? I can withdraw it, take it and then cancel, or take it and keep the score. Just can't decide which of the three to do because this isn't a score I care much about at all.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
ready to burn all their materials in a bonfire

+1

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 pm

178 on the first fresh PT in a long time! Although the LG and LR seemed abnormally easy (which explains the -9 scale)

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:11 pm

clueless801 wrote:Hoping to get some advice from y'all - especially the retakers. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to take it, and that with enough time I'll be more than set for the June administration. Is sitting for February worth it at all? I can withdraw it, take it and then cancel, or take it and keep the score. Just can't decide which of the three to do because this isn't a score I care much about at all.

Hard to say, since you've already paid for the test. I would say there's no point in sitting for it, but at the same time, if you already paid for it, why not? If you are someone who struggles with test anxiety it might be a good exercise to see how it affects you on test day. Even I, as someone who does not have test anxiety, felt a little more pressure on test day than during any of my timed PTs prior to the test. Now that I know what to expect, though, I think my retake will be less stressful.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 pm

clueless801 wrote:Hoping to get some advice from y'all - especially the retakers. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to take it, and that with enough time I'll be more than set for the June administration. Is sitting for February worth it at all? I can withdraw it, take it and then cancel, or take it and keep the score. Just can't decide which of the three to do because this isn't a score I care much about at all.

If you already dropped the money I don't see the harm in taking it. Consider it part of your preparation for June.

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:29 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:04 pm

if i have 180 posts by feb 4th, I'm assuming there's a 100% chance i get a 180.

also, this thread needs polls. These feckless mods never responded to my request to OP. My polls would be tremendous

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 pm

maybeman wrote:if i have 180 posts by feb 4th, I'm assuming there's a 100% chance i get a 180.

also, this thread needs polls. These feckless mods never responded to my request to OP. My polls would be tremendous

Make Feb 2017 LSAT Thread Great Again.

you can OP the waiters thread that we will all be anxiously huddling in come a week from Saturday.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm in the middle (nearing the end) of a LG intensive in preparation for this test. I did a repeat of PT 73's LG section, and scored my first -1. I know it isn't the same as scoring that on the first time attempting it, but it felt great. Pretty much up until the test, I'm alternating between LG section drilling (50's-70's) and question type drilling via 7sage.

I am also creating my own LG Drill Packs with my scanner. At least for the 60's and 70's tests, I want to be able to reuse them in case I end up taking the actual test more than once, so before I take them for the first time-I'm scanning the relevant sections into PDF (not going to distribute them at all-solely for my own use).

For the other aspects of my prep, I went back through the Trainer, have been watching specific lessons from 7sage, reviewing elements of the Manhattan LR & RC books, and have Scientific American, The Economist, and The New Yorker for general reading material. That being said, I am focusing mostly on LG games since time is running low. I'm feeling pretty good about the test overall, but am anxious to get it over with.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
maybeman wrote:if i have 180 posts by feb 4th, I'm assuming there's a 100% chance i get a 180.

Make Feb 2017 LSAT Thread Great Again.

you can OP the waiters thread that we will all be anxiously huddling in come a week from Saturday.

MFGA definitely has a ring to it. We can make hats.

That sounds like a blast. Will def OP that

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:17 pm

airwrecka wrote:

Hard to say, since you've already paid for the test. I would say there's no point in sitting for it, but at the same time, if you already paid for it, why not? If you are someone who struggles with test anxiety it might be a good exercise to see how it affects you on test day. Even I, as someone who does not have test anxiety, felt a little more pressure on test day than during any of my timed PTs prior to the test. Now that I know what to expect, though, I think my retake will be less stressful.

Not entirely sure whether I have test anxiety but figured it'd be a good test run at the very least.

etramak wrote:

If you already dropped the money I don't see the harm in taking it. Consider it part of your preparation for June.

Very true - wouldn't want that $160 (I think) to go to waste.

chasima wrote:

I wasn't going to take the June LSAT. I'm glad I did and did find the experience very beneficial. However, I would keep in mind that it's not disclosed, so that means you would only get a score back and not have any idea how you did on each section. Might be something to think about if that's something you would use to prepare for June. And retaking in September is really not bad timing at all, so you've really got 3 opportunities to apply early for next cycle, still.

Do you know whether they tell us the scores per section? I'd be okay with just that. Also, yup, I definitely want to get in all my applications early to take advantage of being a splitter (hopefully) but part of me also just wants to be done with the LSAT by June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?