February 2017 LSAT Thread

chasima

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby chasima » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anon.y.mousse.

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:32 pm

airwrecka wrote: Took PT 79 (i.e. the Sept 2016 test) on Friday and got a 171. HOWEVER, I think if I had not heard so much about the virus game and how hard it supposedly was, I would have done better. I did not try as hard I could have to solve the game, and looking back I definitely could have gone -1 on or even -0 on the game if I had tried. I also had tons of time leftover on both LR and the RC sections that I should have used to check my answers more thoroughly because I definitely could have picked up more points there. The good news is that these are all really good things to take with me to future tests!

See, I sat down with that game over the weekend and felt better/worse that I still just wasn't getting it, even with as much time as I wanted to stare at it (better in the sense that at least a brain freeze wasn't the issue, it was just not getting how to draw the game board, worse in the sense that omg I don't know how to do this game). BUT went -1 on LR overall, so that is a win. Just gotta keep on it with the logic games. Watched the 7sage video on the virus game and now it clicks! Pretty confident that I can improve since I had a 170 with -7 on games *hands over face*

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote: Took PT 79 (i.e. the Sept 2016 test) on Friday and got a 171. HOWEVER, I think if I had not heard so much about the virus game and how hard it supposedly was, I would have done better. I did not try as hard I could have to solve the game, and looking back I definitely could have gone -1 on or even -0 on the game if I had tried. I also had tons of time leftover on both LR and the RC sections that I should have used to check my answers more thoroughly because I definitely could have picked up more points there. The good news is that these are all really good things to take with me to future tests!

See, I sat down with that game over the weekend and felt better/worse that I still just wasn't getting it, even with as much time as I wanted to stare at it (better in the sense that at least a brain freeze wasn't the issue, it was just not getting how to draw the game board, worse in the sense that omg I don't know how to do this game). BUT went -1 on LR overall, so that is a win. Just gotta keep on it with the logic games. Watched the 7sage video on the virus game and now it clicks! Pretty confident that I can improve since I had a 170 with -7 on games *hands over face*

I'd say that's a really good sign!! -1 on LR overall is awesome. Hoping I can get there soon :D

Anon.y.mousse.

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

I'd say that's a really good sign!! -1 on LR overall is awesome. Hoping I can get there soon :D

I'm sure you can! Like you said, all good things to take with you to future tests!

etramak

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Good PT this morning - -4 overall. Missed two pretty hard LR questions and two RC, both because I completely misunderstood a single paragraph which is annoying but I'd sign up for -2 RC on test day in a second.

Tomthecat wrote:Does anybody know when the December 2016 test (PT80) will be released?

I'd love to know this as well. If anyone is subscribed to an LSAT prep service...maybe they would know?

gopack24377

Postby gopack24377 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Long time lurker. Planning on February take.
Snagged my first 170 on PT 64. Had been previously stuck around 165. A little less happy when I saw 7sage rated the LR on PT 64 easy, because it went really well.

chasima

Postby chasima » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 pm

<3

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Just went -0 on a LR section. Which, surprisingly, is the first time I think I've done so! I sat down and said "I know I am capable of going -0 on LR. Let's do this." I took my time (did not time the section because I almost always finish LR with 5 minutes or more to spare) and made sure to thoroughly think through every question so I knew why each of other four answers were wrong and mine was right. It paid off! I think I'm going to do a bunch more LR sections this way and eventually go back to timing them to see if I can keep the accuracy up while also trying to be speedy.

gopack24377 wrote:Long time lurker. Planning on February take.
Snagged my first 170 on PT 64. Had been previously stuck around 165. A little less happy when I saw 7sage rated the LR on PT 64 easy, because it went really well.

You should still be proud! Congrats! :)

maybeman

Postby maybeman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:57 pm

airwrecka wrote:So as I'm sure you're all aware, tomorrow is the deadline to submit a new registration photo to LSAC for the test. My photo from when I took the June exam is still in my file, so I wasn't planning to change it. However, I recently cut my hair (very significantly--my hair was more than half way down my back before and now it's shorter than shoulder-length). Do you think I should upload a new photo with short hair? Or will it be fine to leave it? If it makes a difference, I will be bringing my passport as ID and in my passport photo, my hair is short (the way it is now). Am I worrying too much about this?

I think you'll be totally fine. If it's making you worry though, change it. No need for added stress

AMcJV12

Postby AMcJV12 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Wow, I'm so happy to hear that AR isn't just hard for me! Everyone in my old prep class got it super easy and I was left in the dust.

I'm confident we can all do well, guys. I know it hurts my curve but I'm rooting for us all!

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just went -0 on a LR section. Which, surprisingly, is the first time I think I've done so! I sat down and said "I know I am capable of going -0 on LR. Let's do this." I took my time (did not time the section because I almost always finish LR with 5 minutes or more to spare) and made sure to thoroughly think through every question so I knew why each of other four answers were wrong and mine was right. It paid off! I think I'm going to do a bunch more LR sections this way and eventually go back to timing them to see if I can keep the accuracy up while also trying to be speedy.

to add on to this comment, I just did the other LR section from this test (PT 58) and went -0 again! man, I'm feeling a confidence boost :D it's crazy how much being confident you are 100% capable of finding the correct answers can affect outcomes.

maybeman wrote:
airwrecka wrote:So as I'm sure you're all aware, tomorrow is the deadline to submit a new registration photo to LSAC for the test. My photo from when I took the June exam is still in my file, so I wasn't planning to change it. However, I recently cut my hair (very significantly--my hair was more than half way down my back before and now it's shorter than shoulder-length). Do you think I should upload a new photo with short hair? Or will it be fine to leave it? If it makes a difference, I will be bringing my passport as ID and in my passport photo, my hair is short (the way it is now). Am I worrying too much about this?

I think you'll be totally fine. If it's making you worry though, change it. No need for added stress

thanks!

gopack24377

Postby gopack24377 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 am

etramak wrote:Good PT this morning - -4 overall. Missed two pretty hard LR questions and two RC, both because I completely misunderstood a single paragraph which is annoying but I'd sign up for -2 RC on test day in a second.

Tomthecat wrote:Does anybody know when the December 2016 test (PT80) will be released?

I'd love to know this as well. If anyone is subscribed to an LSAT prep service...maybe they would know?

Teach me your ways on RC, I scored a 170 on my last PT with -7 on RC. Really need to fix that section to be solidly up there on test day. Consistently go -5 at the best -8 at the worst. I have no idea how people can do so well, the answer choices seem so similar

etramak

Postby etramak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 am

gopack24377 wrote:
etramak wrote:Good PT this morning - -4 overall. Missed two pretty hard LR questions and two RC, both because I completely misunderstood a single paragraph which is annoying but I'd sign up for -2 RC on test day in a second.

Teach me your ways on RC, I scored a 170 on my last PT with -7 on RC. Really need to fix that section to be solidly up there on test day. Consistently go -5 at the best -8 at the worst. I have no idea how people can do so well, the answer choices seem so similar

I wish I could. I started off getting -6 to -4 on RC (still the occasional -4). I've been practicing RC for about a year now. Only advice I could give is repetition and to not rush through the passages for the sake of time. If I stay calm and take a little more than 3 and a half minutes to read a difficult passage its usually worth it because I understand the passage better and answer the questions much more quickly

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 am

gopack24377 wrote:

You weren't asking me, but I typically do -2 or better on RC so I'll chime in. Granted, RC has never been difficult for me because my major was very dense-reading-material-intensive, and my entire life I've been a reader, so I read fast and absorb quickly. That being said, I ALWAYS go back and compare answer choices with the text if I'm not sure between two answers. I've noticed that in RC, a lot of the times the answer is hidden within information that seems to be irrelevant to the main point. Look very carefully at word choices, just like you would in LR, and be wary of "always," "never," etc. And finally, like almost all LSAT questions, if you can't figure out which answer sounds correct, figure out why four answers are WRONG. There will always be something in a wrong answer choice that makes it clearly wrong. It will often be tricky or hidden, but it will always be there. Which brings me back to my point about paying attention to word choice.

chasima

Postby chasima » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm

<3

chasima

Postby chasima » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

<3

etramak

Postby etramak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Good day drilling today but I was very tired and had trouble focusing, despite 7.5 hours of sleep. Only reason I did well was because I was familiar with the material.

chasima wrote:25 Days, people!
In unrelated news, the Knicks lost at the game I went to last night :cry:

Where are you taking the lsat? Brooklyn College here

chasima

Postby chasima » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm

<3

etramak

Postby etramak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

chasima wrote:
etramak wrote:Good day drilling today but I was very tired and had trouble focusing, despite 7.5 hours of sleep. Only reason I did well was because I was familiar with the material.

chasima wrote:25 Days, people!
In unrelated news, the Knicks lost at the game I went to last night :cry:

Where are you taking the lsat? Brooklyn College here

CUNY! Do you know what the facilities are like at the Brooklyn College location?

No clue. I took it at Touro last time

chasima

Postby chasima » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:07 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

chasima

Postby chasima » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm

<3

clueless801

Postby clueless801 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Had to push myself to not postpone Feb to June. I've been doing poorly in LR - as in, I feel like I've been doing worse but I want to attribute that to the ungodly amount of stress this has caused me. In my head, I'm thinking it's best I get it done at least once so it's not as scary as I'm making it out to be, and then really, really prep for June. I've been getting -0s/-1s in LG and RC so I'd like to think that me getting -10+s in each LR section is abnormal?

chasima

Postby chasima » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 am

<3

chasima

Postby chasima » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:13 am

<3

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:39 pm

chasima wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Had to push myself to not postpone Feb to June. I've been doing poorly in LR - as in, I feel like I've been doing worse but I want to attribute that to the ungodly amount of stress this has caused me. In my head, I'm thinking it's best I get it done at least once so it's not as scary as I'm making it out to be, and then really, really prep for June. I've been getting -0s/-1s in LG and RC so I'd like to think that me getting -10+s in each LR section is abnormal?

I definitely notice a huge difference in my performance on LR depending on how stressed out I am at the time. I think your mindset definitely affects your ability to quickly process info., so that might be it! Also, you can always withdraw up until the last second if you feel you're not ready for the exam.. I know I did that several times until I finally took it last June.

+1 I agree with this 100%!

Ugh I just want to study and drill at work today but my boss just gave me a bunch of tedious work to do -__- (clearly I'm making wise choices by posting on TLS instead of finishing it quickly)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”