February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
34iplaw

Gold

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:21 pm

CMac86 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Anam,

I mean this most lovingly. If you are finishing LR sections, a native speaker, and getting that many wrong, I don't think your basics are as strong as you think. You can hone in to see if it's a specific question type or across the board. If it's a specific type, you should try to analyze why wrong answers are wrong. That's what really helps you when you are down to two A/Cs and one doesn't speak to you.

Cmac, solid LR and RC...I presume you ran out of time on section two or felt rushed? You have the possibility for a really good score - gotta work on Games tho.

Pretty much. I started to run low on time for section two, and had a few in the middle that I spent far too much time on. Agreed on games. My best games section was -4. I'm in the process of fool proofing all of the available games. I'm hoping that as I continue with that, my LG score increases. For RC, in addition to the 7sage curriculum, I've been reading The New Yorker and The Economist regularly. I'm looking for a law related magazine that I could read to give me more familiarity/comfort with those questions.

A good thing to be in the habit of with LR is realize when you are spinning your wheels. For me, I typically just move on if it doesn't click on the second read through... mark that I want to come back to it and my best guess. Typically, we can eliminate a few answers pretty confidently, so we never guess blindly. It's better to only have a 30% shot of getting that question right than not having time to get a question at all...especially as one gets better, you will find that half of the 20-25 questions aren't really all that hard for you...so missing them is detrimental.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Just took my third ever PT, with several months in between this one and the last one. Scored 11 points higher than my diagnostic, omg.

PT #63
165 timed, 172 (!) blind review
LR -5
LG -1
LR -5
RC -6

The big score jump is largely due to me finally being able to get logic games done on time -- I was scoring perfect on blind review, just couldn't quite get time under my belt before. But I've also had some improvements in LR and RC. Still work to do, but boy do I feel a lot better about where I am!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Walliums wrote:Just took my third ever PT, with several months in between this one and the last one. Scored 11 points higher than my diagnostic, omg.

PT #63
LR -5
LG -1
LR -5
RC -6

The big score jump is largely due to me finally being able to get logic games done on time -- I was scoring perfect on blind review, just couldn't quite get time under my belt before. But I've also had some improvements in LR and RC. Still work to do, but boy do I feel a lot better about where I am!

Awesome! Congrats :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Walliums wrote:Just took my third ever PT, with several months in between this one and the last one. Scored 11 points higher than my diagnostic, omg.

PT #63
LR -5
LG -1
LR -5
RC -6

Way to go!

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:29 am

Broke through low 170's/upper 160s plateau to 175, 174 on the last two PTs. Feeling more confident abut this test, though certain games are still crushing my timing

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:13 am

What does it mean when an answer choice says something like "the argument presupposes what it sets out to demonstrate." I've seen numerous questions with an answer choice along those lines but I've never fully understood what it meant. #7 on PT12-S4 is an example.

LionSquall

New

Postby LionSquall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:47 am

Last edited by LionSquall on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tazewell

Bronze

Postby Tazewell » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:16 am

blackmamba8 wrote:What does it mean when an answer choice says something like "the argument presupposes what it sets out to demonstrate." I've seen numerous questions with an answer choice along those lines but I've never fully understood what it meant. #7 on PT12-S4 is an example.

That's circular reasoning and it looks like, "X is true because of Y and Y is true because of X. I tried to find an example, but that all seemed kind of dumb, but basically the conclusion just restates the premise.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:27 pm

LionSquall wrote:Hey guys!

So I have a question. Is anyone here planning to take the February 2017 LSAT to apply for the Fall 2017? Is doing this even worth it considering if someone's planning to apply for the t-14/top 25? I know some of them won't even accept February LSAT's but I wonder if for those that do if it'll even be worth it to do it?

I'm scheduled to take the December LSAT in a couple of days but I haven't really been able to study much given the heavy course load this semester + work. So I was thinking about taking the February one instead but not sure if is even worth it considering I'll like to enter a Top 25 Law School and I've read that it is definitely not recommended to do so with a Feb LSAT. Ohh and skipping a year and applying for 2018 is definitely not an option for me.

So what would you guys recommend, take the December LSAT even though I'm not close to 100% ready for it but at least I can give it a shot to apply to the school's that I'm interested in and possibly do well, or take the February LSAT which I would have more time to study and be at my 100% which would definitely result in a higher score than the December test BUT will also result in me being in a huge disadvantage applying that late and I would also not even be able to apply to some of the top 25, and therefore not sure if is even worth considering.

I will appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks.

Hey there! I am in a similar scenario. I sat for the Sept 2016. I am retaking in Feb 17, but I am looking to enter LS in Fall 17 as well. I'm going to apply with my Sept score to schools whose deadlines are before March (which is when I would most likely get my Feb score back). I read on some blogs (think it was MS9 Consulting) how last year - Harvard decided to accept Feb LSAT scores because they weren't too crazy about the applicant pool. Fingers crossed that this happens again! I just figured I'd email these schools who are stingy about the LSAT and ask them if the rule is malleable because the worst thing they could say is UM, NO!! Anyways, if you find out anything - please PM me. Best of luck!

ms9

Gold

Postby ms9 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:17 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
LionSquall wrote:Hey guys!

So I have a question. Is anyone here planning to take the February 2017 LSAT to apply for the Fall 2017? Is doing this even worth it considering if someone's planning to apply for the t-14/top 25? I know some of them won't even accept February LSAT's but I wonder if for those that do if it'll even be worth it to do it?

I'm scheduled to take the December LSAT in a couple of days but I haven't really been able to study much given the heavy course load this semester + work. So I was thinking about taking the February one instead but not sure if is even worth it considering I'll like to enter a Top 25 Law School and I've read that it is definitely not recommended to do so with a Feb LSAT. Ohh and skipping a year and applying for 2018 is definitely not an option for me.

So what would you guys recommend, take the December LSAT even though I'm not close to 100% ready for it but at least I can give it a shot to apply to the school's that I'm interested in and possibly do well, or take the February LSAT which I would have more time to study and be at my 100% which would definitely result in a higher score than the December test BUT will also result in me being in a huge disadvantage applying that late and I would also not even be able to apply to some of the top 25, and therefore not sure if is even worth considering.

I will appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks.

Hey there! I am in a similar scenario. I sat for the Sept 2016. I am retaking in Feb 17, but I am looking to enter LS in Fall 17 as well. I'm going to apply with my Sept score to schools whose deadlines are before March (which is when I would most likely get my Feb score back). I read on some blogs (think it was MS9 Consulting) how last year - Harvard decided to accept Feb LSAT scores because they weren't too crazy about the applicant pool. Fingers crossed that this happens again! I just figured I'd email these schools who are stingy about the LSAT and ask them if the rule is malleable because the worst thing they could say is UM, NO!! Anyways, if you find out anything - please PM me. Best of luck!

Well, for the record we would never say something like that publicly even if it were true -- and we certainly didn't hear anything like that! Schools will almost always make room for strong candidates, though, it is something I have seen in 17 years of doing that with very little exceptions. I hope this helps looking forward to this cycle!

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:32 pm

If I registered for the Feb. LSAT, would it put my current applications on hold?

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:08 pm

So I'm officially joining, I was registered for December but decided I wasn't ready as I literally just completed the 7Sage curriculum with Cambridge 1-38.

Today, I took the second of 2 PTs lol. It was PT 78, I've only also taken 79. I noticed on both tests that there were several evaluate questions.

78 had 3 in total. So my question is how does on approach them? I didn't know what to do exactly :/

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Took PT 37, BR'd immediately after.

I felt brain fried before I started this test. Sunday is my day to finish up whatever homework i have left for the week, and I slacked off this week due to the holiday (and laziness).

I completed the PT about two hours after finishing up homework (around 2PM today), and then did the BR.

Results
First Try, in test section order: RC -9/+17, LR1: -4/+22, LG: -4/+20 (barely made time), LR2: -4/+21, raw 80, adjusted 162
BR: RC: -4/+22, LR1: -2/+24, LG: -2/+22, LR2: -3/+22. raw 90, adjusted 170.

I finished each section, except for LG in under 30mins. I made an effort this time around to not linger on any one question for too long. Since I knew that I would be BR'ing this test, I didn't go back at the end to check the answers I wasn't 100% sure of. I think if I would have done that, there would have been less disparity between the first attempt scores and the BR scores.

I did better than I expected at logic games on both tries and subsequently, it was the best LG PT section I have ever completed. It kept feeling like when I would verify that I wrote out the rules correctly, I would catch one little aspect that broke the game open for me. I made too many stupid mistakes on the RC section on my first attempt. There were things on the BR where I was asking myself how I originally thought one answer was correct.

Lessons learned: I still have a lot of progress to make. My LR scores are starting to get to my target range (-2/section), LG seems to be responding to drilling pretty well. It feels like the more I do a variety of game types, even if it is just making the diagrams, the more the info sticks in my head, and I can more readily make the connection to whatever game is in front of me. RC is slowly improving but seems to be impacted pretty heavily by how with it I feel going into the test.

Plan for this week: continue to drill LR, hit the LR question types that I miss most, and keep reading. Based on of my current work schedule, I'm shooting to do 2-3 PT's this week (probably Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday) with drilling Monday and Tuesday, and then BR on Thursday and Saturday. Additionally, I need to stop putting off homework until the weekend. Look ahead to January/next semester, I have the option of not starting class again until January 30th, but that would mean I would have about two weeks in March where I will be in four classes at once. I feel like having Dec 16th-Jan 30th with very little outside of work to do would be beneficial to getting the score that I want.

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Has anyone here taken the test with accommodations before? Wondering what to expect. Looks like mine will be 6+ hours with breaks.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Took a week off. Back to the grind!

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:07 pm

harveybirdman502 wrote:Has anyone here taken the test with accommodations before? Wondering what to expect. Looks like mine will be 6+ hours with breaks.

Breaks... with a plural? You'll get more than one? :shock:

anam

New

Postby anam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi,

Yes, i have identified certain question types that i miss on a regular basis. My focus will be on improving on those question types. Another problem that I have identified is that I have a habit of reading very quickly often skipping certain words or phrases to try to get to the main point. While this works in reading books or novels, this habit is detrimental to lsat prep where every word matters. So, besides working on my weak areas I am also going to work on my reading habit taking in every word without skipping anything.
Thanks for your input!

Just curious are you studying ip law, assuming from your user name? I, too, am thinking about pursuing ip or patent law.

I mean this most lovingly. If you are finishing LR sections, a native speaker, and getting that many wrong, I don't think your basics are as strong as you think. You can hone in to see if it's a specific question type or across the board. If it's a specific type, you should try to analyze why wrong answers are wrong. That's what really helps you when you are down to two A/Cs and one doesn't speak to you.

Cmac, solid LR and RC...I presume you ran out of time on section two or felt rushed? You have the possibility for a really good score - gotta work on Games tho.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:12 pm

anam wrote:Hi,

Yes, i have identified certain question types that i miss on a regular basis. My focus will be on improving on those question types. Another problem that I have identified is that I have a habit of reading very quickly often skipping certain words or phrases to try to get to the main point. While this works in reading books or novels, this habit is detrimental to lsat prep where every word matters. So, besides working on my weak areas I am also going to work on my reading habit taking in every word without skipping anything.
Thanks for your input!

Just curious are you studying ip law, assuming from your user name? I, too, am thinking about pursuing ip or patent law.

Ok - that's awesome! I hope what I said didn't come across as mean or harsh. I just try to be direct these days. Haha, no I am not. I imagine that I would find it interesting, but I think that, given my background in CRE, I will probably go down that route. It's just a random mixing of my initials and a random number.

anam

New

Postby anam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Not at all, I really appreciate your honest opinion. The way to improve on lsat is to be honest about your weakness/mistakes and work on them. oh ok lol. Good luck on your lsat!

34iplaw wrote:
anam wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your input!

Ok - that's awesome! I hope what I said didn't come across as mean or harsh. I just try to be direct these days. Haha, no I am not. I imagine that I would find it interesting, but I think that, given my background in CRE, I will probably go down that route. It's just a random mixing of my initials and a random number.

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 pm

potus wrote:
harveybirdman502 wrote:Has anyone here taken the test with accommodations before? Wondering what to expect. Looks like mine will be 6+ hours with breaks.

Breaks... with a plural? You'll get more than one? :shock:

10 min. for each section. In retrospect I probably should've requested 5 but my doctor and I agreed 10 was better. Got seriously lucky. Going to take advantage of it as much as possible.

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:39 am

Currently following the LSAT trainer. Not feeling too comfortable with the concept of reading the question stem before reading the stimulus. Anyone have any input on this?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:10 am

lgsb2014 wrote:Currently following the LSAT trainer. Not feeling too comfortable with the concept of reading the question stem before reading the stimulus. Anyone have any input on this?

Making the switch from stim first to stem first per The Trainer's recommendation paid off in droves for me. Not sure that holds universally, though. Try it out and do what works best for you.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:17 am

lgsb2014 wrote:Currently following the LSAT trainer. Not feeling too comfortable with the concept of reading the question stem before reading the stimulus. Anyone have any input on this?

It's a great strategy, imo. When you read the stem first you know what to look for when you read the stimulus.

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:

It's a great strategy, imo. When you read the stem first you know what to look for when you read the stimulus.

I concur. There's a debate about this in the December thread rn. I think it all comes down to how well you can contain the stimulus before and while reading the stem. I have difficulty with this so it helps me to see the question first and know what I'm looking for as you said.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

harveybirdman502 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

I concur. There's a debate about this in the December thread rn. I think it all comes down to how well you can contain the stimulus before and while reading the stem. I have difficulty with this so it helps me to see the question first and know what I'm looking for as you said.

Same for me. When I would do stimulus first I always ended up having to read through it again a second time after reading the stem because I couldn't remember enough. With stem first I typically only have to read through once which saves me some time. Harveybirdman, there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Try both out and see which one works better for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?