February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:Fat? Bro, I'm cultivating mass.

Also I'm almost done with LSAT trainer week 2 and I'm
going to add one RC drill and one LG drill today.

haha! :lol:

are you following the study guide?

Yeah, I did all the bibles and this isn't my first time around the block. I regret not doing the Trainer for my first take.

Cool! I've been thinking about doing The Trainer w/ a prep schedule to follow from the website. How are you finding it?

Please stay, Obama..

:) Oh I wish it could be so... I might have to change my name to something after the Trump Inauguration... I'll probably just make it Alex, my real name, lmao. You've inspired me "Mikey" :mrgreen:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote::) Oh I wish it could be so... I might have to change my name to something after the Trump Inauguration... I'll probably just make it Alex, my real name, lmao. You've inspired me "Mikey" :mrgreen:

ayyy :mrgreen:

Yeah, you just have to look it up to make sure it's not already taken and if it's not taken, just message a mod :D

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote::) Oh I wish it could be so... I might have to change my name to something after the Trump Inauguration... I'll probably just make it Alex, my real name, lmao. You've inspired me "Mikey" :mrgreen:

Yeah, you just have to look it up to make sure it's not already taken and if it's not taken, just message a mod :D

Alrighty! Sounds like a plan :) I will also be needing a new tar..... hmmm :?: :wink:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Alrighty! Sounds like a plan :) I will also be needing a new tar..... hmmm :?: :wink:

we gotta work on getting you a dank avi

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Damnit! There is already an "Alex" from 2006. Bastard. I guess I can always do "TheAlex" or something to that effect. And I will need a dank avi. That is most important

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Damnit! There is already an "Alex" from 2006. Bastard. I guess I can always do "TheAlex" or something to that effect. And I will need a dank avi. That is most important

The squad 8)

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:

The squad 8)

haha squad 8) 8)

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:27 am

Did PT71 last night. It was my first PT since October 16th.

LR1: -1
LG: -0
LR2: -3
RC: -5

174. I haven't done much for LR the past few weeks besides 7sage's lessons for it because I've been focusing a lot of time on games. I still felt pretty sharp on the two LR sections so I don't think neglecting it has hurt me too much. RC continues to screw me. I'm going to be drilling it relentlessly until February comes.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Covering MP Q's on LR. My confidence is starting to boost

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:57 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just checking in to say I'll be taking the Feb test, too! I took the June 2016 test and scored 170 after using the LSAT Trainer for about 3 months, and while I know 170 is great, I'm looking to gain 3+ points for scholarship help.

Yesterday was the first day I had thought about the LSAT since I took the June test, and I was pleased to see that I was able to complete two games sections without any errors! RC on the other hand went much less smoothly (surprising, since I consider that my best section). Oh well--I've still got 3 months to go!

Curious, what was your diagnostic?

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Walliums wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Just checking in to say I'll be taking the Feb test, too! I took the June 2016 test and scored 170 after using the LSAT Trainer for about 3 months, and while I know 170 is great, I'm looking to gain 3+ points for scholarship help.

Yesterday was the first day I had thought about the LSAT since I took the June test, and I was pleased to see that I was able to complete two games sections without any errors! RC on the other hand went much less smoothly (surprising, since I consider that my best section). Oh well--I've still got 3 months to go!

Curious, what was your diagnostic?

I'm assuming your asking from before I started studying for the June test? I didn't take a diagnostic right away, but a few weeks into studying I took a practice exam under exam conditions through Kaplan and got a 167. So I guess that's what you could call my diagnostic.

goblue18

New

Postby goblue18 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Checking to see if anyone is utilizing the Trainer for prep? I took in June and scored a 154, which was well below my PT average. Hoping to refresh with the LSAT trainer and also take a PrepTest or two a week to supplement the Trainer itself.

Happy to chat and become study buddies with anyone else walking through the Trainer.

Good luck all!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm

goblue18 wrote:Checking to see if anyone is utilizing the Trainer for prep? I took in June and scored a 154, which was well below my PT average. Hoping to refresh with the LSAT trainer and also take a PrepTest or two a week to supplement the Trainer itself.

Happy to chat and become study buddies with anyone else walking through the Trainer.

Good luck all!

I used the Trainer to study for my first test (also June), so I will be using it again for my Feb retake, but I won't be going as thoroughly through it because obviously I've already done it all already! feel free to PM me if you want to chat more, though :)

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Update from me.

I have reached the point in my 7sage schedule where I will be starting to take PT's again. I need to check my weekend schedule, but I think I'll be taking the PT on Saturday. I'm shooting to replicate test-day conditions as much as possible, so I'll be hitting a library or taking it in the lounge at work bright and early at 0800. The plan is to complete the test outside of my home, but come home to BR it. Once I have finished BR'ing the test, I'll grade both versions. I'll post the results of the test, the BR, and compare them to the test I took a week into 7sage (twas a week into 7sage and after a few weeks off from studying).

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:35 pm

You know you're in too deep when you're looking forward to Thanksgiving break because you'll have a week free from classes to devote almost entirely to LSAT prep :mrgreen:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:46 am

blackmamba8 wrote:You know you're in too deep when you're looking forward to Thanksgiving break because you'll have a week free from classes to devote almost entirely to LSAT prep :mrgreen:

A week??? I only get 2 days off..

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Mikey wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:You know you're in too deep when you're looking forward to Thanksgiving break because you'll have a week free from classes to devote almost entirely to LSAT prep :mrgreen:

Damn, that sucks. My high school was like that too. Do a lot of kids just stay at school instead of going home for break then?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:44 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Damn, that sucks. My high school was like that too. Do a lot of kids just stay at school instead of going home for break then?

I go to a mainly commuter college. We have dorms but only like slightly less than 5% of students lives in them, and the rest commute. I only know 1 person who dorms here and she her parents live in long island so she just goes home since it's not far.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:44 pm

CMac86 wrote:Update from me.

I have reached the point in my 7sage schedule where I will be starting to take PT's again. I need to check my weekend schedule, but I think I'll be taking the PT on Saturday. I'm shooting to replicate test-day conditions as much as possible, so I'll be hitting a library or taking it in the lounge at work bright and early at 0800. The plan is to complete the test outside of my home, but come home to BR it. Once I have finished BR'ing the test, I'll grade both versions. I'll post the results of the test, the BR, and compare them to the test I took a week into 7sage (twas a week into 7sage and after a few weeks off from studying).

what is BR? :oops: still trying to catch on to all the lingo used on these forums...

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:58 pm

airwrecka wrote:

what is BR? :oops: still trying to catch on to all the lingo used on these forums...

Blind Review!! Took me a few minutes but its the 7Sage method of revision, where you mark the ones you weren't sure about and go back and try it again before checking the answers. I think the idea is for the test-taker to actively recognize where their problem areas may be because this might not be as obvious as doing a regular review later. I guess CMac could expand more on this since they're doing it.

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:22 am

airwrecka wrote:

Here's a link to the youtube explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCNtfLVgZM

To break it down, at least to my understanding, when you're completing the questions you circle any question you aren't 100% sure of your answer choice. Once you have completed the rest of the questions, you go back through to the ones that you circled, and then take however much time you need to break down the question and answer choices until you have four clear wrong answers and one clear correct answer. If you get those correct, great. If not, watch the question explanation video to see where the breakdown occurred. At that point, I would notate that I missed the question in a spreadsheet and use it for drilling.

According to 7sage, this is a great way to help isolate issues in how you complete the test and forces you to work out the problems more thoroughly than you might be able to during a timed test.

I think the extra time and effort will be worth it. I find out in about two weeks if my time off request is approved to take the Feb test, if it isn't, I'm going to try for at least one of the other tests in 2017. I know that I will be a splitter, so I need every point I can get.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:49 am

CMac86 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Here's a link to the youtube explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCNtfLVgZM

To break it down, at least to my understanding, when you're completing the questions you circle any question you aren't 100% sure of your answer choice. Once you have completed the rest of the questions, you go back through to the ones that you circled, and then take however much time you need to break down the question and answer choices until you have four clear wrong answers and one clear correct answer. If you get those correct, great. If not, watch the question explanation video to see where the breakdown occurred. At that point, I would notate that I missed the question in a spreadsheet and use it for drilling.

According to 7sage, this is a great way to help isolate issues in how you complete the test and forces you to work out the problems more thoroughly than you might be able to during a timed test.

I think the extra time and effort will be worth it. I find out in about two weeks if my time off request is approved to take the Feb test, if it isn't, I'm going to try for at least one of the other tests in 2017. I know that I will be a splitter, so I need every point I can get.

OH, I see! Thanks so much for the explanation. That seems like a really great strategy that I'll have to try!

And good luck with the time-off in Feb :)

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:31 am

airwrecka wrote:OH, I see! Thanks so much for the explanation. That seems like a really great strategy that I'll have to try!

And good luck with the time-off in Feb :)

Thanks. They're supposed to let me know the first week of December. There is a trickle down effect on if it is approved or not. If it is approved, I'm going to back load my classes that term (my school does four 8-week sessions per term), so I'll only be taking one class while studying for the LSAT and learning new songs for work, yet I would be in three classes starting the month after (right as work starts touring). If it isn't approved, I'll stick to two classes at a time, and will spread out my practice tests quite a bit more.

I'm not sure if I posted this part yet, but I started reading the New Yorker and the Economist. The subscriptions weren't too expensive. I picked up the New Yorker from Amazon and then it was cheaper to get the Economist through their own website. So, if I'm not actively studying for the LSAT (7sage, drilling, etc), I'm reading one of those two magazines. It is far more convenient for me to through a magazine in my gig bag than it is to try and find wifi on gigs.

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Glad to see this thread started up. Nice to see some familiar names from the December group.

Alright, has anyone here taken one of the 7sage online courses? And which package did you go with? And how long do they take to complete?

CrisluMind

New

Postby CrisluMind » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Okay, so I don't know if you can answer this, but I started studying for the LSAT at the beginning of October, started with a very very low cold diagnostic. I have improved over 15 points, but I know I still have more. Should I wing it and take the December and February LSATs? Do two scores affect my admittance? I'm not trying to go to a tier 1 school (because lets face it, at this point I do not see myself getting above a 170 in two weeks), but I would like to get into a top 100, with a scholarship. I majored in Biology in college (3.326 major GPA, and 3.011 overall), and was going to go into biotech, but I changed my mind pretty late. Anyone have any advice on whether to take the December lsat and apply to safety schools, and then take it again in February and apply to my reach schools? I feel like my GPA can't really compare because science and math courses are holding me back from where I could have actually been. I also feel like my GPA is not a good indication of the type of law student that I would be, because the fields are very different.

My two reach schools that I love said they take the highest of the two LSAT scores, but currently my practice test's scores have been *all over the place*, there is no consistency yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Oh, also I would really like to start law school in Fall of 2017. I want to be back in school so I can start ASAP. But waiting until Fall of 2018, I suppose, isn't the end of the world. I would much rather prefer to apply in Fall 2017 though!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?