February 2017 LSAT Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:01 pm

CMac86 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Impossible to focus on Election Day.

I voted absentee, so other than being curious/anxious for the results, it is just another day to me. Bonus is that I got a half day at work, so extra study time today.

half day at work myself! yay!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Starting to get better on the MBT/MSS questions!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
O.J. wrote:I'm going to disagree, Deardevil. I've been asking around and met a lot of 170+ takers that spent exactly 3 months on study and nailed it. I spoke to an excellent Blueprint instructor too who said 3 months was completely acceptable. In fact, LSATTrainer has a 3-month program, as does Blueprint online.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but 3 months is totally do-able, from all the research I did. it's not the amount of time as much as what you do with that time and what methods you use.

Most 170s+ test takers study for longer than 3 months. The people who score 170+ after only 3 months usually had very high diagnostic scores compared to the average test taker.

Blueprint has a vested interest in convincing students a 3-month plan is the right way to go because that is their business model. Shorter classes = more students = more profit. You'll find that all the test prep companies (aside from 7Sage) try to convince students 3-4 months is optimal.

The LSAT Trainer's 3-month program is great, doubt about it. But even Mike Kim admits it isn't optimal for everyone. He also has a 4-week study guide, but I don't think anyone is going to advocate that being enough time for the average test taker.

Like Deardevil says, it is going to be contingent on the individual. For some, 3 months is enough. However, from my experience on these forums and other LSAT-oriented forums, somewhere closer to 6-9 months seems to be a good amount of time for the average test taker to hit the 170s. I've pretty much followed every cycle on here since 2012 and that seems to be the case. Every time I've spoken to someone whose hit 170+ within 3-months, it turns out their diagnostic was a 160+

The most important takeaway is that there is no "right amount" for LSAT prep that is universal. The best way is just to take it when you're confident like DearDevil says.

I agree with Barack... I think also it depends on what your commitments are during that time. 3-4 months of study with that being your only worry in the world is completely different than studying coupled with work and school.

EmelyM23

New

Postby EmelyM23 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:11 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
O.J. wrote:I'm going to disagree, Deardevil. I've been asking around and met a lot of 170+ takers that spent exactly 3 months on study and nailed it. I spoke to an excellent Blueprint instructor too who said 3 months was completely acceptable. In fact, LSATTrainer has a 3-month program, as does Blueprint online.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but 3 months is totally do-able, from all the research I did. it's not the amount of time as much as what you do with that time and what methods you use.

Most 170s+ test takers study for longer than 3 months. The people who score 170+ after only 3 months usually had very high diagnostic scores compared to the average test taker.

Blueprint has a vested interest in convincing students a 3-month plan is the right way to go because that is their business model. Shorter classes = more students = more profit. You'll find that all the test prep companies (aside from 7Sage) try to convince students 3-4 months is optimal.

The LSAT Trainer's 3-month program is great, doubt about it. But even Mike Kim admits it isn't optimal for everyone. He also has a 4-week study guide, but I don't think anyone is going to advocate that being enough time for the average test taker.

Like Deardevil says, it is going to be contingent on the individual. For some, 3 months is enough. However, from my experience on these forums and other LSAT-oriented forums, somewhere closer to 6-9 months seems to be a good amount of time for the average test taker to hit the 170s. I've pretty much followed every cycle on here since 2012 and that seems to be the case. Every time I've spoken to someone whose hit 170+ within 3-months, it turns out their diagnostic was a 160+

The most important takeaway is that there is no "right amount" for LSAT prep that is universal. The best way is just to take it when you're confident like DearDevil says.

I agree with Barack... I think also it depends on what your commitments are during that time. 3-4 months of study with that being your only worry in the world is completely different than studying coupled with work and school.

I was going to take it in February but I won't be I will be taking the JUNE test. From my understanding most deadlines are Feb-March at least for the programs I'm interested in which are Georgetown and Northwestern. I know if I studied hard enough I could do it but then there's no guarantee of scholarship or even space. I'm 23 and I have always rushed things so I do not want to rush studying for the LSAT. I find that I'm focusing on quality over quantity so I write a list of things I learned that day and review it the next day before beginning. I want to understand it which in the past I focused on hours studied as opposed the content and material :| .

I will study my books now and take a spring class depending on my scores- I think it will help further boost my grade . I have a 3.7 gpa so my LSAT target is 165+ tbh. I'm currently following the Powerscore 4month schedule with the Trainer schedule & study exactly 3 hrs 7days a week. I am done with my Masters and like I said easy job. I study at work. I think 7 months of 21 hrs a week should be sufficient for me to get a165-170 personally.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Nearly done with the MBT questions from PTs 7-28. I've started to get better on them, but feel as if the earlier tests questions I tackled were slightly tougher. I also need to stop getting distracted lol

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Going to start PT's soon. What materials shoud I have? I want to be as close to the real thing as possible. Is anything avalable to print online, or do I need to hit the store for something specific, besides #2 pencils? Thanks!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:17 pm

O.J. wrote:Going to start PT's soon. What materials shoud I have? I want to be as close to the real thing as possible. Is anything avalable to print online, or do I need to hit the store for something specific, besides #2 pencils? Thanks!

An analog watch, and maybe use the 7sage Proctor app. Beyond that, just having books of prep tests.

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Got it, thanks!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:What do y'alls study schedules look like?

Study 4 hours a day. I'm primarily focusing on LR and then doing a LG section every day.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:50 pm

PrezRand wrote:

Study 4 hours a day. I'm primarily focusing on LR and then doing a LG section every day.

Pretty much same.

4 hours a day. On Saturdays, I might do 6. I spend a lot of time on LR and try to make sure I'm constantly doing games. I probably do around 2 sections of LG per day, just constantly fool proofing ones I need work on.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:57 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 am

grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Pretty much same.

4 hours a day. On Saturdays, I might do 6. I spend a lot of time on LR and try to make sure I'm constantly doing games. I probably do around 2 sections of LG per day, just constantly fool proofing ones I need work on.

Are you running the 7sage method for reviewing games?

Yeah - I basically use 7Sage for everything, but especially games. I've found the fool proof guide to be the biggest help.

p.s. love your tar. Fat Mac was the best, lol.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:04 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Pretty much same.

Yeah - I basically use 7Sage for everything, but especially games. I've found the fool proof guide to be the biggest help.

Fat Mac is to Mac as North Korea is to Korea.

PS You keep vanishing from thread to thread - you can't run from my love.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 am

34iplaw wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Pretty much same.

Fat Mac is to Mac as North Korea is to Korea.

PS You keep vanishing from thread to thread - you can't run from my love.

haha :) I love you IP!

I know I do! I think I'll be around at least until next June .... unfortunately.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:14 am

How is everyone's studying?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:54 am

grandpapy360 wrote:Fat? Bro, I'm cultivating mass.

Also I'm almost done with LSAT trainer week 2 and I'm
going to add one RC drill and one LG drill today.

haha! :lol:

are you following the study guide?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:15 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Yeah, I did all the bibles and this isn't my first time around the block. I regret not doing the Trainer for my first take.

Cool! I've been thinking about doing The Trainer w/ a prep schedule to follow from the website. How are you finding it?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:12 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:Hey Obama, I felt like killing the page long quote.

It's good, I like that the Trainer builds and relates everything back to fundamental parts of the test. For me, I can't keep track of 12 rules for subsets of questions when I'm taking the real test. The trainer makes logic more of an instinct for me.

You can always pm me too, maybeman and I have a study group going

Nice! I will, thank you!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Yeah, I did all the bibles and this isn't my first time around the block. I regret not doing the Trainer for my first take.

Cool! I've been thinking about doing The Trainer w/ a prep schedule to follow from the website. How are you finding it?

Please stay, Obama..

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Just checking in to say I'll be taking the Feb test, too! I took the June 2016 test and scored 170 after using the LSAT Trainer for about 3 months, and while I know 170 is great, I'm looking to gain 3+ points for scholarship help.

Yesterday was the first day I had thought about the LSAT since I took the June test, and I was pleased to see that I was able to complete two games sections without any errors! RC on the other hand went much less smoothly (surprising, since I consider that my best section). Oh well--I've still got 3 months to go!

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:43 pm

1.5-2hrs before work, right about an hour during lunch, and then 3-4hrs after work if I have completed my coursework for the week, if not it is closer to 90mins.

So, on a typical non-gig day without course work requirements, 6-ish hrs per day broken down into no longer than 90min chunks. That helps balance out the days where I either oversleep, have a gig, or have more course work than normal where I am lucky to get in 2hrs per day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?