February 2017 LSAT Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Deardevil

Bronze

Re: February 2017 LSAT Thread

Post by Deardevil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Walliums wrote: Whaddup Barack! Another December here also. Trying to live the philosophy of taking the test when I'm PTing the score I want, rather than aiming for a specific test date.
Hey Walliums,

My favorite owl-poster! :)

Yeah, I realized pretty early on that December was kind of pushing it. Feb or June is looking more realistic for me. It is all going to depend on like you said the PT average being where we need it to be. I figure we came this far, no reason to mess up the last part because of hubris or impatience.

Happy to hear you are taking the same approach!
Count me in as well. :lol:

Bummer that I won't be applying as soon as I expected, but... Gotta do what it takes to get that sexy 170. :wink:

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Deardevil wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Walliums wrote: Whaddup Barack! Another December here also. Trying to live the philosophy of taking the test when I'm PTing the score I want, rather than aiming for a specific test date.
Hey Walliums,

Yeah, I realized pretty early on that December was kind of pushing it. Feb or June is looking more realistic for me. It is all going to depend on like you said the PT average being where we need it to be. I figure we came this far, no reason to mess up the last part because of hubris or impatience.

Bummer that I won't be applying as soon as I expected, but... Gotta do what it takes to get that sexy 170. :wink:
Happy to hear it, deardevil!

I mean we work so hard to get great GPAs we owe it to ourselves to keep going until we get that 170+ And I am really against the school of thought that thinks you should sit before you are ready to get a feel for the test... I'd hate to waste a take. I'm planning on Feb or June with Sept/Dec as backup. Too bad I won't be able apply this cycle though...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Deardevil wrote: Count me in as well. :lol:

Already stoked to see your post about that #sweet 180 come Feb/June

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Deardevil wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Hey Walliums,

Happy to hear it, deardevil!

I mean we work so hard to get great GPAs we owe it to ourselves to keep going until we get that 170+ And I am really against the school of thought that thinks you should sit before you are ready to get a feel for the test... I'd hate to waste a take. I'm planning on Feb or June with Sept/Dec as backup. Too bad I won't be able apply this cycle though...
Class of 2020, baby!

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:49 pm

I ended up finishing the LSAT Trainer plan a bit quicker than I anticipated. Overall, I liked it. I'm going to continue to use it as a resource throughout my prep.

Comparing the practice test I completed a week in to the practice test I just completed (about an hour ago), my raw score went up 7 points. The area that has improved the most was LR. I went from going -8 or -9 to going -4 or -5. LG and RC varied quite a bit more test to test. E.g., on today's test, I bombed the LG section with -12. Before bed, I'm going to redo that section of the test.

My plan for the next 4-6 weeks is to go through the Manhattan LR and RC books as well the Blueprint for LG. Still doing weekly PT's, reviewing the questions I missed, and then redoing the questions later in the same week. I also picked up one of the books with the questions grouped by type to drill.

PT Stats for after week 1 of LSAT Trainer (Aug 13th): raw 66, adj 155, LG: -8/+15, LR1: -8/+17, LR2: -10/+15, RC: -7/+19
PT Stats for today (a few days after completing LSAT Trainer, today Sept 26th): raw 73, adj 160, LG: -12/+12 (yeah...I bombed it), LR1: -4/+21, LR2: -4/+21, RC: -8/+19.

All time best LG was -4/+20, all time worst was about 2 weeks into starting to studying at +7 (didn't keep track of how many questions I missed at that point). LR has been the section that has been improving the most steadily. RC has been fairly consistent in the +19 to +21 range.

I think the biggest issue I have been running into is feeling brain fried. I think as the slow season gradually creeps in at work that feeling will go away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jetlife

New

Post by Jetlife » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 am

Checking in. Shooting for that 170+.

SwiftHobbes

New

Post by SwiftHobbes » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:40 am

Checking in for Feb. Looking to Rock that LSAT for a 170+!

As Mike Kim says, "The best way to ensure success is to deserve it. The ones who succeed are the ones most passionate about reaching their goals, and have the greatest capacity to work towards these goals."

Just finished the LSAT Trainer and 7Sage Curriculum. It's Drilling time baby.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 am

CMac86 wrote:I ended up finishing the LSAT Trainer plan a bit quicker than I anticipated. Overall, I liked it. I'm going to continue to use it as a resource throughout my prep.

Comparing the practice test I completed a week in to the practice test I just completed (about an hour ago), my raw score went up 7 points. The area that has improved the most was LR. I went from going -8 or -9 to going -4 or -5. LG and RC varied quite a bit more test to test. E.g., on today's test, I bombed the LG section with -12. Before bed, I'm going to redo that section of the test.

My plan for the next 4-6 weeks is to go through the Manhattan LR and RC books as well the Blueprint for LG. Still doing weekly PT's, reviewing the questions I missed, and then redoing the questions later in the same week. I also picked up one of the books with the questions grouped by type to drill.

PT Stats for after week 1 of LSAT Trainer (Aug 13th): raw 66, adj 155, LG: -8/+15, LR1: -8/+17, LR2: -10/+15, RC: -7/+19
PT Stats for today (a few days after completing LSAT Trainer, today Sept 26th): raw 73, adj 160, LG: -12/+12 (yeah...I bombed it), LR1: -4/+21, LR2: -4/+21, RC: -8/+19.

All time best LG was -4/+20, all time worst was about 2 weeks into starting to studying at +7 (didn't keep track of how many questions I missed at that point). LR has been the section that has been improving the most steadily. RC has been fairly consistent in the +19 to +21 range.

I think the biggest issue I have been running into is feeling brain fried. I think as the slow season gradually creeps in at work that feeling will go away.
Nice improvements! Did you follow an LSAT Trainer study guide? I am thinking of beginning the 12-Week Guide and following it.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:41 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Nice improvements! Did you follow an LSAT Trainer study guide? I am thinking of beginning the 12-Week Guide and following it.
I used the 12 Week Guide but didn't stick to following it precisely based off of days. The weeks where work was a little lighter or if I got my homework done earlier in the week, I would do additional days/sections of the guide. With my job (military musician) and school (distance education to finish undergrad), I needed/wanted the flexibility to adapt to whatever gets thrown at me. I did a lot of studying in hotel rooms and green rooms.

The analysis of what I have done wrong is helping quite a bit.

My next goal is to start hitting -4/-6 on LG consistently (eventual goal is -0/-2), -2/-4 on LR, and get RC down to -4/-6. By consistently, I mean at least 3-4 prep tests in a row.

I'm about 30 pages into the Blueprint for LG book. I like the style of writing but just got to the section where they are teaching you their method. So far, it seems like if Jeffrey GItomer wrote an LSAT book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Just checking in. I took the week off from LSAT studying. I was feeling brain fried and wasn't retaining much every time I sat down to study. I am also making a compendium of all of the questions I have missed on PT's (setting them up as a question drill pack). School and work were crazy busy this week, from Monday (3rd) to today (8th), I have slept in three different states as well as played six shows while keeping up with coursework. I'll be back to it this coming Monday.

cieltan

New

Post by cieltan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I have a question.

If I submit applications with a December LSAT score but have a Feburary LSAT lined up will T14s below HYS consider the latter's score if I am placed on waitlist?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:53 am

cieltan wrote:I have a question.

If I submit applications with a December LSAT score but have a Feburary LSAT lined up will T14s below HYS consider the latter's score if I am placed on waitlist?
Yes.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Organizing materials and going to start studying in a week.
This better be the last time. The LSAT has been in my life off and on since 2012. :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Just decided to take in February. Here we go...

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Rigo wrote:

Yes.
Should we tell them we're going to take a February LSAT?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:47 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Yes.
They will know because LSAC generates a report of applicants signed up for future administrations. If you don't want them to issue a decision before February, then I would email them and let them know you're signed up for February just to be overly cautious.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:54 pm

should I take GRE or LSAT in February?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm

calmike wrote:should I take GRE or LSAT in February?
Well what do you want to do?
GRE certainly opens you up to apply for more programs if you're unsure.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:58 pm

I want to apply next fall to Law School

But I also want to apply to Higher Ed Administration, Public Policy, or Public Admin.

I was a social science major but not interested in a masters in those fields except maybe History.
Rigo wrote:

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Follow your heart. They offer the GRE way more times per year, right? If so, that offers some flexibility,

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 pm

calmike wrote:I want to apply next fall to Law School

But I also want to apply to Higher Ed Administration, Public Policy, or Public Admin.

I was a social science major but not interested in a masters in those fields except maybe History.
Rigo wrote:

You can consider doing a dual degree as well, some schools do a dual degree with a higher ed masters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Rigo wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Yes.
They will know because LSAC generates a report of applicants signed up for future administrations. If you don't want them to issue a decision before February, then I would email them and let them know you're signed up for February just to be overly cautious.

Thank you!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Rigo wrote:Organizing materials and going to start studying in a week.
This better be the last time. The LSAT has been in my life off and on since 2012. :|
Whoa, that's so long, you're a champ. Definitely puts my studying in perspective.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Rigo wrote:Organizing materials and going to start studying in a week.
Whoa, that's so long, you're a champ. Definitely puts my studying in perspective.
Studying was in no way sustained for that long. I took a few years off.
I'll be retaking my 2014 score and haven't done anything since then.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:36 am

We need a poll!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”