Need help mentally preparing for each section

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ashrice13

Gold

Need help mentally preparing for each section

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Deleted
Last edited by ashrice13 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ek5dn

Bronze

Re: Need help mentally preparing for each section

Postby ek5dn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:36 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Hello!

Quick question - My diagnostic was a 159 and since then my PT score consistantly went up - 160, 162, 163. I was working through the bibles and seeing a steady improvement. The last two tests I did though were a 160 and a 157 - even worse than my diagnostic!

I believe part of the problem is getting in the mindset of each section. When I just do one or two timed sections and I know what type of questions I am going to face before I start - I'm averaging -2 in LR, and -4 in RC and the Games. Also, when I do a full PT, I am consistantly doing better on the 2nd LR section than on the 1st....It's like I need the warm up or something.

Any tips on how to quickly set your mind to a paticular thinking pattern for each section? I'm starting to get discouraged seeing me score drop so low.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

as opposed to physically preparing? lol no but seriously, what do you mind by changing your mindset before each section? Shouldn't you just be focused throughout?

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Hello!

Quick question - My diagnostic was a 159 and since then my PT score consistantly went up - 160, 162, 163. I was working through the bibles and seeing a steady improvement. The last two tests I did though were a 160 and a 157 - even worse than my diagnostic!

I believe part of the problem is getting in the mindset of each section. When I just do one or two timed sections and I know what type of questions I am going to face before I start - I'm averaging -2 in LR, and -4 in RC and the Games. Also, when I do a full PT, I am consistantly doing better on the 2nd LR section than on the 1st....It's like I need the warm up or something.

Any tips on how to quickly set your mind to a paticular thinking pattern for each section? I'm starting to get discouraged seeing me score drop so low.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

That's really strange, so I guess the problem is that you are stressful a bit, I have a similar problem, when I am drilling I think my life depends on it and my anxiety levels go up.
I read on a book "LSAT Reading Comprehension - The Ultimate Improvement Guide " by Adrian Li That it's better to close your eyes and take a deep breath before each section. Try that method maybe it will help you.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:51 pm

If you prep enough, then the sequence of each section shouldn't even be considered something to worry about. A warm up can probably help, as it does for a lot of people, but you have to get used to warming up and then attacking a 4 or 5 section PT. Those few seconds you get between each section, use that time to just completely clear your mind, do some type of breathing technique for those few seconds and that should at least somewhat be of benefit to get you into gear for the next section.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I am stressing so maybe just calming down will help. I appreciate the responses.

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:08 pm

I found this old post about something similar, of course they talk about taking pills for anxiety but I don't know anything about it, It might be helpful for you though.
viewtopic.php?t=218748

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Post removed...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�