If you could go back in time and study for the LSAT all over again, what would you do differently?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HYPSM

Bronze

If you could go back in time and study for the LSAT all over again, what would you do differently?

Postby HYPSM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:22 pm

How would you change your study schedule? Would you use different books (or use them differently)? Would you have studied longer? Anything!

RamTitan

Silver

Re: If you could go back in time and study for the LSAT all over again, what would you do differently?

Postby RamTitan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Since I'm studying for a retake, it's tough to say how I would study differently; however, I definitely would have liked to have gone into my first take with a healthier attitude.

I was stressed out of my mind; from worrying about scoring worse than my lowest PT score to being paranoid of the logistics of the actual test administration, it was all unnecessary. If you prepare properly, the real test should feel no different than any other PT. There is very little to actually worry about.
Last edited by RamTitan on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: If you could go back in time and study for the LSAT all over again, what would you do differently?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:25 pm

I would use practice tests more efficiently and not burn through them like I did

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 pm

I wouldn't necessarily change the methods I used to study because I still do them, but if I could go back to when I was studying for the June LSAT, I would not be a bitch and do more PTs.

#SecondTimesTheCharmBoi

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Get a degree in computer science

Generally

Gold

Postby Generally » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Be less stressed.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:09 pm

This is good, bump!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Would've done BR the first time around (wasn't on TLS back then though so I hadn't heard of it yet). Probably would've wanted an additional month or so. Also retaking, so it's hard to say.

mojomeltdown

New

Postby mojomeltdown » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:28 pm

I would've taken more time off, maybe a day or two more often, as well as a week or so now and then. Burnout is real. Too much of the time, it felt like an addiction where I couldn't stop even though I probably needed to rest my mind. By the time of the test, I was sick of it which probably hindered my score (which didn't end up being bad, but could've been better).

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 pm

I got addicted too. It can do that to you. But I enjoyed studying for it.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Hmm, could any one speak to the effectiveness of this "BR" method (and perhaps explain what it is)?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm

HYPSM wrote:Hmm, could any one speak to the effectiveness of this "BR" method (and perhaps explain what it is)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCNtfLVgZM

that's just part 1, there's other parts which you can find next to the vid

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Wouldn't have paid for a class and would've just self-studied with the Cambridge packets.

no exit

New

Postby no exit » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 pm

TheMikey wrote:I wouldn't necessarily change the methods I used to study because I still do them, but if I could go back to when I was studying for the June LSAT, I would not be a bitch and do more PTs.

#SecondTimesTheCharmBoi

How many PTs did you take before the exam and how many more do you wish you had done?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

no exit wrote:
TheMikey wrote:I wouldn't necessarily change the methods I used to study because I still do them, but if I could go back to when I was studying for the June LSAT, I would not be a bitch and do more PTs.

#SecondTimesTheCharmBoi

How many PTs did you take before the exam and how many more do you wish you had done?

I don't remember the exact amount of PTs that I did, but I think it was somewhere around like 8-10. I would've just done as many as I could leading up to test day if I could go back. I didn't do any of the 70's PTs either (i think I did PT 70 though but can't remember), which i should've done.

no exit

New

Postby no exit » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:56 pm

TheMikey wrote:
no exit wrote:

#SecondTimesTheCharmBoi

I don't remember the exact amount of PTs that I did, but I think it was somewhere around like 8-10. I would've just done as many as I could leading up to test day if I could go back. I didn't do any of the 70's PTs either (i think I did PT 70 though but can't remember), which i should've done.

Last edited by no exit on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Get a degree in computer science

Lmao, this; probably would have done Comp Sci and Econ

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:52 pm

RamTitan wrote:Since I'm studying for a retake, it's tough to say how I would study differently; however, I definitely would have liked to have gone into my first take with a healthier attitude.

I was stressed out of my mind; from worrying about scoring worse than my lowest PT score to being paranoid of the logistics of the actual test administration, it was all unnecessary. If you prepare properly, the real test should feel no different than any other PT. There is very little to actually worry about.

Agreed. For my first LSAT I spent long days in the library and was stressed out, I had a stress head ache the day of the exam. For my second take, I prepped lightly, relaxed, stayed off this forum (for the most part), didn't stress, and improved by 5 scaled points.

Take a deep breath and relax.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:20 am

I'm a little surprised by the emphasis on relaxation to be honest haha I was expecting different suggestions

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 am

HYPSM wrote:I'm a little surprised by the emphasis on relaxation to be honest haha I was expecting different suggestions

I didn't even mention that in my post but yes, I would've worked on some relaxation techniques because that LG section being first was like an anxiety slap in the face and I panicked/froze!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:31 am

HYPSM wrote:Hmm, could any one speak to the effectiveness of this "BR" method (and perhaps explain what it is)?

I can't say for sure how effective it is because I haven't done a full PT in awhile to see what my score looks like BUT so far, just going off of the sections/questions I've BR, it appears to be helping.

To explain what it is: BR stands for blind review. Basically, the general idea is that you do a section or questions or whatever (I've mostly done it with LR) and mark any questions you're not 100% sure of. Then BEFORE YOU CHECK YOUR ANSWERS, you go back over all of the questions you marked as being unsure of & either confirm you chose the right answer or change your answer (no time limit, just try to be sure). After that, you check your answers like you normally would. I usually write how many I had wrong pre-BR and how many I had wrong post-BR & use different colored pens for each stage so I remember. The one downside I've noticed for me personally is that sometimes when I'm unsure of an answer the first time (but have it right), when I go back over it before checking my answers, I'll change it.

7sage has some posts explaining the process of BR. If you're looking to improve on any sections, I'd recommend at least trying it. Most people say it helps but I think I've seen a couple on here who say they don't find it useful.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 am

I would have given myself a lot more days off. Echoing some of the posters above, burnout is real!

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Get a degree in computer science

actually this hit me 2 years ago.
I kept on telling my brother
I could've studied Computer Engineering, and then with that I would have a plan B
I could've done that, but now I can't waste no more time.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:08 am

brinicolec wrote:

I can't say for sure how effective it is because I haven't done a full PT in awhile to see what my score looks like BUT so far, just going off of the sections/questions I've BR, it appears to be helping.

To explain what it is: BR stands for blind review. Basically, the general idea is that you do a section or questions or whatever (I've mostly done it with LR) and mark any questions you're not 100% sure of. Then BEFORE YOU CHECK YOUR ANSWERS, you go back over all of the questions you marked as being unsure of & either confirm you chose the right answer or change your answer (no time limit, just try to be sure). After that, you check your answers like you normally would. I usually write how many I had wrong pre-BR and how many I had wrong post-BR & use different colored pens for each stage so I remember. The one downside I've noticed for me personally is that sometimes when I'm unsure of an answer the first time (but have it right), when I go back over it before checking my answers, I'll change it.

7sage has some posts explaining the process of BR. If you're looking to improve on any sections, I'd recommend at least trying it. Most people say it helps but I think I've seen a couple on here who say they don't find it useful.

Thank you for that explanation! It was helpful.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 am

galadriel3019 wrote:I would have given myself a lot more days off. Echoing some of the posters above, burnout is real!

How much time did you take off exactly? (And how long should you have taken off, in your opinion?)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�