Best Method for LR Improvement?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mike Wang

New

Best Method for LR Improvement?

Postby Mike Wang » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Okay guys so I'm hovering around -5 or so on timed LR sections. Right now I'm focusing on analyzing and breaking down the stim and then analyzing the answer choices before choosing an answer choice with confidence and moving the hell on to the next question. Still feeling pretty rushed on the sections. What's the best way to improve? Goal is -2 max on each LR section.

Is there a point you can get to where you're solely picking the correct answer based almost completely on structure of the answers themselves without regards to actual content? I.e. almost just purely intuitively? I'm trying tk get to that level now. Currently I'm just going balls to the wall doing timed LR sections every day then reviewing my answers. Beginning to recognize that certain answers are precluded from being the correct answer on parallel reasoning questions due to different modifiers in the answer choices (some, all, etc.). Also developing an eye for correct answer choices on assumption questions solely based on whether the answer bridges the gap between a premise and conclusion or rules out a possibility that might negate the arg.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Best Method for LR Improvement?

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Mike Wang wrote:Okay guys so I'm hovering around -5 or so on timed LR sections. Right now I'm focusing on analyzing and breaking down the stim and then analyzing the answer choices before choosing an answer choice with confidence and moving the hell on to the next question. Still feeling pretty rushed on the sections. What's the best way to improve? Goal is -2 max on each LR section.

Is there a point you can get to where you're solely picking the correct answer based almost completely on structure of the answers themselves without regards to actual content? I.e. almost just purely intuitively? I'm trying tk get to that level now. Currently I'm just going balls to the wall doing timed LR sections every day then reviewing my answers. Beginning to recognize that certain answers are precluded from being the correct answer on parallel reasoning questions due to different modifiers in the answer choices (some, all, etc.). Also developing an eye for correct answer choices on assumption questions solely based on whether the answer bridges the gap between a premise and conclusion or rules out a possibility that might negate the arg.

Some of the assumption questions you can pick answers based solely on the structure ("finding the gap"). On some of the flaw questions you can quickly pick out right answers because the stem uses a formal logical fallacy. I suppose other questions that you can use short cuts and pick quick answers are "Main Point/Main Conclusion" and questions that ask specifically about the structure.

I'd suggest the same advice that I was offered. Relentlessly drill the question types that you are weak on and appear most often. If you have not put you PT's into a database, then start doing so. (I recommend 7sage). From there find which question types are highest priority, and then attempt question after question of that type. Furthermore, You can save time by picking up a prep book that complies and separates all the questions by type. Photo copy the question types you struggle with that way you can attempt those questions again after a few weeks. You want to develop your on strategies and approaches for that question type that is quick, easy, accurate, and reliable.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�