Timing Issues on LR?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mike Wang

New

Timing Issues on LR?

Postby Mike Wang » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm missing about 5-6 on timed LR sections right now. Many of those same questions that I'm getting wrong during timed sections I'm actually getting correct when I'm doing them untimed and I have just a bit more time to analyze the stim and answer choices. When I do the sections timed I feel super rushed...Should I be reading for structure more on the stim instead of over-analyzing? Or just focus on drilling problem types? What's the best way to improve? Hoping to take either the Sept or Dec test.

RamTitan

Silver

Re: Timing Issues on LR?

Postby RamTitan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Keep practicing, and you'll get better. You have to analyze both the structure and details (RC this is not). Regardless, if you always find the conclusion, it will make your life a lot easier.

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:17 am

If you are struggling with time I read some where that you have to do the transition gradually
Like you give yourself 40 minute and practice for a while then
you you make it 37 minutes
then you make it 35 minutes
and then you try to make it 33 minutes
and then 31 minutes. and see how you fare.

so you do over training and under training, but the main focus should be the ( 35 minutes)

I got this advice and a lot of great tips from this article
https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to- ... reasoning/

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:36 am

This sounds simple, but hear me out.

One of the most effective things for me was to bracket the conclusion of the argument before reading the question, and then ask "Why do they think that?" Typically, the answer is something regarding how they got to the conclusion, and by doing this before reading the question/answers, your thought process is untainted. Then, once you find the correct answer, move on. Don't spin your wheels trying to justify every answer.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:51 pm

SweetTort wrote:This sounds simple, but hear me out.

One of the most effective things for me was to bracket the conclusion of the argument before reading the question, and then ask "Why do they think that?" Typically, the answer is something regarding how they got to the conclusion, and by doing this before reading the question/answers, your thought process is untainted. Then, once you find the correct answer, move on. Don't spin your wheels trying to justify every answer.

I second this remark. I do not necessarily bracket the conclusions, but I make sure to really focus on the conclusion and how it was drawn before moving to the answers. I also agree that trying to justify every answer is a weakness and time waster.

My basic rundown for justifying the answers corresponds with the general difficulty of questions with the section.

1-10 easiest so pick the best answer and move on, do not spend much time justifying
11-15 more difficult, perhaps a brief justification if necessary
16-25/26 most difficult, if you are going to spend time justifying a question, the time is best spent on these questions.

If you cannot narrow a question down to 2 answers fairly quickly then circle and come back to it if there is time. If you narrowed a question down to 2 choices, then go with you best guess and circle the questions. Once again come back to justify the question if you have time.

If you get a good flow going and keep a decent pace, usually you will have at least 3-4 minutes to come back a justify/select answers to questions you circled.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�