How to improve on LG?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mr. Momo

New

How to improve on LG?

Postby Mr. Momo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:47 am

I'm currently close to the end of my Blueprint online course and have started PTing once a week ( I plan on doing more once I've completed all lesson for the course). In the beginning I found that I actually enjoyed the LGs, especially because I was doing them untimed. But ever since taking my first PT, I realized that my methods are obviously not there because I found that I am very, very slow on some games. I only managed to finish 2 sets out of 4 on my first PT.

I think the problem is that while I can make some basic deductions, a lot of the times when it comes to questions like, "If H goes, which two players must also go" - I get stuck and just start plugging in answers (and even then I take forever to find the right answer).

What can I do to improve? I know drilling is important, but I don't think I got much from the Blueprint course in terms of methods. Are there other books that I can try? I've switched over to watching some of 7sages videos for LG on youtube, and I've noticed that on many questions he creates multiple setups for the different possibilities. My problem is that a lot of times I don't even realize that it is a question that I can do multiple setups to.

Any help is appreciated.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: How to improve on LG?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:47 am

Mr. Momo wrote:I'm currently close to the end of my Blueprint online course and have started PTing once a week ( I plan on doing more once I've completed all lesson for the course). In the beginning I found that I actually enjoyed the LGs, especially because I was doing them untimed. But ever since taking my first PT, I realized that my methods are obviously not there because I found that I am very, very slow on some games. I only managed to finish 2 sets out of 4 on my first PT.

I think the problem is that while I can make some basic deductions, a lot of the times when it comes to questions like, "If H goes, which two players must also go" - I get stuck and just start plugging in answers (and even then I take forever to find the right answer).

What can I do to improve? I know drilling is important, but I don't think I got much from the Blueprint course in terms of methods. Are there other books that I can try? I've switched over to watching some of 7sages videos for LG on youtube, and I've noticed that on many questions he creates multiple setups for the different possibilities. My problem is that a lot of times I don't even realize that it is a question that I can do multiple setups to.

Any help is appreciated.

I was in the exact same spot you are in about a month ago. I was missing about half on every LG section. Everyone told me to just keep drilling and it would all "click" I also began using the 7Sage fool proof method: https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect- ... gic-games/

That is what I did and it really all the sudden clicked for me one day. I used Powerscore Logic Games Bible, Manhattan Prep Logic Games 4th Edition, and the 7Sage LG explanations. I now am going through the 7Sage full course and seeing further improvements, so I really recommend the course! But if you are short on time, I think the LGB is the way to go... Gave me a real solid foundation and crash course in how to diagram. Manhattan was helpful with pure sequencing games and grouping games a bit more than the bible was. I kind of took a little bit here and there as far as diagramming from each book I read.

Some quick tips:
Make sure you can diagram the rules for each game type properly and without much thinking. (Will come with lots of drilling and time)
Understand the inferences/deductions you need to make.
Look for "key" inferences, or very restrictive rules. Something that heavily restricts where the other entities can go.
When going through the answer choices be smart and look for how those key inferences are going to interact with the other entities.

The thing you probably don't want to hear is that you basically just have to do a bunch of them...over and over...and over and over...

I must have done 60 games 5-10x each and I'm still not at -0 on a LG yet. Best I've gone is -3, but that is a far cry from my -16 on my diagnostic on June 10th. And if I can do it, believe me anyone can do it. I used to dread games, now they are the section I am most confident in.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 am

Mr. Momo wrote:I'm currently close to the end of my Blueprint online course and have started PTing once a week ( I plan on doing more once I've completed all lesson for the course). In the beginning I found that I actually enjoyed the LGs, especially because I was doing them untimed. But ever since taking my first PT, I realized that my methods are obviously not there because I found that I am very, very slow on some games. I only managed to finish 2 sets out of 4 on my first PT.

Any help is appreciated.

First step you can take that's very helpful is developing a notation method that requires as little writing as possible, yet still conveys the rule in a way that you'll recognize and understand intuitively without having to re-read the rule itself.

Secondly, practice. You're going to have to be proficient at games to be good at them and that requires doing game after game after game after game.

Thirdly, you need to make any causal inferences you can from the rules. For example, if it says "H must come before L" you now know H can't be last and L can't be first. Or if it says "If H participated then so did M. If M participated then T didn't." Instead of writing it as two separate rules, you can combine like "H=M, ~T"

This helps for questions like "What times can H go?"

Learning to make these inferences quickly & accurately can literally cut minutes off your LG time by itself. MANY of the LG questions are testing your skill look at the secondary and tertiary and even quadrary consequences of a particular action. So every rule you should quickly ask yourself "What further impact does this rule have besides what it states?" And map that out QUICKLY and ACCURATELY.

It's important to be accurate because an incorrect inference will fuck you up badly on these questions.

Mr. Momo

New

Postby Mr. Momo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 pm

I was in the exact same spot you are in about a month ago. I was missing about half on every LG section. Everyone told me to just keep drilling and it would all "click" I also began using the 7Sage fool proof method: https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect- ... gic-games/

That is what I did and it really all the sudden clicked for me one day. I used Powerscore Logic Games Bible, Manhattan Prep Logic Games 4th Edition, and the 7Sage LG explanations. I now am going through the 7Sage full course and seeing further improvements, so I really recommend the course! But if you are short on time, I think the LGB is the way to go... Gave me a real solid foundation and crash course in how to diagram. Manhattan was helpful with pure sequencing games and grouping games a bit more than the bible was. I kind of took a little bit here and there as far as diagramming from each book I read.

Some quick tips:
Make sure you can diagram the rules for each game type properly and without much thinking. (Will come with lots of drilling and time)
Understand the inferences/deductions you need to make.
Look for "key" inferences, or very restrictive rules. Something that heavily restricts where the other entities can go.
When going through the answer choices be smart and look for how those key inferences are going to interact with the other entities.

The thing you probably don't want to hear is that you basically just have to do a bunch of them...over and over...and over and over...

I must have done 60 games 5-10x each and I'm still not at -0 on a LG yet. Best I've gone is -3, but that is a far cry from my -16 on my diagnostic on June 10th. And if I can do it, believe me anyone can do it. I used to dread games, now they are the section I am most confident in.

Hey thanks for the input! After another failed LG section on my PT today, I realized that my stress played a bit into it. I've since calmed down and stopped worrying about not improving. I have further looked into 7sage's videos and I am loving JY's methods so far. I'll stick to his videos for the rest of my studying until Sept.

I am pretty decent at setup. I think my key issue is that while I can make basic inferences, the more complex ones really escape me sometimes. I guess there's no way to fix that except for more practice!!

One more question I do have though - do you just scan in tests and print copies of them? I'm already dreading the idea of scanning so many tests page by page.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�