private 1:1 tutoring vs. group class vs. using books?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sadieshadow

New

private 1:1 tutoring vs. group class vs. using books?

Postby sadieshadow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Assuming that one could spend the (large $$$) expense of private 1:1 skype tutoring for LSAT and the individual appeared to be highly qualified, does anyone see a disadvantage of this approach? Of course, I see people have success using the alternatives, just wanted to explore the pros and cons other than $$$. Thank you.

34iplaw

Gold

Re: private 1:1 tutoring vs. group class vs. using books?

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:46 pm

all else equal...1 on 1 instruction is going to be superior to group instruction, as group instruction has to cater to a group if cost is no factor.

that said, a tutor that teaches a group class [or qualified as instructors at the legitimate prep companies] may charge $100+ or more an hour.

you may also benefit from the social aspect of a class...all depends on what you need... that said...this was my thought process on what I ended up doing...

picked a class and figured, if needed, I'll supplement with some tutoring...

picked Testmasters, and noticed the in person class is only $400 more than the online one. I figured that the $400 was worth the social component, being able to ask questions in person, and the proctored exams alone ... especially when considering that's roughly four hours of tutoring.

sadieshadow

New

Postby sadieshadow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Maybe it might be more efficient time wise?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 am

I got a 171 using books, and I probably could have done better if I had invested more time than 2 months. I think books help you organize your own schedule and learn at your own pace. It would really require a strong motivation though.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 pm

sadieshadow wrote:Assuming that one could spend the (large $$$) expense of private 1:1 skype tutoring for LSAT and the individual appeared to be highly qualified, does anyone see a disadvantage of this approach? Of course, I see people have success using the alternatives, just wanted to explore the pros and cons other than $$$. Thank you.

If we're ignoring the cost, private tutoring with a qualified tutor that you've vetted is possibly the best way to get ready for the LSAT. This person can focus on you and your specific needs, so they can tailor lessons and practice work accordingly. You won't be wasting time going over things that you're good at, and they'll be able to point out any bad habits or flaws in your approaches to different questions and sections. Having someone you can go to for general advice and help on specific questions is also very reassuring.

I don't think there are really any cons to getting private tutoring. Of course, you still have to plenty of practice work yourself. A tutor can teach you the strategies, but it's up to you to put in the work to internalize them. So just like with a class, you have to keep up if you want to get the most out of your time.

Many students who have already learned some or all of the material and want to improve their score also benefit from private tutoring. I've worked with a lot of students in this boat - I help them locate their weaknesses, and come up with assignments and lessons to improve on those.

Mylovejoy

New

Postby Mylovejoy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Does anyone know where one can find a qualified tutor

sadieshadow

New

Postby sadieshadow » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am

Thank you for your replies.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 am

sadieshadow wrote:Assuming that one could spend the (large $$$) expense of private 1:1 skype tutoring for LSAT and the individual appeared to be highly qualified, does anyone see a disadvantage of this approach? Of course, I see people have success using the alternatives, just wanted to explore the pros and cons other than $$$. Thank you.

It really also depends on what your score range is. If you're scoring relatively high 160-170s, then I'd recommend books, because at that point you just need more practice. I recommend PowerScore (what I used)

If you're not doing well, then 1:1 sounds like the way to go

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 am

absolutely, if money is not an object (and even in some cases when it is), go with 1-on-1 tutoring. if I had thousands to spend I would have done so.

I've heard the really really legit tutors (in NYC etc) charge a few hundred an hour.

If you're going to get a tutor, make sure they're really fucking legit for the money you pay them. Like they should not have anything below a 177 AND should obviously be a great teacher on top of that. They should have a former student you can speak with who can attest to their skillz

I mean, of course success can be attained in other ways. But if you have the money then go for the tutor.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Some of the major companies that teach LSAT classes also offer private tutoring options, with the instructor being someone who teaches the classes. They are probably more expensive than just finding a tutor online, but you can at least see their track record and experience more fully.

I would definitely encourage you to think how you learn best. If you find 1:1 helps you keep out distractions, then 1:1 tutoring is a great option to consider because it also allows you to get help specifically with what you want, because you aren't waiting while other people ask their questions.

Some of my friends when deciding if they wanted to do 1:1 tutoring took companies up on the offer to sit in on a class the potential instructor teaches. You get a feel for the person you'd be working with before you pay all that money. A trial run like that could really help you make a final decision, look into whether they still offer that! Testmasters and I believe Blueprint offered this.

HiLine

Bronze

Postby HiLine » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:31 am

Mylovejoy wrote:Does anyone know where one can find a qualified tutor

Right above your post! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�