Misinterpreting LR Answer Choices Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vodkagoesbadwhenopen

New

Misinterpreting LR Answer Choices

Post by vodkagoesbadwhenopen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey guys! I wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to not get tripped at the answer choices when it comes to LR. For some context, I rarely miss LR questions because I misunderstand the argument but it does account for wide variability. On good days, I miss 0-2 questions. On bad days, I can miss up to 5 questions. Most (usually all but 1) of the times I get LR questions wrong because I think a wrong answer choice better matches the pre-phrase than the right answer choice. There's minimal consistency in terms of argument types (i.e. it's not like I'm ONLY missing NA questions) that I get wrong but they are almost always concentrated in the last 7 questions of the LR section. Does anyone have any advice on better understanding what exactly an answer choice is saying?

For example, for PT60.1.16, I know that the argument hinges on weakening the relationship between the old cars and pollution amounts and the role buying these old cars would play. I thought answer choice (A) did a better job than answer choice (D) of weakening the relationship. Reading Manhattan forums explanations of why D is better makes sense to me now but while I was taking this PT, I couldn't justify D over A so I went with A.
Last edited by vodkagoesbadwhenopen on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny_columbuslsat

New

Re: Misinterpreting LR Answer Choices

Post by danny_columbuslsat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:32 pm

I know you're asking for more general advice, but it'd help if you gave a few examples of questions where this has happened :)

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:36 pm

This isn't going to be the most helpful answer, but the most effective thing you can do with the amount of time that you have before the December exam is practice, practice, practice. Over time you should see your scores starting to become much more consistent. Other than that, look to see if specific question types (strengthen, weaken, must be true, etc.) are tripping you up and go over your strategy for attacking those questions.

You also hit the nail on the head with LR requiring a lot of focus. Practice clearing your mind before each section you take, during the real exam the biggest issue you'll probably have is being distracted by the time pressure/nervousness. The great thing is you still have time to focus and learn how to calm yourself down and stay in the zone for a whole section.

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Whoops, replied to the wrong thread but a lot of what I said still applies

vodkagoesbadwhenopen

New

Post by vodkagoesbadwhenopen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Edited OP with an example :D

danny_columbuslsat

New

Post by danny_columbuslsat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Ok, so in the example you were looking for an answer choice that would tell you that even though the old cars produce a higher percentage of air pollution than the plants, buying and getting rid of the cars would NOT result in greater reduction of air pollution.

During the test you might find it helpful to repeat to yourself EXACTLY what you're looking for when going through the answer choices. On this question you may have gone just a bit too quickly when you were comparing the answer choices? That is often the case if it's really easy for you to understand afterwards why the answer choice you picked was wrong.

Also, more general advice which you probably already know but just in case: Make sure on these questions you understand afterwards why the correct answer is 100% right and the incorrect answer is 100% wrong. I don't think this happened on the example you gave, but often one of the answer choices will sound more like your prephrase but have something glaringly wrong with it that you need to pick up on.

Hope that helps a little :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”