PT18.S1.G2 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack Obama 2.0

New

PT18.S1.G2

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

While I am now comfortable with this game, the first time I saw it I had no idea how to diagram it. I thought it was a double layered sequencing/linear game that was unbalanced (underfunded). I thought the fall and variable courses were their own separate variable sets and thus tried to split and stack them on my diagram. How do we know not to diagram it as such and to instead rightly diagram at it as a single layer sequencing game.

brinicolec

Gold

Re: PT18.S1.G2

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:While I am now comfortable with this game, the first time I saw it I had no idea how to diagram it. I thought it was a double layered sequencing/linear game that was unbalanced (underfunded). I thought the fall and variable courses were their own separate variable sets and thus tried to split and stack them on my diagram. How do we know not to diagram it as such and to instead rightly diagram at it as a single layer sequencing game.
Although I didn't go through the game completely, I read it as a single layer sequencing game with the fall/spring subsets (so I'd just put like Mf for mathematic fall). My first hint was "numbered 1 through 6" then when I proceeded to the actual rules, simply based on the way they explain positioning, along with the fact that each slot has only one course and there is a Mf, Ms, etc. I think the main thing though was when I read the rules for the game and saw that it's really as simple as each course having its own position.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:While I am now comfortable with this game, the first time I saw it I had no idea how to diagram it. I thought it was a double layered sequencing/linear game that was unbalanced (underfunded). I thought the fall and variable courses were their own separate variable sets and thus tried to split and stack them on my diagram. How do we know not to diagram it as such and to instead rightly diagram at it as a single layer sequencing game.

This is in interesting game, because it's doable whether you diagram it as a single tier or multiple tiers. I did the latter, as I found that a bit more intuitive to read - however, if you do so, you have to remember that there can't be duplicates. For example, if you place one math class, the other math class must belong to the opposite term, whether that is spring or fall. I thought this was made fairly clear in the introduction, where it says that the offerings were kept in six folders numbered 1 through 6. Why would there be multiple folders describing the same class? From this I figured that each one must be unique.

Diagramming it as two rows helped me easily visualize the rules about the first two slots having the same subject, and slots three and four having different subjects. I was also able to deduce that slots 5 and 6 have to have different subjects. This, along with rule that slots 1 and 4 are either math or oceanography, led me to the big deduction that makes this game a lot easier: slot 3 must be nutrition.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:57 pm

I had a hard time w/ this one too. But after I kinda re-read the rules I split the game board to 4 worlds based on rules:

The fall mathematics orders are in folder 1 or else
folder 4.

The spring oceanography orders are in folder 1 or
else folder 4.

Finished it in less than 8 minutes. didn't miss any.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”