September or December LSAT?

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

September or December LSAT?

Postby bmathers » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:22 pm

I have already taken the LSAT twice (my first take was a waste after very little prep). I scored a 158 on my retake (I made some stupid mistakes and should have been in the 160s). I just got 7Sage this time around, and ideally want a 164+ (but would be happy with a 160+). My last 5 PTs have been a 159, 160,160,161,162 (not in that order). I know that I already have the tools and knowledge to break 160, but I'm not sure about my ideal 164.

Now, for my final take - Do you think that I should go ahead with the September administration (Currently registered, and it is being held 5 miles from my house in September), or should I cancel and hold off until December?

I am applying to LS for a Fall 2017 start, so a December test would certainly not be an "early application." A 160-162 should get me a full ride at a lot of the schools I am looking at (Villanova, Temple, PSU, Georgia State, Syracuse [safety], Drexel [Safety]... higher grade would simply open up new schools (primarily, UNC [164], Vandy/Emory [mid 160s], and Penn [170])

I'm a bit torn.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby maybeman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Generally, if you're within 3 points of your target score averaged over your last 5 PTs, you should sit for the test. It's hard for me to not say wait because your target schools aren't great options, but if you'd be happy at any of them then you should sit. If you think you have a realistic chance of hitting close or at 170, I would definitely wait. Like tons of people say on here, law school isn't going anywhere. What was your diagnostic?

User avatar
mwells56
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:42 pm

maybeman wrote:Generally, if you're within 3 points of your target score averaged over your last 5 PTs, you should sit for the test. It's hard for me to not say wait because your target schools aren't great options, but if you'd be happy at any of them then you should sit. If you think you have a realistic chance of hitting close or at 170, I would definitely wait. Like tons of people say on here, law school isn't going anywhere. What was your diagnostic?


Is this TCR? Haven't heard that yet.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby bmathers » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 pm

[quote="maybeman"] It's hard for me to not say wait because your target schools aren't great options, but if you'd be happy at any of them then you should sit./quote]
I'm not interested in the Big Law life and feel Nova on a full-ride would not be a bad option if I want to stay in Pennsylvania (I am from PA). Georgia State I think places ok in the Atlanta area, and I have multiple siblings, nieces, and a nephew living in the Atlanta area.

That's my reasoning for those two locations. Am I wrong with targeting those schools w/ a substantial scholarship? Obviously, it does not have the reach of a T14, but I can't imagine these T1/T2 schools placing too poorly in the region.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3247
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby Big Red » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 pm

I would sit in September if you're dead set on getting in the applications this year. Honestly, this is your 3rd time taking, and if you don't have any reason for thinking that 2.5 more months of studying will get you a better grade, your much better off taking advantage of getting your application in earlier.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby maybeman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:11 pm

bmathers wrote:
maybeman wrote: It's hard for me to not say wait because your target schools aren't great options, but if you'd be happy at any of them then you should sit./quote]
I'm not interested in the Big Law life and feel Nova on a full-ride would not be a bad option if I want to stay in Pennsylvania (I am from PA). Georgia State I think places ok in the Atlanta area, and I have multiple siblings, nieces, and a nephew living in the Atlanta area.

That's my reasoning for those two locations. Am I wrong with targeting those schools w/ a substantial scholarship? Obviously, it does not have the reach of a T14, but I can't imagine these T1/T2 schools placing too poorly in the region.



I think that's a fine outlook. Even if you're not interested in biglaw, make sure you know exactly what employment statistics you're signing up for. Your career trajectory after attending these schools at median is a good degree less flexible than it would be through your options in the 165-170 range.

I would sit in September if you're dead set on getting in the applications this year. Honestly, this is your 3rd time taking, and if you don't have any reason for thinking that 2.5 more months of studying will get you a better grade, your much better off taking advantage of getting your application in earlier.


This

User avatar
FayRays
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby FayRays » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 am

I would say always thrive for the best!
if you apply in December with higher LSAT you will probably still get the chance to get in!

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: September or December LSAT?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:13 am

FayRays wrote:I would say always thrive for the best!
if you apply in December with higher LSAT you will probably still get the chance to get in!



Yeah, if you think studying for a few extra months will help, especially if you work or have school, then I'd sit for December. I actually recently decided to postpone until December. Mike Spivey basically told me: higher score > getting apps in early.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests