How to tackle those unusual games? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cocoandcoconuts

New

How to tackle those unusual games?

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi,

Do people still go -0 or -1 on game sections now?
How to prepare for those unusual games? :( Unlike in/out or sequence games, I'm not sure there is a way to practice or prepare for those unusual games because there could be a lot of different patterns...
How do you prepare for those games?

maybeman

Bronze

Re: How to tackle those unusual games?

Post by maybeman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes they do! I'm trying to become one of them. In my experience, the "trick" to unusual games is to be flexible in terms of your set-up. If a game presents a gameboard & rules that don't conform to anything you're used to, you'll be much more prepared if you've practiced hitting a game like this under testing conditions a number of times. Also, most if not all games - even unusual ones - are all related to older games in some significant way. They might use an extra set of variables or sequence variables in an odd way, but the structures are all very similar. Easier said than recognized, of course.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for your response.
Actually I was doing PT77 game #3 today and the game is so unusual that I could not relate to any other rules that I am used to (eg rules used in in/out, seq. games)...not sure whether you have already done the game, but if you have, could you tell me how I can relate this game to other games? Just wanna get some hints that I can use for other games later :(

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:45 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:Thanks for your response.
Actually I was doing PT77 game #3 today and the game is so unusual that I could not relate to any other rules that I am used to (eg rules used in in/out, seq. games)...not sure whether you have already done the game, but if you have, could you tell me how I can relate this game to other games? Just wanna get some hints that I can use for other games later :(

Ah sorry, I wish I could, but I haven't looked at 77 yet. I'm sure another poster will come through though. In the meantime, you could look for a solution online or on these boards and see if that helps

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 pm

If you have the Cambridge Packets, just do all the misc games. Even if the game seems super weird, you can approach it in a methodical way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:08 pm

maybeman wrote:

Ah sorry, I wish I could, but I haven't looked at 77 yet. I'm sure another poster will come through though. In the meantime, you could look for a solution online or on these boards and see if that helps
I see thanks anyway for your reply! :)
SweetTort wrote:If you have the Cambridge Packets, just do all the misc games. Even if the game seems super weird, you can approach it in a methodical way.
By saying methodical way do you mean there is no trick or common rules but just follow the rules one by one and see how it works..? so kind of have to do trial&error a lot?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:49 pm

SweetTort wrote:If you have the Cambridge Packets, just do all the misc games. Even if the game seems super weird, you can approach it in a methodical way.

Totally what has been helping me. Once you see a bunch of weird ones, you start to become better at improvising a set up.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Actually I did not buy them...
Do you know where I can find a place where those unusual games are listed? :(

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:
maybeman wrote:

I see thanks anyway for your reply! :)
By saying methodical way do you mean there is no trick or common rules but just follow the rules one by one and see how it works..? so kind of have to do trial&error a lot?

Methodical as in using a method to solve them. So, while it may not be QUITE a sequencing game, you can use some of the same tools and set-ups to solve it, or something like that. At the heart of most games are similar principles.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”