How to tell if you are burning out?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

How to tell if you are burning out?

Postby lawschoolgirl312 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:37 pm

I know there's thousands of posts already but I was wondering if someone can tell me what is happenning. I have been scoring in the 170s range, but today I dropped down to a 167. I can feel myself being more tired and I could barely chug through the LG and I usually fly through this part. I want to be cruising in the high 175s before the September test and now I feel like Im just freaking out. What should i do?

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Re: How to tell if you are burning out?

Postby The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Honestly, the same thing was happening to me about a month before my June LSAT. I had been scoring in the mid 170s, testing in all my free time. Getting that one low score freaked me out, so I started taking more tests, and getting more stressed out, and getting low scores, and... it became a vicious cycle. Thankfully, my thesis chair (who has a JD) told me to calm the hell down and take a break. I did, and my scores went back up. I took another break about a week before my actual LSAT, and I scored better on test day than my pt average.

TL;DR take a break, don't let a few lower than average scores get to you.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:09 pm

You seem to be exhibiting the signs of burn out. Especially how you mention that you are not usually this way with LGs section.

I'd just take a break, do something non-LSAT related. Perhaps take tonight and the rest of the weekend to enjoy yourself doing nothing LSAT related. I know that is easier said than done, but try something social, it will help to take your mind off of things.

My biggest score increase came after I took an entire Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Came back and felt recharged, re-motvied, and rested. Then I did my best on a PT I had ever done!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsy987

Bronze

Postby gsy987 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Contrary to what people in this forum may say from time to time, there is such a thing as life outside of the LSAT.

We're about to have a lovely weekend in the middle of July. Go enjoy it! :D

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:I know there's thousands of posts already but I was wondering if someone can tell me what is happenning. I have been scoring in the 170s range, but today I dropped down to a 167. I can feel myself being more tired and I could barely chug through the LG and I usually fly through this part. I want to be cruising in the high 175s before the September test and now I feel like Im just freaking out. What should i do?

This certainly sounds like burnout. Take the weekend off and take your mind off the test. You're not going to undo your progress by taking a few days' break - in fact, you'll find it easier to focus and learn from your mistakes.

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Postby lawschoolgirl312 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:47 pm

but how do you know when you're finally done "burning out" ( in a sense) and can return back to studying refreshed?

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:54 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:but how do you know when you're finally done "burning out" ( in a sense) and can return back to studying refreshed?

When you feel like studying again. It'll happen, but you may need a few days or a week before it does. You won't lose your progress.

notsolawful

Bronze

Postby notsolawful » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Took 3 weeks off due to waiting for my score. Started meditating and controlling my anxiety. Got -0 on my first LR section back. Was averaging -2 normally. -4 when burnt out.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:09 am

gsy987 wrote:Contrary to what people in this forum may say from time to time, there is such a thing as life outside of the LSAT.

We're about to have a lovely weekend in the middle of July. Go enjoy it! :D

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 pm

This forum is all about "PT till you die, etc."; I rarely if ever study more than 2 hours a day (granted I spent a year studying for my first take). Everyone learns differently.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�