Prep Course? One-on-one Tutoring? Self Study? HELP!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MangoPapi

New

Prep Course? One-on-one Tutoring? Self Study? HELP!

Postby MangoPapi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Hey everyone!

First off, this is my first time posting on here so I apologize in advance if the question I am about to ask has already been asked several times. I've looked around the forum for a bit and couldn't really find a helpful answer to my question which is why I'm posting but if there's already a thread that you think would help me, please do feel free to direct me there.

The way I've been studying for my LSAT have been through the Princeton Review and "LSAT For Dummies" books that are found in libraries. They often consist of strategies and techniques for each section followed by a few of the previous LSATS. I don't know how effective this method of preparing for the LSAT is hence why I'm writing this post. Hopefully someone can tell me some of the more practiced/efficient ways for preparing for the LSAT.

I've also briefly looked into LSAT prep courses such as Kaplan and I was considering signing up for one until I saw posts discussing how general Kaplan is and how it's a waste of your money since only a few people top out at a 150. Many posts were suggesting one on one tutoring as the better method however when I looked into one on one tutoring, (in Toronto) I only found some on kijiji and this one student who graduated from a top tier law school from here and is now offering classes. I've never heard of programs like Tutormaster and the sorts so if someone can direct me to some really good, reputable programs that deal with one on one tutoring, that would be amazing!

I know I'm asking for a lot and my thoughts are all over the place, I apologize for that. I'm just looking for answers as to what's the best way to go about studying for the LSAT. I'd prefer if you avoid replies such as "It's different for each person.." I'm looking for methods that on average help students. I'd also like confirmation whether prep courses like Kaplan are a waste of money and if I should rather direct my attention towards one on one tutoring?

Thank you so much for your help!

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Prep Course? One-on-one Tutoring? Self Study? HELP!

Postby Deardevil » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Welcome, MangoPapi!

Not sure about Princeton, but LSAT For Dummies is definitely not the way to go...
I, and many others, would recommend PowerScore, Manhattan Prep, and The LSAT Trainer.
Any of the three would serve you much better.

Generally, I'd endorse self-study.
However, if you're the type to study better with a course, go with 7Sage;
it's $179 for three months, $349 for six, $549 for a year, and $749 for 18 months.

You should also get your hands on a lot, if not all, of PrepTests previous administered.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:10 pm

The advice Deardevil gave is pretty spot-on. I think tutoring is best for those who have either plateaued for a very long time or are looking to improve on small mechanical issues. Self-study is the way to go.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Deardevil wrote:Welcome, MangoPapi!

Not sure about Princeton, but LSAT For Dummies is definitely not the way to go...
I, and many others, would recommend PowerScore, Manhattan Prep, and The LSAT Trainer.

However, if you're the type to study better with a course, go with
7Sage;
it's $179 for three months, $349 for six, $549 for a year, and $749 for 18 months.

You should also get your hands on a lot, if not all, of PrepTests previous administered.

Agreed! 7Sage is a great and much cheaper alternative to an in-person class. 7Sage w/ The LSAT Trainer is what I would recommend to anyone at this point. I just can't see you going wrong with either one, or both for that matter.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Deardevil wrote:Welcome, MangoPapi!

However, if you're the type to study better with a course, go with 7Sage;

Bingo on all of this. Self-study isn't for everyone though. I know I wouldn't have done nearly as well on the SAT/ACT without private tutoring, but I'm choosing to self-study now because learning at that stage in my life taught me how to prepare for these kinds of tests so I don't feel like I need it any more. If you're having trouble getting into "standardized-test-taking mode" as I like to call it in my head, then a few weeks of tutoring or classes could help. If you're going that route, however, make sure you do research on the tutors/teachers themselves- find out what they got on the LSAT, where they went to law school, where they practiced law (if they even did either of those things), etc.

Also don't forget to buy as many PrepTests as you have time to take. Most people take 2 a week once they get to that stage of studying, but I've seen people say they take as many as 4 in a week. I personally plan on doing 2-3 every week with the occasional 1x or 4x a week depending on how busy I am.

edit: didn't realize he already said about PTs, whoops.

MangoPapi

New

Postby MangoPapi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. I knew I wasn't studying the right way with LSAT For Dummies haha. I'm assuming TestPreps are the e-books on the LSAT website, correct?

Since everyone agrees that 7sage/Manhattan Power are the best ways to go about studying for the LSAT (other than self study) I think I'll take a look and see what they have to offer. If anyone has any experience of taking either of those or any tutoring/private courses, please message me as I'd like to hear what your experience was like. Once again, I appreciate all your replies!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 pm

MangoPapi wrote:Hey everyone!

First off, this is my first time posting on here so I apologize in advance if the question I am about to ask has already been asked several times. I've looked around the forum for a bit and couldn't really find a helpful answer to my question which is why I'm posting but if there's already a thread that you think would help me, please do feel free to direct me there.

The way I've been studying for my LSAT have been through the Princeton Review and "LSAT For Dummies" books that are found in libraries. They often consist of strategies and techniques for each section followed by a few of the previous LSATS. I don't know how effective this method of preparing for the LSAT is hence why I'm writing this post. Hopefully someone can tell me some of the more practiced/efficient ways for preparing for the LSAT.

I've also briefly looked into LSAT prep courses such as Kaplan and I was considering signing up for one until I saw posts discussing how general Kaplan is and how it's a waste of your money since only a few people top out at a 150. Many posts were suggesting one on one tutoring as the better method however when I looked into one on one tutoring, (in Toronto) I only found some on kijiji and this one student who graduated from a top tier law school from here and is now offering classes. I've never heard of programs like Tutormaster and the sorts so if someone can direct me to some really good, reputable programs that deal with one on one tutoring, that would be amazing!

I know I'm asking for a lot and my thoughts are all over the place, I apologize for that. I'm just looking for answers as to what's the best way to go about studying for the LSAT. I'd prefer if you avoid replies such as "It's different for each person.." I'm looking for methods that on average help students. I'd also like confirmation whether prep courses like Kaplan are a waste of money and if I should rather direct my attention towards one on one tutoring?

Let me break down my perspective on the different studying options and who I think each one is best for. I've been teaching for Blueprint for a little over two years now, though I myself self studied for the test for 3 months back in 2013.

In-person prep courses: These are great for people who think they'd benefit from the structure and peer motivation that comes from enrolling in a class. The entire study plan is laid out for you, you have regular classes to attend, you have lots of potential study partners available, and you have at least one person (the teacher) who is an expert that you can consult when you need help or advice. A lot of students who are working part or full-time and don't have the time to put together their own study plan, or the energy to keep themselves motivated and consistently working without an outside influence, tend to get a lot out of prep courses. You also don't need to know anything about the LSAT prior to starting one, though even if you have started studying by yourself, going over everything comprehensively can really help you master the topics. You still have to put in plenty of effort yourself, but there are some excellent prep courses out there if you're willing to do a little digging.

Self-study: I went for self-study for three reasons: (1) I was living in a country where the LSAT isn't even administered at the time I was planning on studying for it, and (2) I prefer to move at my own pace when learning something, and (3) I learn best from reading books. Self-studying takes a LOT of motivation and patience. You need to be rigorous about sticking to your schedule, but you can't be too hard on yourself for making as much progress as you feel like you should. It's a balancing act, and the stress of that alone is why it's definitely not for some people. There are tons of internet resources out there that you can use to your benefit, along with some very solid prep books that should serve as your foundation. I think I certainly could have made more progress faster if I had a mentor of some kind to help me out once I started scoring in the upper ranges. It can be hard to diagnose your own mistakes and weaknesses.

Online courses: These are great in-between option for those who don't want to commit to an in-person course, but don't want to be completely on their own. Online courses will gives you a lot of the structure that regular classes do, though you have to motivate yourself to do the work consistently. It's essentially assisted self-study. Some courses give you access to an expert that you can email with specific questions as well.

One-on-one tutoring: This is a great option for people who have spent some time studying for the test already. Perhaps they have worked through some prep books, or completed a course, but they're not at the level that they want to be at. Private tutoring with an expert (make sure they've scored at least a 170 on an actual test, otherwise they're no expert) will pretty much always guarantee a score increase, in my experience. This person can help you identify your weaknesses, fill in the holes in your approach, give you lots of useful advanced tips, and help you tailor specific study plans. Tutoring tends to be expensive, which is why I don't recommend it to someone who hasn't done any LSAT prep. But if you're pressed for time, or stuck at a certain plateau, this is your best option.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:49 am

The resources folks mentioned above do seem to be winners.

The only thing I'd add is that it's important you evaluate how you learn best. I know you said you didn't want to hear "it differs by person". So I'll try not to say that and just add, if you know you are a terrible self-studier, then look into another option. Having the best resources in the world don't amount to much if you aren't strict on yourself about using them. Likewise if you zone out in in person classes and can't focus, then why pay for a high quality in person course? I see so many people say "well I never attend my regular classes but I swear I will for LSAT class". That promise tanks quickly and suddenly they are behind. So think about how you learn best and try pursuing options in that direction.

MangoPapi wrote:Hey everyone!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:52 am

If you like to work at your own pace, then definitely self study, it's what almost everyone on here does. If you have the money to blow then maybe consider a private tutor once you've gone through all your LSAT materials and know your weaknesses.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�