What is the difference between Powerscore bibles and powerscore workbooks?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
FayRays

New

What is the difference between Powerscore bibles and powerscore workbooks?

Postby FayRays » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Hey
So I know someone who is selling powescore bibles and power score workbooks for reasonable prices.

I already purchased the Lsat Trainer, so I was wondering, what is the difference between powerscore bibles book and powerscore workbook.
would it be useful to apply what I learn in the Lsat trainer to the powerscore workbook? do they only use real lsat questions in the workbook, do they provide explanation? What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your tips and suggestions.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: What is the difference between Powerscore bibles and powerscore workbooks?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:49 pm

FayRays wrote:Hey
So I know someone who is selling powescore bibles and power score workbooks for reasonable prices.

I already purchased the Lsat Trainer, so I was wondering, what is the difference between powerscore bibles book and powerscore workbook.
would it be useful to apply what I learn in the Lsat trainer to the powerscore workbook? do they only use real lsat questions in the workbook, do they provide explanation? What do you think?

"The PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Workbook™ is the ideal companion to the PowerScore Logic Games Bible™, providing an array of tools to help you master LSAT games. First, the book presents multiple drills to reinforce the concepts and approaches learned in the Logic Games Bible, developing your ability to quickly recognize and understand various game rules, situations, and concepts. Next, the Workbook challenges you with a variety of real LSAT Logic Games, including a discussion of the optimal setup for each game, with every rule and important logical inference discussed and diagrammed, and all of the questions answered and explained" -- This is from the Powerscore website.

So the difference is the bibles are where you will learn the strategies and the workbooks have drills with explanations.

Yes, what you learn in The LSAT Trainer will apply very nicely to the workbooks. However, Powerscore diagrams some logic games a little different, but you'll develop your own style of how you like to diagram different games.

If you have The LSAT Trainer, I would really also recommend following one of the free study schedules that are on the Lsat Trainer website for free. They have drills and practice sections and tests picked out. I'm using them both [LSAT Trainer/Powerscore Bibles] and they seem to work well together. I'd go through the LSAT Trainer first, and then use the Bibles to polish your skills.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:37 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:

"The PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Workbook™ is the ideal companion to the PowerScore Logic Games Bible™, providing an array of tools to help you master LSAT games. First, the book presents multiple drills to reinforce the concepts and approaches learned in the Logic Games Bible, developing your ability to quickly recognize and understand various game rules, situations, and concepts. Next, the Workbook challenges you with a variety of real LSAT Logic Games, including a discussion of the optimal setup for each game, with every rule and important logical inference discussed and diagrammed, and all of the questions answered and explained" -- This is from the Powerscore website.

So the difference is the bibles are where you will learn the strategies and the workbooks have drills with explanations.

Yes, what you learn in The LSAT Trainer will apply very nicely to the workbooks. However, Powerscore diagrams some logic games a little different, but you'll develop your own style of how you like to diagram different games.

If you have The LSAT Trainer, I would really also recommend following one of the free study schedules that are on the Lsat Trainer website for free. They have drills and practice sections and tests picked out. I'm using them both [LSAT Trainer/Powerscore Bibles] and they seem to work well together. I'd go through the LSAT Trainer first, and then use the Bibles to polish your skills.

Thank you so much for your thorough explanation, guess I'll better buy them then. :)

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 am

FayRays wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Thank you so much for your thorough explanation, guess I'll better buy them then. :)

Yes, I completely recommend the Bible and the workbooks should be helpful too, although I am not familiar with them. I think they have drill by type packets that may better serve you.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Don't buy the workbooks buy the Cambridge LSAT drill packets - you can print them out and reuse them.

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:29 pm

scalawag wrote:Don't buy the workbooks buy the Cambridge LSAT drill packets - you can print them out and reuse them.

'

Ok, that's a good advice, because I was worried about what happens when I use all my questions and I wanna answer them again.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:15 pm

FayRays wrote:
scalawag wrote:Don't buy the workbooks buy the Cambridge LSAT drill packets - you can print them out and reuse them.

'

Ok, that's a good advice, because I was worried about what happens when I use all my questions and I wanna answer them again.

Cambridge doesn't sell those anymore, if you're talking about the by type packets. Powerscore has by type drilling packets though, and they're really the only alternative, packets wise. OP, you can always get a hard copy and just not write in it, that's what I do. Just use a bubbling sheet or put numbers on a blank sheet of paper and you're good to use those questions in the future.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:22 pm

TheMikey wrote:
FayRays wrote:

'

Cambridge doesn't sell those anymore, if you're talking about the by type packets. Powerscore has by type drilling packets though, and they're really the only alternative, packets wise. OP, you can always get a hard copy and just not write in it, that's what I do. Just use a bubbling sheet or put numbers on a blank sheet of paper and you're good to use those questions in the future.

Yeah- I am using the Bibles and the Game Type/ QUestion Type packets. I decided not to buy the workbooks. I am sure the Workbooks are helpful, but I find getting to more questions from PTs organized by Type a better use of my time.

a_j_l

New

Postby a_j_l » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm

I accidentally purchased the LG Workbook instead of the LG Question Type Trainer. I can't imagine it will hurt (and now that I've bought it will probably go through most of it), but I also don't think it's worth the cost. So far, it's mostly a lot of the simplified "drills" (similar to the ones that they have throughout the LG Bible--so, set-up drills, making inferences from only one or two rules, etc.) with only a few full logic games. The explanations are useful, but given that there are ways to access other explanations for free, I would not recommend getting the LG Workbook.

For what it's worth, I also just took a look at the Game Type trainer and think I'm just going to purchase the prep tests and organize them into sections myself--the book with the more recent LGs (from prep test 21 - 40) is $44.99, and you can purchase most of those actual prep tests via two of the "10 more actual, official LSAT" series on Amazon for a total of $35 right now. Given that this means getting the full prep tests and not just LG, it seems to be a much better deal and worth the hassle of arranging questions myself. Just my $0.02.

FayRays

New

Postby FayRays » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:57 am

a_j_l wrote:I accidentally purchased the LG Workbook instead of the LG Question Type Trainer. I can't imagine it will hurt (and now that I've bought it will probably go through most of it), but I also don't think it's worth the cost. So far, it's mostly a lot of the simplified "drills" (similar to the ones that they have throughout the LG Bible--so, set-up drills, making inferences from only one or two rules, etc.) with only a few full logic games. The explanations are useful, but given that there are ways to access other explanations for free, I would not recommend getting the LG Workbook.

For what it's worth, I also just took a look at the Game Type trainer and think I'm just going to purchase the prep tests and organize them into sections myself--the book with the more recent LGs (from prep test 21 - 40) is $44.99, and you can purchase most of those actual prep tests via two of the "10 more actual, official LSAT" series on Amazon for a total of $35 right now. Given that this means getting the full prep tests and not just LG, it seems to be a much better deal and worth the hassle of arranging questions myself. Just my $0.02.

Thank you, the problem is that I my trying to prepare for the LSAT while I am studying. I mean not the real preparation which I plan to have like more than 3 months after I graduate, but I am trying study during this summer, and then while I am studying .. like half an hour to an hour each day, so it' would be hard to arrange these questions because the lack of time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?