Reviewing timed sections and PTs

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Reviewing timed sections and PTs

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Is it best to review timed sections and PTs over a course of a few days or in one day? It seems as if one shot reviews are not as cognitively impressionable as multi-day reviews.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Reviewing timed sections and PTs

Postby proteinshake » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm going to start reviewing over the course of the following day. I can't do them the same day without being lazy with it. I don't think you'd need more than 1 day but that also depends on how many questions you don't understand / got wrong.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:22 pm

If it's a single section then reviewing it the same day isn't so bad, it's what I usually do. Just give yourself some time in between to relax so you can get back into focus. If it's a full PT then review it the following day. You should definitely be giving yourself some relaxation time after taking a full length PT.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:24 pm

TheMikey wrote:If it's a single section then reviewing it the same day isn't so bad, it's what I usually do. Just give yourself some time in between to relax so you can get back into focus. If it's a full PT then review it the following day. You should definitely be giving yourself some relaxation time after taking a full length PT.

agreed with this. I also for get to mention: do NOT score your PT until after your review

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:30 pm

proteinshake wrote:
TheMikey wrote:If it's a single section then reviewing it the same day isn't so bad, it's what I usually do. Just give yourself some time in between to relax so you can get back into focus. If it's a full PT then review it the following day. You should definitely be giving yourself some relaxation time after taking a full length PT.

agreed with this. I also for get to mention: do NOT score your PT until after your review

I tend to PT, review, and score within a day. No good.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:34 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I mean, the only problem with this approach is that you're most likely not doing a thorough review. I used to PT and review right after and I didn't benefit much from it because I wouldn't actually go deep into each question. I would rush through it due to be being tired from PTing. Try out PTing and then reviewing the next day, but don't rush it. Really try to understand your reasoning for everything.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:45 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I mean, the only problem with this approach is that you're most likely not doing a thorough review. I used to PT and review right after and I didn't benefit much from it because I wouldn't actually go deep into each question. I would rush through it due to be being tired from PTing. Try out PTing and then reviewing the next day, but don't rush it. Really try to understand your reasoning for everything.

I'm assuming review even the questions that you are confident you answered correctly.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:49 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I'm assuming review even the questions that you are confident you answered correctly.

Yeah, at first you can do this because it allows you to assess your way of thinking when you got the answer correct with 100% confidence. As you do more and more PT, you can transition to thoroughly reviewing your wrong/least-confident questions only. Honestly, I still go over the questions I was 100% confident about, just to keep it in my mind WHY I chose to reason a certain way. But it's personal preference towards the end of your prep I suppose.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:30 am

proteinshake wrote:

So you take the PT, review it then score it the next day, then review the ones that you got wrong?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:36 am

proteinshake wrote:

So you take the PT, review it then score it the next day, then review the ones that you got wrong?

Sort of.

Take the PT--> (some people do this but you don't have to) IF you want to know your immediate score then input your answers into 7sage's scoring tool and just look at the score and not at what questions you got wrong --> take a break, you can BR 1 section the same day if you want but you'll be tired from the PT--> BR the sections the following day, usually you will circle/mark questions you weren't 100% on the answer, these will typically be the ones you focus on more, although you should probably review the entire test--> once done BRing, check the answers.

Take things into account such as having a higher BR score as opposed to your real timed score can mean you understand the content, but accuracy while being timed may be something you need to work on. Also for sure pay attention to patterns of what question types you get wrong. Once you figure out your biggest weakness, attack the crap out of those question types/game type, etc.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Sort of.

Take the PT--> (some people do this but you don't have to) IF you want to know your immediate score then input your answers into 7sage's scoring tool and just look at the score and not at what questions you got wrong --> take a break, you can BR 1 section the same day if you want but you'll be tired from the PT--> BR the sections the following day, usually you will circle/mark questions you weren't 100% on the answer, these will typically be the ones you focus on more, although you should probably review the entire test--> once done BRing, check the answers.

Take things into account such as having a higher BR score as opposed to your real timed score can mean you understand the content, but accuracy while being timed may be something you need to work on. Also for sure pay attention to patterns of what question types you get wrong. Once you figure out your biggest weakness, attack the crap out of those question types/game type, etc.

After you are done BRing and checking the answers, don't you review the questions you still got wrong? I imagine you would, as well as writing down the reasoning.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�