LSAT Advice; 163 on 1st take

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jrcox390

New

LSAT Advice; 163 on 1st take

Postby jrcox390 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 am

Quick background: I'm on year 2/2 of my job, one that requires me to travel 9 months straight during the year. I spent the first five months of this calendar year while traveling doing the Blueprint online course and took the June LSAT, scoring a 163. My LSAC GPA is a 3.73. I would like to re-take and get that somewhere up to a 167+, but I'm in a dilemma in terms of the re-take.

I will be hitting the road again in about a month and it's definitely a daunting task to think about studying again for the September test, but I also realize this is *probably* the best test in terms of getting in early apps. What do y'all suggest I do? And if/when I do re-take, what materials should I use? And with my GPA, what schools should I be looking into?

Thanks!

proteinshake

Gold

Re: LSAT Advice; 163 on 1st take

Postby proteinshake » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:50 am

you are very similar to me (numbers wise). I got a 163 my first take and broke 167+ my second take, and now I'm taking again to score higher. I reread the Trainer and Manhattan Prep books and drilled after every chapter, this took 2 months. now I'm taking 2-3 PTs and doing full sections and drills during the non-PT days. you can adjust this method in any way you see fit, but don't take in September if you don't think you are ready. you can take and apply in December in still be fine.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: LSAT Advice; 163 on 1st take

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:55 am

jrcox390 wrote:Quick background: I'm on year 2/2 of my job, one that requires me to travel 9 months straight during the year. I spent the first five months of this calendar year while traveling doing the Blueprint online course and took the June LSAT, scoring a 163. My LSAC GPA is a 3.73. I would like to re-take and get that somewhere up to a 167+, but I'm in a dilemma in terms of the re-take.

I will be hitting the road again in about a month and it's definitely a daunting task to think about studying again for the September test, but I also realize this is *probably* the best test in terms of getting in early apps. What do y'all suggest I do? And if/when I do re-take, what materials should I use? And with my GPA, what schools should I be looking into?

Thanks!

This is definitely the best test for you to take if you're planning on applying this cycle. Your other option is December, but then your apps won't be early, and if you don't do as well as you'd like, that'll have been your last chance. So it's better to treat December as a possible backup.

How many hours a day will you be able to devote to LSAT prep? Since you've already studied and learned the material, you wont have to do as much up front work. Your job will be to refresh your knowledge and really be thorough with the areas that you're weak in. Beyond that, it's mostly practice and careful review. Set up a schedule, but be reasonable. Make sure to devote some time to prep most days of the week, but don't push yourself to the point of burning out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�