Opinion on my study plan for retaking?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
brinicolec

Gold

Opinion on my study plan for retaking?

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm (re)reading LSAT Trainer, but think that the real issue is just with drilling and reviewing (I'm more of a kinesthetic learner than anything else, I believe) so I was thinking that the best way to prep for this retake would be to find some of the most difficult passages/questions/LGs and drill those while also doing some full tests the month of the test. I've also considered buying the Blueprint RC book (because RC is, and has been, my weakest section ever since I started studying for some stupid reason).

Basically, from now until the beg. of Sept., I'd be rereading LSAT Trainer (and maybe Blueprint) & drilling hard questions, mainly focusing on RC and LR but still some LG then in Sept., I'd take full-length tests and review those.

I got a 164 in June. Spread was -5 LG (but that seemed like more of an issue of me not being prepared to face LG in the first section because I was testing missing a max of 2 in practice tests), -7 RC, -8 LR (-6 in one section, -2 in the other --- idk what that happens to me).

Do you all think that sounds like a good plan to possibly get me the 6+ points I want?

mukol

Bronze

Re: Opinion on my study plan for retaking?

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:12 am

You can download the pdf of your exam from June right? And then you could look at the LR section you shit the bed on and see what question types you missed? Same with the one you only missed 2 on.

Then you could maybe study those pretty well for a week or two and be good to go.

#yolo

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:50 am

brinicolec wrote:I'm (re)reading LSAT Trainer, but think that the real issue is just with drilling and reviewing (I'm more of a kinesthetic learner than anything else, I believe) so I was thinking that the best way to prep for this retake would be to find some of the most difficult passages/questions/LGs and drill those while also doing some full tests the month of the test. I've also considered buying the Blueprint RC book (because RC is, and has been, my weakest section ever since I started studying for some stupid reason).

Basically, from now until the beg. of Sept., I'd be rereading LSAT Trainer (and maybe Blueprint) & drilling hard questions, mainly focusing on RC and LR but still some LG then in Sept., I'd take full-length tests and review those.

I got a 164 in June. Spread was -5 LG (but that seemed like more of an issue of me not being prepared to face LG in the first section because I was testing missing a max of 2 in practice tests), -7 RC, -8 LR (-6 in one section, -2 in the other --- idk what that happens to me).

Do you all think that sounds like a good plan to possibly get me the 6+ points I want?

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. You can use your preptests to get a sense of which LR question types are giving you the most trouble, and drill/review more of those. As for RC, I'm obviously a fan of the Blueprint book, but I'd like to say that in general, you can only get so good at RC without a good strategy. Working through a new book that gives you a new perspective on the section may be exactly what you need to get a sense of what's been missing from your approach.

I'm a big fan of focusing on hard questions - they train you to really be on the lookout for small details, and make working on simpler questions easier as well. I'd also recommend doing the occasional question sprints (doing something like 10 questions in a set number of minutes), to keep things fresh.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I'm (re)reading LSAT Trainer, but think that the real issue is just with drilling and reviewing (I'm more of a kinesthetic learner than anything else, I believe) so I was thinking that the best way to prep for this retake would be to find some of the most difficult passages/questions/LGs and drill those while also doing some full tests the month of the test. I've also considered buying the Blueprint RC book (because RC is, and has been, my weakest section ever since I started studying for some stupid reason).

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. You can use your preptests to get a sense of which LR question types are giving you the most trouble, and drill/review more of those. As for RC, I'm obviously a fan of the Blueprint book, but I'd like to say that in general, you can only get so good at RC without a good strategy. Working through a new book that gives you a new perspective on the section may be exactly what you need to get a sense of what's been missing from your approach.

I'm a big fan of focusing on hard questions - they train you to really be on the lookout for small details, and make working on simpler questions easier as well. I'd also recommend doing the occasional question sprints (doing something like 10 questions in a set number of minutes), to keep things fresh.

Since I took the June LSAT, would you recommend looking at it to see which QTs I've been missing rather than self-admin PTs?

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:50 pm

mukol wrote:You can download the pdf of your exam from June right? And then you could look at the LR section you shit the bed on and see what question types you missed? Same with the one you only missed 2 on.

Then you could maybe study those pretty well for a week or two and be good to go.

#yolo

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Since I took the June LSAT, would you recommend looking at it to see which QTs I've been missing rather than self-admin PTs?

I think you should focus on doing that before jumping into preptests, definitely. PTs are good for building endurance and confidence under pressure, but if you want to actually work on your accuracy, you need to take the time to methodically examine your approach to certain question types. Go over your methods, drill practice problems, and take your time reviewing them. See if there's anything that you've been neglecting in your previous approach.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I think you should focus on doing that before jumping into preptests, definitely. PTs are good for building endurance and confidence under pressure, but if you want to actually work on your accuracy, you need to take the time to methodically examine your approach to certain question types. Go over your methods, drill practice problems, and take your time reviewing them. See if there's anything that you've been neglecting in your previous approach.

Well, I've come across a problem. Based on my June LSAT, there's really no specific question type that's particularly problematic (LR). It was like a spread of missing one of different types of questions... Any suggestion what to do now?!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:33 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Well, I've come across a problem. Based on my June LSAT, there's really no specific question type that's particularly problematic (LR). It was like a spread of missing one of different types of questions... Any suggestion what to do now?!

One thing you could do is focus on drilling difficult LR questions. LR questions get more difficult later on in a section (qs 15-25 are the "hard" ones), and harder questions demand closer attention to detail and more complicated reasoning than easier ones. So you could try focusing on drilling these, taking your time to work through them and their intricacies. When you review any question you got wrong, you should go over each answer choice and be able to articulate why it's right or wrong. And you should try and determine why you got the question wrong, and if there's larger concept or trick that you've been missing.

If the LR questions you get wrong are completely random, as in you get some easy ones wrong, some hard ones wrong, and that changes from test to test, then maintaining concentration may be an issue.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�