Reading Comp. Ideal notation frequency? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SunDevil14

Bronze

Reading Comp. Ideal notation frequency?

Post by SunDevil14 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 pm

I am curious what others, especially top test takers, consider to be an ideal frequency for marking up the Reading comprehension section of the test.

My prep materials have outlined but have not taken a stance on which is better:

Heavy notations
Moderate notations
Light notations

I suppose to some extent that frequencies of notations will depend on the strengths of the test takers.

Is it plausible/advisable to make no notations? Personally I find that my strength is comprehension, and my weakness speed. I tend to believe that I can get through the passage faster without making any notations and still retain the majority of the relevant information as well as the location. I feel that making a bunch of notations can be distracting and too time consuming, but I am worried I may be shooting myself in the foot If I do not mark up the passage.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Reading Comp. Ideal notation frequency?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:06 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:I am curious what others, especially top test takers, consider to be an ideal frequency for marking up the Reading comprehension section of the test.

Heavy notations
Moderate notations
Light notations

I suppose to some extent that frequencies of notations will depend on the strengths of the test takers.

Is it plausible/advisable to make no notations? Personally I find that my strength is comprehension, and my weakness speed. I tend to believe that I can get through the passage faster without making any notations and still retain the majority of the relevant information as well as the location. I feel that making a bunch of notations can be distracting and too time consuming, but I am worried I may be shooting myself in the foot If I do not mark up the passage.

Do what you think works for you! When it comes to RC there are tons of opinions and they all come down to people doing what they feel comfortable with and what gives them the best results. From what you're saying, you seem like you don't really need notations. If you think you can retain the relevant info without notation and feel they will be too distracting and time consuming, that is probably because they are for you. But people who notate usually get quicker as they get more practice. So you're thinking might stem from not having yet got used to it.

I think you should try to do a few sections of RC and try to notate a bit. I am using the LSAT Trainer and Manhattan RC and both seem to suggest notating certain things like author's viewpoint and other important things. I haven't studied RC in earnest, but I don't think it would hurt to try a new approach. See how you like it and perhaps the time you spend notating will save time on questions?

I think universally most people who advise against heavy notations. Moderate to light--lighter being better--is probably the consensus.

The only other thing I would say is that if you are doing well with RC overall, I wouldn't personally start messing with what is working. It might just be you need more practice. RC is a hard section to make improvement on, so sometimes we are inclined to switch strategies because we feel like the results aren't coming in as quick as we would like. How many per section do you miss on RC? How long have you been working on it?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

RC is a lot like LG in that a good setup can make the difference between you breezing through the questions pertaining to a passage
and you getting stumped on several problems. Even in LR, I find myself needing to mark stuff up to efficiently go with my selections.
It's good that your strength lies in comprehension, so you might not need to outline as much. What about definitions?
You might need to underline or circle where certain key words are, and they're scattered all over the place.
You'll save more time knowing exactly where definitions are situated rather than scanning the passage to locate them.

I think moderate notation is the way to go.
You certainly don't want irrelevant information eating precious time or too little that you have to waste time going back to the passage for.
It's as with Goldilocks, imo: not too hot and not too cold, but just right.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

If you think no notation works for you go for it.

I personally didn't study for RC, and didn't use any sort of underlining/notation, and -0'd it. But, I knew RC was a strength for me. YRMV.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:I am curious what others, especially top test takers, consider to be an ideal frequency for marking up the Reading comprehension section of the test.

Heavy notations
Moderate notations
Light notations

Do what you think works for you! When it comes to RC there are tons of opinions and they all come down to people doing what they feel comfortable with and what gives them the best results. From what you're saying, you seem like you don't really need notations. If you think you can retain the relevant info without notation and feel they will be too distracting and time consuming, that is probably because they are for you. But people who notate usually get quicker as they get more practice. So you're thinking might stem from not having yet got used to it.

I think you should try to do a few sections of RC and try to notate a bit. I am using the LSAT Trainer and Manhattan RC and both seem to suggest notating certain things like author's viewpoint and other important things. I haven't studied RC in earnest, but I don't think it would hurt to try a new approach. See how you like it and perhaps the time you spend notating will save time on questions?

I think universally most people who advise against heavy notations. Moderate to light--lighter being better--is probably the consensus.

The only other thing I would say is that if you are doing well with RC overall, I wouldn't personally start messing with what is working. It might just be you need more practice. RC is a hard section to make improvement on, so sometimes we are inclined to switch strategies because we feel like the results aren't coming in as quick as we would like. How many per section do you miss on RC? How long have you been working on it?
I have just started focusing on RC. I spent the majority of my focus of the first month of studying to LG and LR. Currently, I miss around 4 give or a take on the handful of practice tests I take. I am not sure if the initial hump familiarizing myself with notations, is causing issues, or if I am just better off with little to no notations. I suppose time will tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:16 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Heavy notations
Moderate notations
Light notations

I have just started focusing on RC. I spent the majority of my focus of the first month of studying to LG and LR. Currently, I miss around 4 give or a take on the handful of practice tests I take. I am not sure if the initial hump familiarizing myself with notations, is causing issues, or if I am just better off with little to no notations. I suppose time will tell.
Yeah I feel you. I think you have the exact right attitude; time will indeed tell. I think you should try starting off notating lightly and see if it is helping you. You can always start to notate less if it doesn't.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Heavy notations
Moderate notations
Light notations

I think there's something to be said for using heavy/moderate notation early on in your prep, and weaning yourself off of this as you continue to practice. Notation is very useful for breaking down passages and learning to read for structure. To some extent, however, your goal is to internalize this, and not really heavily on what you've written. I'm of the camp that light notation is a goal that nearly everyone should strive for, but it does come down to preference, and in any case, shouldn't be rushed or forced.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the guys. I felt to better assess the topic, I post some hard numbers and stats below.
Last edited by SunDevil14 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:47 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Thanks for the guys. I felt to better assess the topic, I post some hard numbers and stats below.

According to the Powerscore RC Bible:
25-30% Specific Reference Questions. (Question that cite a specific set of lines or portion of the text)
25-30% Concept Reference Questions. (Questions that ask about more specific ideas/details, the location of which is not cited in the question stem)
40-50% Global Questions. (Questions that ask about the passage as a whole)

Assuming that each passage has an average of 7 questions, the average breakdown is:
2 Specific Reference
2 Concept Reference
3 Global

Assuming one is a strong content reader, Global questions can be answered without returning to the text so the benefit of citations are minimal. Furthermore, the specific reference questions more often than not point you to where the information needed to answer the question lies. Once, again the benefit is minimal. Generally speaking the most benefit yielded by notating are on the Concept Reference questions, where one may use additional time to find/confirm the answer in the text.So the kicker is 2/7 questions on average highly reward notating, generally speaking.

When notating, I complete the passage on average in 4 minutes. Through with more practice notating could likely shave 30-45 seconds.

Without notating, I complete the passage on average in 2 minutes, and tend to comprehend more of the passage. Once again comprehension will improve with notating given more practice.

So in sum, I am confident I can scan the passage and find the answer to 2/7 questions mentioned above in less than two minutes, especially if I have a better degree of comprehension on the front end. Where I get bogged down on time is with the no notation is approach are the times that I am unable to find the information in less than two minutes, therefore spend too much time on the question. Fortunately this is happening less, and less. Additionally, my goal of 170+ allows for a few wrong on each section. Therefore, I just skip the few troublesome questions and make an educated guess at the end of the passage. The detriment to the notating approach is that I often find myself lacking the amount of time needed to give the final passage the appropriate amount of attention.

I will do more experimenting with the two approaches. Just wanted to share the data to get some input and potentially help others that have similar concerns.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:03 am

SunDevil14 wrote:Thanks for the guys. I felt to better assess the topic, I post some hard numbers and stats below.

According to the Powerscore RC Bible:
25-30% Specific Reference Questions. (Question that cite a specific set of lines or portion of the text)
25-30% Concept Reference Questions. (Questions that ask about more specific ideas/details, the location of which is not cited in the question stem)
40-50% Global Questions. (Questions that ask about the passage as a whole)

Assuming that each passage has an average of 7 questions, the average breakdown is:
2 Specific Reference
2 Concept Reference
3 Global

Assuming one is a strong content reader, Global questions can be answered without returning to the text so the benefit of citations are minimal. Furthermore, the specific reference questions more often than not point you to where the information needed to answer the question lies. Once, again the benefit is minimal. Generally speaking the most benefit yielded by notating are on the Concept Reference questions, where one may use additional time to find/confirm the answer in the text.So the kicker is 2/7 questions on average highly reward notating, generally speaking.

When notating, I complete the passage on average in 4 minutes. Through with more practice notating could likely shave 30-45 seconds.

Without notating, I complete the passage on average in 2 minutes, and tend to comprehend more of the passage. Once again comprehension will improve with notating given more practice.

So in sum, I am confident I can scan the passage and find the answer to 2/7 questions mentioned above in less than two minutes, especially if I have a better degree of comprehension on the front end. Where I get bogged down on time is with the no notation is approach are the times that I am unable to find the information in less than two minutes, therefore spend too much time on the question. Fortunately this is happening less, and less. Additionally, my goal of 170+ allows for a few wrong on each section. Therefore, I just skip the few troublesome questions and make an educated guess at the end of the passage. The detriment to the notating approach is that I often find myself lacking the amount of time needed to give the final passage the appropriate amount of attention.

I will do more experimenting with the two approaches. Just wanted to share the data to get some input and potentially help others that have similar concerns.
mukol wrote: If you think no notation works for you go for it.
So basically what this guy said. :roll:

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Post by PhiladelphiaCollins » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 am

There was some post around here in one of the prep compendiums that advocated for NO notation, and jotting down a quick summary of each paragraph after you're done reading it. While I don't follow it religiously, I've been doing it for the past couple months and my score has jumped to around the 22-25 sort of range.

One thing I've found is that all the underlining/boxing kind of messes up your flow while you're reading and makes it harder to go back and re-read

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 pm

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:There was some post around here in one of the prep compendiums that advocated for NO notation, and jotting down a quick summary of each paragraph after you're done reading it. While I don't follow it religiously, I've been doing it for the past couple months and my score has jumped to around the 22-25 sort of range.

One thing I've found is that all the underlining/boxing kind of messes up your flow while you're reading and makes it harder to go back and re-read
I tend to agree with the concept of flow, and stream of consciousness while reading. I find that taking a brief pause at the end of paragraphs to make a quick mental summary, and anticipate the direction of following paragraph helps with overall comprehension. Furthermore, the time saved by not notating allows for one to make a purposeful and reflective pause/assessment rather than you that is rushed and hectic.

Manhattan Prep RC uses a pretty helpful acronym: PEAR
-Pause
-Evaluate
-Anticipate
-Reassess

Process is helpful for maintain an active reading mindset and comprehending key ideas. It takes about 10 seconds at the end of each paragraph.

-3 on the most recent PT with not notations. The, "Each of the following is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT:" questions are such a time waster. I am considering skipping those questions all together unless the correct answer pops out at a first glance. At which point I can return to do the time sink route check list after I have answered all other questions for the 4 passages.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”