BR - Writing Out LR Explanations

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

BR - Writing Out LR Explanations

Postby RamTitan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 pm

It's a common practice to write out explanations for LR problems one missed or felt iffy on; why each choice is wrong, why the right one is right, etc. I did this for about 4 months before the June LSAT, and while I believe it helped cement my understanding for LR, I did not see that understanding translate into more points.

So after this weekend's practice test, I've decided when I BR that I'm not going to write out my thought process, and instead intensely think about it in my head when going over the problems. I think this may help internalize the process more. Thoughts?

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: BR - Writing Out LR Explanations

Postby Deardevil » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:11 pm

I second that methodology, as it can contribute to better critical, on-the-spot thinking skills.
For each problem, I read every AC and underline anything that strikes me as odd, resulting in a "ban."
To lead to such a decision, I would quickly tell myself why I need to exclude the choice as a contender.
When all is said and done, the remaining choice without any marks/doubts is the one I go with.

Although you'll obviously be unable to write out explanations on the actual test, if you do get a significant amount of Qs wrong,
I still think it's a good idea to jot down the hardest ones that you don't fully understand and work on them until you do.
That way, you keep a log on the problems that cause the most frustration for you to eventually overcome.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: BR - Writing Out LR Explanations

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm

RamTitan wrote:It's a common practice to write out explanations for LR problems one missed or felt iffy on; why each choice is wrong, why the right one is right, etc. I did this for about 4 months before the June LSAT, and while I believe it helped cement my understanding for LR, I did not see that understanding translate into more points.

So after this weekend's practice test, I've decided when I BR that I'm not going to write out my thought process, and instead intensely think about it in my head when going over the problems. I think this may help internalize the process more. Thoughts?

I'd second thinking over writing. It should help you to internalize the process more, as you said, which will be more useful to you in a real testing situation. Plus, you'll save time during your prep, which means you'll have time to tackle more material.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�