Where do you study?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

Re: Where do you study?

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:38 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:
bmathers wrote:For the Feb LSAT, i prepped like crazy - pulling some of those 6-10 hr days. My score on PT's went up 10 scaled points, and I was feeling decent up until about a week before the actual LSAT. I burned out and got the same score on my LSAT as I got on my very first diagnostic PT.

For June, I prepped very lightly, taking a good month or two off to recover from the Feb LSAT. I wanted to make sure that I didn't burn out, and scored 5 scaled point higher on the June LSAT than on the Feb LSAT.

Be very careful about studying too much. Relax, be confident, and do your best. more than 2 hrs in one session is too much, you'll lose focus (except if doing a PT).

Is drilling and reviewing a question type for at least three hours too much?

No; I'd say that's expected.

What I meant by burnout is that did you drop all of a sudden in your score? Or have you always had difficulties with games?

Be reassured though that games is initially the hardest, but as you do more of them, it becomes the easiest section.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:04 pm

I was always advised to keep individual sessions down to 2 hours (maybe 2-3, if need be). That's sessions, not days. For example - You could do an AM session, take a break, then do a PM session. Or a session, take a break, session, take a break, session, if you REALLY wanted to and the test was getting close.

Games are fun, once you get the hang of them and proper sketching. Without a good sketch, you're toast. With one, pieces fall together.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:12 pm

I plan on getting there.

I'm assuming it's the norm to re-do questions when drilling a question type just as logic games are re-done?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:In your room? Library? Bookstore? Jail cell?

I've heard the theory that you should train yourself in a noisy environment, like a coffee shop, in order to learn to block out distractions. I don't really agree with this take. To the extent that you can replicate test day conditions, you ought to do that. Unless the proctors are incompetent or something out of the ordinary happens, test day is going to be quiet enough to hear the proverbial pin drop. At the very least, when you're taking full practice exams, you should do it in a quiet environment, preferably a library rather than at home.

Even outside of replicating testing conditions, you should study where and how you will accomplish the most and internalize what you're learning. If you're doing that at a coffee shop, you may get better at blocking out distractions, or you may just be degrading the value of your study time.

Of course, coffee is a huge part of studying, so make sure you've got plenty, no matter where you are. Tell the librarian to take a hike if he/she tells you the coffee has to go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?