tips on how to go from 170 to solid 175s?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

tips on how to go from 170 to solid 175s?

Postby lawschoolgirl312 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Does anyone have any tips on how to get over the 170 hump?

I have been missing ~5 on reading comps and ~5 on logical reasoning every PT and the questions types are all different, it just really comes down if i understood at the time what the stimulus was asking or not. but i feel like im going in circles at this point because I am not sure how to improve

proteinshake

Gold

Re: tips on how to go from 170 to solid 175s?

Postby proteinshake » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:48 pm

are the 5 you're missing in RC/LR all hard or mostly hard questions? if so, you probably need to work on questions that are more difficult and make sure you reflect on your logic during BR. I'm in the same position as you (trying to break 175), but I haven't got into the PT phase of my studies just yet.

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Postby lawschoolgirl312 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:00 pm

yah, its mostly all the hard questions... :(

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:04 pm

motivational answer? The same way you go from 150 to 170. Real answer? Hopefully its a test on test day that doesn't have 2-4 particular questions that you struggle with more than others. Its a lot about luck to minimize 2-3 answers. But thats usually from 175-180. From 170 you can surely get to 175 consistently.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to get over the 170 hump?

I have been missing ~5 on reading comps and ~5 on logical reasoning every PT and the questions types are all different, it just really comes down if i understood at the time what the stimulus was asking or not. but i feel like im going in circles at this point because I am not sure how to improve

For LR, start drilling lots of difficult questions. Late in my prep, I used to put together sections composed of the last 10 questions in 2-3 LR sections, and work on those. These forced me to get comfortable with more challenging questions and stimuli. They were intense, but the experience made me a closer reader, and improved my endurance. It's sort of like lifting heavy weights - once I went back to regular LR sections on preptests, they were a lot more manageable.

For RC, continue to practice and focus on reading for structure. Don't rush through passages, but take a few seconds to think about what you've read after each paragraph. Ask yourself if you have any clues regarding the main point, author's attitude, or perspectives on the issue. Make reading the passages as active a process as possible, and you'll find it much easier to grasp the information presented. One realization I had very late in my prep was that RC passages aren't very long, and don't have a huge amount of variation either. That might sound obvious or trite, but it took a lot of practicing active reading for me to really believe that.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
lawschoolgirl312 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to get over the 170 hump?

For LR, start drilling lots of difficult questions. Late in my prep, I used to put together sections composed of the last 10 questions in 2-3 LR sections, and work on those. These forced me to get comfortable with more challenging questions and stimuli. They were intense, but the experience made me a closer reader, and improved my endurance. It's sort of like lifting heavy weights - once I went back to regular LR sections on preptests, they were a lot more manageable.

For RC, continue to practice and focus on reading for structure. Don't rush through passages, but take a few seconds to think about what you've read after each paragraph. Ask yourself if you have any clues regarding the main point, author's attitude, or perspectives on the issue. Make reading the passages as active a process as possible, and you'll find it much easier to grasp the information presented. One realization I had very late in my prep was that RC passages aren't very long, and don't have a huge amount of variation either. That might sound obvious or trite, but it took a lot of practicing active reading for me to really believe that.

God damn Blueprint, you beautiful man you; great advice.

I literally just started doing this with LR....hoping to see some results within the next few months.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Are you still checking the logic behind why your answers were wrong? I think a habit we get into deeper into our prep is to check our answers and be like "aww man I got that one wrong", mark it and keep going. Don't forget to really dissect why your answer was wrong and why the right one was right. Preferably, you wanna have that "Ohhhh , I see how they got there" moment with each wrong answer you check. If you don't, then its just going to keep consistently happening and you'll never improve because you're never really absorbing what's causing you to get wrong answers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�