Bad Sign If I'm Struggling With Simple Ordering Games? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180orDie

New

Bad Sign If I'm Struggling With Simple Ordering Games?

Post by 180orDie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:58 pm

I hear this is merely the jumping off point for logic games, but I'm finding even these difficult to master. I'm using the Cambridge drilling packets and after a couple weeks of practicing these I'm still struggling with even the lower difficulty questions. Is this a bad sign?

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Bad Sign If I'm Struggling With Simple Ordering Games?

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:00 pm

180orDie wrote:I hear this is merely the jumping off point for logic games, but I'm finding even these difficult to master. I'm using the Cambridge drilling packets and after a couple weeks of practicing these I'm still struggling with even the lower difficulty questions. Is this a bad sign?
It probably just means you need to find another technique . I used Blueprint's method and it really helped me, and I SUCKED at logic games when I started.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Don't fret; this is normal. PowerScore's methods helped me a lot.
It all comes down to the diagram. Linear games are as basic as they get.
Once you grasp the rules, put forth your slots/spaces and fill them in as much as you can.
Often, the rules may only give one variable that definitely has to go in a specific spot.
As for the rest, you should determine where they can't go.
For instance, if J has to be before K, that automatically means K cannot be first, as J as to precede it,
and, similarly, J cannot be last if K were to succeed it. This causes restrictions in said areas;
when an area cannot have this, that, this, and that, very few variables can go into it,
and you can usually pinpoint which one(s) are able to occupy the space when you expand your setup.

Mr. Momo

New

Post by Mr. Momo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Check out 7sage's video explanations for LGs on youtube. They're free, and could be helpful for you!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 pm

180orDie wrote:I hear this is merely the jumping off point for logic games, but I'm finding even these difficult to master. I'm using the Cambridge drilling packets and after a couple weeks of practicing these I'm still struggling with even the lower difficulty questions. Is this a bad sign?
Without knowing the particulars of your case, it may be that you need to start with building blocks rather than jumping in to full games. Drilling fundamental concepts is very important, with ordering and grouping and, really, any other concept you will face on test day.

With simple ordering (what my company calls "pure ordering"), one of the most important things is to be meticulous about putting restrictions into your diagram. For example, in a game with there are seven runners in a race, and a rule tells you that runner Y finishes before runners Q,R, and Z, it's important to represent in your diagram that Y can't finish in places 5, 6, and 7 because there won't be room for the other runners. This may seem ridiculously elementary, but the point is not so much the concept as it is being meticulous in your setup before you attack the questions. If there are five pure ordering rules like that, you may spend significant time getting all the restrictions into place, but it'll free you up when you get to the questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”