you CAN improve until the very last week!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bergotte

New

you CAN improve until the very last week!

Postby bergotte » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 am

hey. just got my June LSAT score of 175 (first scored exam, canceled February LSAT, will not retake this) so I wanted to make a quick post confirming an intuition I had but which seemed virtually unrepresented in the forums I lurked in.

I was scoring 169-172 well into May. this is not my target score, i really needed a 175-180 to apply to HYS with my GPA. I was feeling kinda dark because the prevailing wisdom was that you will reach your target/plateau scores about a month before your LSAT. the very last week of May, maybe 12 days before the test, I scored my first 176. Hooray! But I was running out of practice tests since I've been studying intermittently since December. I started to do sets of timed sections only (like, 3 LR in a row) after this and my accuracy just kept going up. I would constantly get -5/6 on LR's and in the LAST TEN DAYS my accuracy improved SO much, and I only got -1 on each LR in the real June LSAT! This was better than basically every PT *ever.* Same thing with LG. My timing and inferences really coalesced in the last two weeks and I was zipping through the games with time to spare.

To be fair, I had been drilling, doing stacked sections, question-type practice, etc for about 3 months at this point. but i was NOT seeing the accuracy gains at all until the last two weeks. something about the momentum of a looming test, elimination of responsibilities at work (not sustainable over long-term, but who cares if I did subpar work for a couple weeks), and more exercise kicked my brain into the zone.

do NOT listen to people who tell you to accept a plateau. in the last two weeks, i must have done 6-7 PT's (either whole, or franken-tests with 5 spliced sections) and it absolutely changed everything for me. i was solidly in the 174-179 range by this time and I felt good about that.

very important though -- the two days before the exam (saturday and sunday) i did a couple sections, very relaxed, and just treated myself to a combo of seamless, expensive exercise classes, and movies. (blew my social budget from not going out for 2 weekends in a row lol.) it worked like a charm. i felt so amazing the day of the test -- and no, i did not lose my short-won mastery at all. idk i was just playing it by ear but it felt right. a total change from my disastrous february test that i canceled before i even left the room.

on the real test, I got -0 LG, -2 LR, and (this fucking blows but i'm not gonna troll about it, it happens, although this was unusual for me) -3 RC. this was absolutely unthinkable until Memorial Weekend.

feel free to PM if you read this before some future exam, but all i'm saying is, sometimes the conventional wisdom is wrong. you can definitely make gains in accuracy and timing all the way up to the test date! practice as much as you want, cramming works sometimes!

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: you CAN improve until the very last week!

Postby Deardevil » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am

Way to go, bergotte!

I'm glad you hit the mark. The desperation really came through, huh?
Hopefully, this happens to me as well since I plan on PTing the 70s at the last minute to get an accurate sense of my test day score.
LR has been a thorn in my side, and I have no idea where I am with RC yet. These next few months will need a lot of dedication.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 am

That's unreal. I'm definitely going to try the 3 straight LR sections or something of that sort because my timing is absolutely killing me right now.

bergotte

New

Postby bergotte » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:01 pm

@deardevil the weird thing was i wasn't even really feeling desperate! i kind of was in february, but once i canceled and accepted that i had to take it in june, i was very calm and "all in" because i KNEW i would not retake it under any circumstances... because 6 months is JUST ABOUT ENOUGH life to spend on a standardized test haha. so with the idea that this would be my one and done -- and the knowledge that i would absolutely run out of PT's after this attempt lmao -- i was much more relaxed.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Congrats on an awesome score!!! Enjoy Harvard my friend..

What prep materials did you use, if I may ask?

:D
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergotte

New

Postby bergotte » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm

thanks! I used powerscore LG and LR bibles; power score "logic games by question type" and "LR by question type;" and LSAC "Super-Prep"

I also bought every prep test available from LSAT (the "real lsat" exam books) and used them both for PT's and drilling (based on question type/game type lists on lsatblog and 7sage)

did not get any specific materials for RC but would drill sets of passages for timing. idk my performance on this was very unpredictable, constantly fluctuated from -0 to -4. perhaps there are books out there for this but consensus seems that it's the hardest section to improve on. the superprep book gives some insight into LSAC reasoning in devising these passages though.

that's it!

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 pm

We seem to have an identical approach.
I'm on the SuperPrep right now. Have access to all the PTs, too.
Which did you drill? I'm looking at perhaps 35/40 and below.
And how do you separate the questions by type?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�