When to start studying for re-take

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BigBear

New

When to start studying for re-take

Postby BigBear » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi All,

I just got my scores back from the June LSAT. To give some back ground I began studying 10 weeks before the test with a 154 diagnostics. A few weeks out from the test I was pt'ing anywhere from a 168 to a 172 consistently. Test day jitters, burnout, and a pretty terrible testing room (7x7 desks, movie theater seats crammed between two people) I think all contributed to my poor performance of a 160. Up until this point I've only used self study mainly the trainer and crammed with the LG Bible when I realized the trainer wasn't strong in that area.

I decided that a Powerscore Course is the way to go and have registered for a course going from August 2 to 3 days before the September LSAT. My question is, what I should do in the meantime? The Powerscore site says not to do anything and I'm wondering if that's the route I should take? Ideally I would like to score in the low 170's as I have 3.85 GPA and I feel as though that will go to waste without a comparable LSAT score. Any advice on what to do over the next month would be appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. if you've registered for a test at NOVA Annandale and are still able to change it I would highly recommend doing so.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: When to start studying for re-take

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:55 pm

BigBear wrote:Hi All,

I just got my scores back from the June LSAT. To give some back ground I began studying 10 weeks before the test with a 154 diagnostics. A few weeks out from the test I was pt'ing anywhere from a 168 to a 172 consistently. Test day jitters, burnout, and a pretty terrible testing room (7x7 desks, movie theater seats crammed between two people) I think all contributed to my poor performance of a 160. Up until this point I've only used self study mainly the trainer and crammed with the LG Bible when I realized the trainer wasn't strong in that area.

I decided that a Powerscore Course is the way to go and have registered for a course going from August 2 to 3 days before the September LSAT. My question is, what I should do in the meantime? The Powerscore site says not to do anything and I'm wondering if that's the route I should take? Ideally I would like to score in the low 170's as I have 3.85 GPA and I feel as though that will go to waste without a comparable LSAT score. Any advice on what to do over the next month would be appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. if you've registered for a test at NOVA Annandale and are still able to change it I would highly recommend doing so.

I think you should get back to practicing ASAP. Maintain your skills at the level they were at before you took the June test, and you'll be in great shape come September. You studied for 10 weeks - I'm impressed that you were able to improve your PT score by that much in such a short time. However, given that you learned the material in such a brief time frame, you're going to forget a lot of what you learned if you don't keep practicing consistently. Despite the circumstances, LSAT skills tend to wane when they are disused. That course you'll be taking will serve as good review, but don't rely on it to boost your score. You need to put in the legwork yourself, starting now.

Bourbon Democrat

New

Postby Bourbon Democrat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 pm

I don't have any advice for you, but I want to post in solidarity with your struggles. I was in the same room as you in NOVA Annandale. It's absolutely shameful that LSAC let us take the test in those conditions. I tested well below my PT average and will be retaking as well.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Listen to Blueprint; he's almost always right (maybe always?).

If you want to score in the 170s, you're going to have to do more than take a course.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

BigBear wrote:Hi All,

I had similar starting diagnostics and scored a 160 as well. PT's in the low 160's though. Continue with self study, though the course would not hurt. I'd say to start prepping at least 3 months before the test. As far as additional material, perhaps you could check out powerscore workbooks and the question type books by powerscore. You seem to like their explanations, and since you appear to have a solid foundation, the workbooks provide a quick review and drilling. The question type books will help you improve weakness.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�