LSAT Diagnostic and prep

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nyu2018

New

LSAT Diagnostic and prep

Postby nyu2018 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:16 pm

EDIT:

Took a timed diagnostic test.

LR: 18/25 (attempted 22)
16/25 (attempted 21)
LG: 19/24 (attempted 21 hehe)
RC: 14/27 (attempted 21)

Scaled score: 156, raw score: 67

Hey!

I just took a diagnostic test. I've practiced a few sections before which should add up to one test, so you can say that this is my 2nd diagnostic test.

RC: 24/27 (42 mins)
LR1: 20/25 (40 mins)
LR2: 21/25 (41 mins)
LG: 11/24 (45 mins)

This came out to a 163. I am gonna be graduating in January 2018 and will be applying for Fall 2018. When should I take the LSAT? Also, how much should I expect my score to go up? I heard that LG is the most learnable/gameable section and that lots of folks only miss 0/1 on it. Can I achieve that even though my starting point is very low?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by nyu2018 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcat4life87

New

Re: LSAT Diagnostic and prep

Postby mcat4life87 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Any reason you did this untimed?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:26 pm

nyu2018 wrote:Hey!

I just took a diagnostic test. I've practiced a few sections before which should add up to one test, so you can say that this is my 2nd diagnostic test.

This came out to a 163. I am gonna be graduating in January 2018 and will be applying for Fall 2018. When should I take the LSAT? Also, how much should I expect my score to go up? I heard that LG is the most learnable/gameable section and that lots of folks only miss 0/1 on it. Can I achieve that even though my starting point is very low?

Thanks in advance.

Try to take it timed and see where you need the most work. I don't even think I can break into the 160s timed and untimed I could probably hit the 170s, so it definitely matters...

But a 163 is a great starting point, time or untimed! Good Work!

I would plan on taking it when you have had time to devote to serious LSAT prep. You want to be consistently PT'ing a little above your target score range before you decide to sit for the test. So if you want a 170+, maybe wait until you are consistently scoring at 173-175...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:31 pm

I thought to myself that I could get quicker with time so I decided to keep a leeway of 5-7 minutes. I think the LR sections go down to 18 each (not sure), the LG goes down to 8 (for sure), and the RC goes down to 17 (I had one passage left when I ran out of time but I got all 7 questions correct in the 7 minutes I spent on the passage). This brings my score down to a 155.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Try to take it timed and see where you need the most work. I don't even think I can break into the 160s timed and untimed I could probably hit the 170s, so it definitely matters...

I would plan on taking it when you have had time to devote to serious LSAT prep. You want to be consistently PT'ing a little above your target score range before you decide to sit for the test. So if you want a 170+, maybe wait until you are consistently scoring at 173-175...

Thanks for the advice! I will take it timed and post my score here.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 pm

nyu2018 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice! I will take it timed and post my score here.

Sounds good! I don't think it will kill you that much... Might go down a couple points per section, but with some prep, that score will shoot right back up!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meeseeks

Silver

Postby meeseeks » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 pm

I'll echo what has been said in other threads. Once your start aiming for the top 5% timing becomes a critical. Taking a true timed PT will be a much better gauge of how far you need to go. You can always improve strategy and technique but timing will always be a constant. My opinion is to start with it rather than add it later. It could be demoralizing if you study for a month and take a timed test only to see you score drop (not saying that will happen), just my 2 cents.

HTH

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Hey, boss!

The 155 theory is nice and all, but action speaks louder than words;
until you come back with a timed score, where you lie is difficult to pinpoint,
and, let's be real, anyone could potentially get higher if given those extra minutes.
As for LG, it's very learnable and the easiest for many people for that reason, so you should be fine.
Seems your LR and RC are solid, though, and that's a good thing.

You might wish to take the June test.
If LG is the only problem section,
I think a few months should be more than enough time to get it down,
though if you feel you need to prep more, then wait until the very next one.
Good luck!

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Deardevil wrote:Hey, boss!

The 155 theory is nice and all, but action speaks louder than words;
until you come back with a timed score, where you lie is difficult to pinpoint,
and, let's be real, anyone could potentially get higher if given those extra minutes.
As for LG, it's very learnable and the easiest for many people for that reason, so you should be fine.
Seems your LR and RC are solid, though, and that's a good thing.

You might wish to take the June test.
If LG is the only problem section,
I think a few months should be more than enough time to get it down,
though if you feel you need to prep more, then wait until the very next one.
Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I did not realize the importance of taking a timed test. I will surely take one and get back to you guys

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:42 pm

You'll have to be timed for the real thing anyway, so it's good to start somewhere.
However, taking it timed (for me, at least) has always been frustrating;
I'd sit there on one problem, annoyed that I can't grasp the answer,
then pretty much lose precious seconds I could be spending on other questions.
That's why, first and foremost, you need to emphasis accuracy over speed.
I'm taking my first diagnostic at the end of June because my timing is still being improved,
and that's what I'd recommend: taking it later (at least have down some basics).
If you wish to take it now, that's fine too since I'm curious what your LR and RC scores are.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 pm

16/25 (attempted 21)

What do you guys think?

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Not sure why LG went up by so much...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 pm

nyu2018 wrote:Took a timed diagnostic test.

16/25 (attempted 21)

What do you guys think?

That's really not that bad for a timed diagnostic. When are you planning on taking the test?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:39 pm

16/25 (attempted 21)

What do you guys think?

Nice! Not bad at all... I think that puts you in a good spot to reach your target score. I'd say start with logic games, get comfortable with those and tackle LR next. You seem to need equal work in every section which is good IMHO. I got like -17 for LGs on my diagnostic so you're miles ahead of where I was, lol.

Give yourself 4-6 months of good prep and I think you should be in good shape to sit for the exam.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 pm

February or June 2017

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:49 pm

Just checking...You took a different test right? Lol

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

16/25 (attempted 21)

What do you guys think?

Nice! Not bad at all... I think that puts you in a good spot to reach your target score. I'd say start with logic games, get comfortable with those and tackle LR next. You seem to need equal work in every section which is good IMHO. I got like -17 for LGs on my diagnostic so you're miles ahead of where I was, lol.

Give yourself 4-6 months of good prep and I think you should be in good shape to sit for the exam.

Thanks for the advice.
What do you think should be my target score?
Should I just study from the LG and LR bibles?

Also, currently, I am reading philosophy journal articles, is that a good preparation for RC? or should I switch to reading philosophy books that interest me. Either way I would be reading what interests me and just want to know whether it would be worth it to switch from journal articles to books.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:55 pm

Clearly wrote:Just checking...You took a different test right? Lol

Yes, lol. I am very surprised too at the increase in my LG score.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I would say 156 is normal in the beginning stage.
Certainly not terrible and leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Yes, the PowerScore Bibles are pretty good for some foundation.
If you find yourself needing more, maybe augment with Manhattan Prep LR.
I think the articles may help, though definitely try something that challenges you, as RC would.
You want unfamiliarity that you would then convert into familiarity;
otherwise, you might as well just go with the The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Green Eggs and Ham.
Speaking of which, I kind of wish to revisit those books now lol.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Actually the articles are very challenging and I think most of the reason is because I'm not familiar with a lot of the material so I do not really digest all of the material, so I'm afraid they are challenging but not in a good way. The articles are 15-25 pages long so they are far from the length of RC passages.
Do you think they may still help?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:57 pm

nyu2018 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

16/25 (attempted 21)

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice.
What do you think should be my target score?
Should I just study from the LG and LR bibles?

Also, currently, I am reading philosophy journal articles, is that a good preparation for RC? or should I switch to reading philosophy books that interest me. Either way I would be reading what interests me and just want to know whether it would be worth it to switch from journal articles to books.

No problem!

I think your target score should be contingent on what schools you are aiming for. In any case, I would suggest letting the sky be the limit. Even if you want to attend a regional school, it is much better to do so on a full-scholarship and a high LSAT score will get you there.

What type of law are you interested in?

What region do you plan on practicing law in?

If you don't know the answers to these questions right now, that is more than OK. I think that is one of the biggest advantages to attending a top-tier school. And a good LSAT/GPA combo will make getting into these schools much easier. And you allow yourself more flexibility over where you can find employment and what types of law may be options. For example, it is much easier to get big law from a top school.

As far as prep material:

I think the Powerscore LG and LR Bibles are great. I bought the trilogy and thought the RC was more or less a waste of money.
Read through them and see how you are feeling. For some, that is all they need to do well as far as prep books.

I do think that there is a major advantage to getting different perspectives from different prep companies. I highly recommend the Manhattan LSAT trilogy. I think it does a better job at explaining certain types of questions. For example, many people prefer the tree-diagrams for Sequencing/Relative Ordering games as opposed to the Bible's way of doing it. Furthermore, I think they have a bit more of an advanced approach for those trying to score deep in the 90th%-tile. It is definitely worth checking out!

7Sage's free online LG explanations have also helped me enormously! It really helps to see how to do them in real time and how to approach the questions. And its free!

Also, make sure to get every practice test you can get your hands on. You'll want to use as many as you can for drilling and full-length practice tests.

As far as Reading comprehension, I think reading things like that may help. Others recommend things like the WSJ and The Economist. However, my advice is that the best way to prepare for RC is to just do RC sections. My thinking is that what better way to prepare for RC than doing tons of RC sections... There are 70+ LSAT available so you have plenty of material to work with. Use 1-40 for drilling, and the rest for full time practice exams or extra drilling if you need it. Just make sure to save the most recent ones to take as you get closer to the real thing.

Hope this helped a bit!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:06 am

nyu2018 wrote:Actually the articles are very challenging and I think most of the reason is because I'm not familiar with a lot of the material so I do not really digest all of the material, so I'm afraid they are challenging but not in a good way. The articles are 15-25 pages long so they are far from the length of RC passages.
Do you think they may still help?

Oh, I'm not denying the challenging aspect.
Just make sure they are indeed difficult to handle (initially, at least) to you.
I think they could be of good use, though I can't say for certain to what extent.
Besides reading, you'll want to highlight key points in passages, too.

nyu2018

New

Postby nyu2018 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:No problem!

I think your target score should be contingent on what schools you are aiming for. In any case, I would suggest letting the sky be the limit. Even if you want to attend a regional school, it is much better to do so on a full-scholarship and a high LSAT score will get you there.

What type of law are you interested in?
Anti-trust law. I'm an economics major and would hopefully like to do something related to economics.

What region do you plan on practicing law in?
NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston

If you don't know the answers to these questions right now, that is more than OK. I think that is one of the biggest advantages to attending a top-tier school. And a good LSAT/GPA combo will make getting into these schools much easier. And you allow yourself more flexibility over where you can find employment and what types of law may be options. For example, it is much easier to get big law from a top school.

As far as prep material:

I think the Powerscore LG and LR Bibles are great. I bought the trilogy and thought the RC was more or less a waste of money.
Read through them and see how you are feeling. For some, that is all they need to do well as far as prep books.

I do think that there is a major advantage to getting different perspectives from different prep companies. I highly recommend the Manhattan LSAT trilogy. I think it does a better job at explaining certain types of questions. For example, many people prefer the tree-diagrams for Sequencing/Relative Ordering games as opposed to the Bible's way of doing it. Furthermore, I think they have a bit more of an advanced approach for those trying to score deep in the 90th%-tile. It is definitely worth checking out!

7Sage's free online LG explanations have also helped me enormously! It really helps to see how to do them in real time and how to approach the questions. And its free!

Also, make sure to get every practice test you can get your hands on. You'll want to use as many as you can for drilling and full-length practice tests.

As far as Reading comprehension, I think reading things like that may help. Others recommend things like the WSJ and The Economist. However, my advice is that the best way to prepare for RC is to just do RC sections. My thinking is that what better way to prepare for RC than doing tons of RC sections... There are 70+ LSAT available so you have plenty of material to work with. Use 1-40 for drilling, and the rest for full time practice exams or extra drilling if you need it. Just make sure to save the most recent ones to take as you get closer to the real thing.
Whats drilling?
Hope this helped a bit!

Thanks a lot!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:27 am

I know people have said this, but please please please take a as close to test condition, timed diagnostic test before anything else! For some people, time might not make a huge difference, but you never know until you do it and 5 extra minutes can be A LOT of time on the LSAT depending on your pace. I mean, shoot. In the LG section, 5 minutes could be an entire game (or almost) depending on its difficulty level. 5 minutes could be the difference between reading a passage in RC and at least getting a chance to make educated guesses if you're short on time or having to blind-guess a set of questions. Very important to know! But definitely good starting scores for you!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:I know people have said this, but please please please take a as close to test condition, timed diagnostic test before anything else! For some people, time might not make a huge difference, but you never know until you do it and 5 extra minutes can be A LOT of time on the LSAT depending on your pace. I mean, shoot. In the LG section, 5 minutes could be an entire game (or almost) depending on its difficulty level. 5 minutes could be the difference between reading a passage in RC and at least getting a chance to make educated guesses if you're short on time or having to blind-guess a set of questions. Very important to know! But definitely good starting scores for you!

OP already updated us with their timed diagnostic

nyu2018 wrote:EDIT:

16/25 (attempted 21)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�