Need recommendations on a quiet place to study

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
olikatz

Bronze

Need recommendations on a quiet place to study

Postby olikatz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:13 pm

I just found out all the libraries in the county that I live in will be permanently reducing their hours on the 1st and will begin closing right when I get off of work. My entire study plan on weekdays depended on me going to the library right after work, but now I'm stumped on where I could go. Any suggestions? I basically just need somewhere with a desk. I could always study at home, but I feel as though there are many opportunities for distraction there. I know that some people go to Starbucks, but I don't think I'm ready to start studying with ambient noise just yet. Other than that I don't know where else to go.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Need recommendations on a quiet place to study

Postby proteinshake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 pm

I bought a desk and put it in my bedroom, which doesn't have anything in it besides a bookcase and closet/dressers, so there aren't any distractions unless I decide to browse the internet, which you could also do at the library. now I save driving time and can eat whenever I want, which is really convenient. is there really anything in your house that you couldn't stop from distracting you? I have this one and like it a lot: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30302299/ -- not very big though!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:23 pm

olikatz wrote:I just found out all the libraries in the county that I live in will be permanently reducing their hours on the 1st and will begin closing right when I get off of work. My entire study plan on weekdays depended on me going to the library right after work, but now I'm stumped on where I could go. Any suggestions? I basically just need somewhere with a desk. I could always study at home, but I feel as though there are many opportunities for distraction there. I know that some people go to Starbucks, but I don't think I'm ready to start studying with ambient noise just yet. Other than that I don't know where else to go.

Are there any universities near you? My schools library is open to the public until midnight.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
olikatz wrote:I just found out all the libraries in the county that I live in will be permanently reducing their hours on the 1st and will begin closing right when I get off of work. My entire study plan on weekdays depended on me going to the library right after work, but now I'm stumped on where I could go. Any suggestions? I basically just need somewhere with a desk. I could always study at home, but I feel as though there are many opportunities for distraction there. I know that some people go to Starbucks, but I don't think I'm ready to start studying with ambient noise just yet. Other than that I don't know where else to go.

Are there any universities near you? My schools library is open to the public until midnight.

or even community colleges. i've also studied at work after hours/on weekends.

olikatz

Bronze

Postby olikatz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:53 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

or even community colleges. i've also studied at work after hours/on weekends.

I thought about the local CC by my house but I would have to buy a parking pass and I would really only have about an hour to study before it closes. Small community colleges suck!

olikatz

Bronze

Postby olikatz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:58 pm

proteinshake wrote:I bought a desk and put it in my bedroom, which doesn't have anything in it besides a bookcase and closet/dressers, so there aren't any distractions unless I decide to browse the internet, which you could also do at the library. now I save driving time and can eat whenever I want, which is really convenient. is there really anything in your house that you couldn't stop from distracting you? I have this one and like it a lot: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30302299/ -- not very big though!

I might just stick to studying at home. I can always buy a good pair of earplugs and put the desk against an empty wall. Hopefully I can focus this way

New_Spice180

Bronze

Postby New_Spice180 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 am

olikatz wrote:
proteinshake wrote:I bought a desk and put it in my bedroom, which doesn't have anything in it besides a bookcase and closet/dressers, so there aren't any distractions unless I decide to browse the internet, which you could also do at the library. now I save driving time and can eat whenever I want, which is really convenient. is there really anything in your house that you couldn't stop from distracting you? I have this one and like it a lot: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30302299/ -- not very big though!

I might just stick to studying at home. I can always buy a good pair of earplugs and put the desk against an empty wall. Hopefully I can focus this way

I feel you with distractions at home. One thing that helped me focus/make me less distracted was the fact that I turned off my phone, any time I would be working with just packets I would have my computer closed and put away, and for the love of god don't have the television on haha! With these three things I was able to really hone in on increasing my focus, and I really have to emphasize putting the telephone away, doing this alone made my concentration sky rocket! :mrgreen:

legit

Bronze

Postby legit » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:22 pm

I know some people go to the grocery store to study during less busy times. Whole Foods has that section where you can sit to eat.

olikatz

Bronze

Postby olikatz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:37 pm

legit wrote:I know some people go to the grocery store to study during less busy times. Whole Foods has that section where you can sit to eat.

That's not a bad idea. I never thought about it, but there's a whole foods by my work that I can go to on my lunch break

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�