when can you tell you have to make frames for a game??

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cocoandcoconuts

New

when can you tell you have to make frames for a game??

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi,

Just as the subject says...when do you know you have to divide your original game board into some sub-game boards? After moving&trying to answer questions or while reading stimulus&rules?
When do you know it's easier to make frames?
Thanks!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: when can you tell you have to make frames for a game??

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:31 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:Hi,

Just as the subject says...when do you know you have to divide your original game board into some sub-game boards? After moving&trying to answer questions or while reading stimulus&rules?
Thanks!

When there are direct consequences on the other rules. That is what I learned from MLSAT and what I use.

Really it is subjective, there is no one answer. Whenever it makes sense to do for you. You never "have to" per say. But you'll see when there are clearly two possible worlds in which the rules are going to have a really different outcome. If it is something like" F can be first or last" I try to avoid it to save time. But if it works for you, do it. Just be cognizant of the time you are using and see if you are doing it the most efficient way.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momoyome

Bronze

Postby momoyome » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:40 pm

If I see a really restrictive rule, like a block, then I'll create sub game boards. But I only do this if I have only fourish possibilities and I see hat it'll help me. Sometimes making multiple game boards with one piece placed isn't going to do you much good.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:11 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:Hi,

Thanks!

When there are direct consequences on the other rules. That is what I learned from MLSAT and what I use.

Really it is subjective, there is no one answer. Whenever it makes sense to do for you. You never "have to" per say. But you'll see when there are clearly two possible worlds in which the rules are going to have a really different outcome. If it is something like" F can be first or last" I try to avoid it to save time. But if it works for you, do it. Just be cognizant of the time you are using and see if you are doing it the most efficient way.
momoyome wrote:If I see a really restrictive rule, like a block, then I'll create sub game boards. But I only do this if I have only fourish possibilities and I see hat it'll help me. Sometimes making multiple game boards with one piece placed isn't going to do you much good.

Thanks for the advice! :)
Btw...I heard there are "irregular" games showing up on recent exams...how do you prepare for those games?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:58 am

Yeah, my basic rule of thumb is if there are 1 or 2 rules that read something like "If not A, B." And A and B are somehow connected to other rules.

For instance, if there were a simple ordering game with seven pieces and you saw two rules that said,

"A is either 1 or 5"
"A is before both C and D"

It makes sense to split the board here, because A being in 5 tells you the relative location of C and D.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:50 am

Basically what everyone else said. It depends on the rules, and with practice you will begin to be more comfortable wit whether you should diagram all possibilities or not.

Like the examples they gave you already, that's how I determine if I split up my game boards beforehand or not.
"B is in slot 2 or 4".. like this you know that there are 2 possible scenarios right off the bat. Obviously there can be more with taking into account the other rules but for rules like this, you know you can split the board up if you feel comfortable doing so.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm

SweetTort wrote:Yeah, my basic rule of thumb is if there are 1 or 2 rules that read something like "If not A, B." And A and B are somehow connected to other rules.

For instance, if there were a simple ordering game with seven pieces and you saw two rules that said,

"A is either 1 or 5"
"A is before both C and D"

It makes sense to split the board here, because A being in 5 tells you the relative location of C and D.
TheMikey wrote:Basically what everyone else said. It depends on the rules, and with practice you will begin to be more comfortable wit whether you should diagram all possibilities or not.

Like the examples they gave you already, that's how I determine if I split up my game boards beforehand or not.
"B is in slot 2 or 4".. like this you know that there are 2 possible scenarios right off the bat. Obviously there can be more with taking into account the other rules but for rules like this, you know you can split the board up if you feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks! Those are really good advice for me...I will pay attention to those rules. Hopefully I will see the patterns as I do more games :)

Stardust84

New

Postby Stardust84 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Ideally, you know to do this when you are reading the rules/stimulus. I think you will get there after practicing a lot of games and recognizing game types and the best way to attack this. For example creating worlds in games can absolutely destroy a game for the right question type, but it require some upfront work and takes up time, and its better to not start a creating multiple game boards mid-way through the questions. With practice and a bit of exposure to games it will become intuitive when you should or should not employ various tools of attacking games.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 am

Stardust84 wrote:Ideally, you know to do this when you are reading the rules/stimulus. I think you will get there after practicing a lot of games and recognizing game types and the best way to attack this. For example creating worlds in games can absolutely destroy a game for the right question type, but it require some upfront work and takes up time, and its better to not start a creating multiple game boards mid-way through the questions. With practice and a bit of exposure to games it will become intuitive when you should or should not employ various tools of attacking games.

Btw is this true for the irregular games that appear recently?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�